By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: Nintendo Wants To "Suprise Gamers" With NX

the_dengle said:

It sounded that way at first, but I can see how you meant it differently. Bolded was kind of Justin's point -- he basically said that the fewer consoles he has to buy, the better, because he would have more cash to spend on games. For him, who will buy all of the consoles anyway, it's a moot point in this discussion because either way we're talking about what Nintendo's next hardware will (or should) be like, not whether they should drop hardware entirely and move to another console. For others, who have to choose between consoles due to a more limited budget, that is the be-all, end-all of the discussion.

Which console gives the best bang for my buck? Is it worth buying the Nintendo console for what few games it gets, considering it won't get most of the high-profile third-party games? Is it worth buying a Wii U as a second console, considering it costs as much as 5 brand-new full-priced games, or about a hundred games during a Steam sale?

Ultimately when it comes to products like these, each person's choice is their own. It's tough to choose between two different things that appeal to you when you know you can't afford both, but it's a choice people have to be able to make daily on everything from what to buy for dinner to which pair of shoes you want more.

It would be great to have a console that meets both our desires, and such a thing is theoretically possible as none of them contradict each other, but it is unreasonable to expect such a thing. Even partnering with DeNA (and I don't doubt that there are some great improvements coming to Nintendo's online network this year and in the future thanks to that), I wouldn't ask Nintendo to provide the same level of support Sony and Microsoft provide without adopting their subscription model, and given the choice between the two I'd take the comparatively bare-bones, free version.

I think NX is a handheld, so I absolutely don't expect main series Final Fantasy and GTA games to be on it. Not sure how you think that could happen.

well due to multiple threads relating to NX. I've also mentioned there that if NX is handheld or home console. if the speculation is NX = home console then Nintendo might want to try to get the big 3rd party IPs like those titles.  of course, if it is handheld we won't be able to get those type of games.

back to being suprise gamers - there were speculation about having 3d glasses.  some point in the IGN threads this could be paid subscription with IPs for free or discount like PSN have currently. who knows but those are some basic features Nintendo wanted to incorporate once they have NX with the DENA account unification model. 

Around the Network
Mr.GameCrazy said:
Materia-Blade said:

That would be almost no upgrade over wii u. much less than half of the upgrade between GC and wii

How much GFLOPs does the Wii U have?

Only nintendo knows. but ps360 are in the 200 gflops range and wii u is a good jump over them.  With that in mind, saying a 2-3x increase would make the wii u successor have 700-800 gflops is highly inaccurate.

Materia-Blade said:
Mr.GameCrazy said:

How much GFLOPs does the Wii U have?

Only nintendo knows. but ps360 are in the 200 gflops range and wii u is a good jump over them.  With that in mind, saying a 2-3x increase would make the wii u successor have 700-800 gflops is highly inaccurate.

Every report I have seen says the Wii U is about 350 gflops......

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Materia-Blade said:

old subject not worth debating. every report you have seen didn't come from nintendo and was merely speculation (without much basis)

Conegamer said:

For a console which we aren't supposed to know much about...we're definitely hearing a lot about it. 

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata touched on the company’s new gaming system, NX, during an interview with Japanese publication Nikkei. He suggested that the company’s plan is to surprise gamers, as simply expanding upon existing hardware makes things “dull.”

Iwata’s full words:

Yeah I'm not sure what to think about this. It's definitely sounding less and less like a "proper console" but obviously a long way to go yet. Hope the surprise is a positive one!

Source

I have to admit, the term "proper console" pisses me off. Every console is a "proper console" as it is genuine to what it is. I'm not sure what people actually think proper means, but it seems the term is not being used properly :P. 'Traditional' would likely suit the ideal that many are trying to convey. 

Don't take offense by this post, just something I have been seeing a lot of recently. I will agree that it sounds less like it is going to be a traditional console, but that doesn't mean that it won't still act as one with more options, kind of like the Wii U for most games. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Around the Network

Historically to be honest there isn't room for three consoles that do the same/similar thing.

90s ...

SNES
Genesis
Turbo Grafx 16 (failed)

Playstation
N64
Saturn/Dreamcast (failed)

PS2
XBox (probably would've finished around 30+ million had MS supported it past 2005)
GameCube (failed)

PS4
XBox One
Wii U (failed)

Yes, the X360/PS3/Wii generation had three, but that doesn't really help the point of Nintendo fans who claim three consoles doing the same thing are viable, as the Wii was a full generation behind the PS3/360 in tech and succeeded mostly off a 4-5 year motion gaming fad with casuals.

The general audience doesn't want three different console ecosystems to choose from. They want one usually lead platform, and then another competitive format to keep the market leader in check, and that's basically it. A third platform trying to compete on largely the same merits always gets trounced.

Ka-pi96 said:
Soundwave said:
Historically to be honest there isn't room for three consoles that do the same/similar thing.

90s ...

SNES
Genesis
Turbo Grafx 16 (failed)

Playstation
N64
Saturn/Dreamcast (failed)

PS2
XBox (probably would've finished around 30+ million had MS supported it past 2005)
GameCube (failed)

PS4
XBox One
Wii U (failed)

Yes, the X360/PS3/Wii generation had three, but that doesn't really help the point of Nintendo fans who claim three consoles doing the same thing are viable, as the Wii was a full generation behind the PS3/360 in tech and succeeded mostly off a 4-5 year motion gaming fad with casuals.

The general audience doesn't want three different console ecosystems to choose from. They want one usually lead platform, and then another competitive format to keep the market leader in check, and that's basically it. A third platform trying to compete on largely the same merits always gets trounced.

There's a couple flaws with that. For starters the 2 gens that PS won (can probably add current gen to that as well) it wasn't just one console that got trounced. Secondly, the Wii U isn't similar at all to PS4 and Xbox One yet is still doing poorly.

Well doing something differently isn't a sure fire recipe for success either. The Wii more likely was a once-in-every-20/30 years type of phenom catching lightning in a bottle for a few years. 

The point is though at no point other than in the midst of the Wii fad has there ever been three highly successful console platforms at once. 

The mainstream audience just doesn't want that much choice. People generally like clarity and simplicity in their format choices -- ie: iOS and Android, but everyone else is having a helluva time getting traction as the third option. 

People don't want that many choices. It's too much to think about for something that's largely trivial to their lives. Coke and Pepsi, ok, but not RC Cola. Message board gaming fans like the ones on here love game platforms and fetishize them and love the little intracies and differences, but the general consumer doesn't want all that. They don't want to have to research platforms or have like 3+ confusing different choices in front of them. 

Materia-Blade said:
zorg1000 said:

old subject not worth debating. every report you have seen didn't come from nintendo and was merely speculation (without much basis)

And what is ur basis for not believing it? Just because u want it to be higher?

U are way too defensive about Wii U, just get over it and accept Wii U is closer to PS3/360 in terms of specs than it is to PS4/XB1

It's not like Wii U games somehow are better by pretending they run on more poweful hardware than they really do. Games like Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart, 3D World, Smash Bros, etc are still amazing games whether the hardware is 350 gflops or 700 gflops.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Materia-Blade said:
zorg1000 said:

And what is ur basis for not believing it? Just because u want it to be higher?

U are way too defensive about Wii U, just get over it and accept Wii U is closer to PS3/360 in terms of specs than it is to PS4/XB1

It's not like Wii U games somehow are better by pretending they run on more poweful hardware than they really do. Games like Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart, 3D World, Smash Bros, etc are still amazing games whether the hardware is 350 gflops or 700 gflops.

The basis are wii u games. the ones you mentioned couldn't run on a 350 gflops gpu. and there are even more technically advanced games about to release (zelda, xenoblade x).

Soundwave said:

The NES probably was the Playstation 4 of its day. The Sega Master System (ironically) is basically what Nintendo has turned their console division into (niche side product, no third party support, great 1st party games). 

Wasn't the reason the Master System had so little (it did have some) 3rd party support, due to the fact that Nintendo forced all 3rd party NES developers to be exclusive to them?

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.