By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Is VGChartz biased?

I think this site will always be slanted to whoever is selling the most per month. If you're a fan of Nintendo, and you get to post about how cool your Wii is all day, and its also selling the best, then it makes you feel good. For instance, if Wii wasn't selling that well, I would probably avoid these forums so people don't rub it in my face. (Nintendo fan here)

Around the Network
Dolla Dolla said:
Unfortunately, any site that focuses on hard numbers is biased toward Nintendo. A sad truth.

True, and it's not like we can "forget" reality just to make some people feel better.

Nintendo fans knew for the last two generations that their console was the loser.

If fans of the most "kiddie" console maker can take bad news like men, then it would be the epitome of irony if fans of "mature" consoles couldn't.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

I'll re-read and answer the original question again:

"Simple question - do you think the VG Chartz community is biased?"

Yes - the community itself is definitely biased. Not the moderators, not the people running the site - but the community. There are definitely more pro-Ninty people here, and if by "community" you mean "forum posts" - then its a resounding yes.

The real question is - does it matter?

I don't believe the sales figures are biased in anyway - they are based purely from "fact", with no illegal weighting thrown in.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

you will always have bias. Fanboys always come out when their console is ontop.

larry said:

But ofcourse this forum is much better than neogaf where xbot puts Halo 3 above FF13 and Crysis

Why is Crysis such a big deal? cause it looks really good? At least those other two are franchises you know you're getting quality (most likely)...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

How long has this site been established?

It would be interesting to see how the forum posters' bias has shifted from last generation to this, because personally I think it just has to do with the numbers.

I bet last generation Sony fans were doing the same thing that Nintendo fans are currently doing. I bet if Xbox had the upper hand next generation the bias would shift in its favor. Simple as that. Whoever wins will have the majority of voices, so this bias is perfectly understandable and is expected.

Of course, if you want to get rid of the "fanboy wars", setting up something along these lines might work:

Nintendo Forum

Sony Forum

Microsoft Forum

Warzone Forum

...pretty self-explanatory stuff. Trolls, flaming and all the "negative" vibes are concentrated in the Warzone Forum, and if you post there, you are fair game.

The CVG forum is pretty much like that (sans Warzone Forum) and you can see it's quite civil.

Anyhow, my two cents'...

kber81 said:
Am I a next candidate for a ban?

i don't think so.

you are never attacking someone direct - i usually like/respect your posts

the sales numbers are pretty unbiased , but in the forums it just seems to me like many Wii-fans are pummeling and bullying especially those PS3-fans ,that are easiliy aroused

like there always was a negative sidekick against kwaad in every post - the last posts I saw from him didn't seem overly aggressive to me , but he still was provoced from all sides

PinkPoop said:
The forums are pretty ridiculous, but that shouldn't have anything to do with the reporting of your sales data. If anyone asks, be sure to clarify that the forums do not represent the opinions of the vgchartz operation. On that note, you should probably force your moderators to include a signature that clarifies they do not represent the main goal of the site, since alot of them appear to have the N written in ink on their foreheads.

I'd agree with that. Also like the idea of having a fovourite console, and having to have that to enter the separate forums, although there should still be one main one that anybody can enter.

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

The people that write here in the forums are mostly biased .I also tend toward the PS3 this time and it is boring to have all those peple convincing themselves and trying to convince we that the war is over ,sony is doomed and 6 years of Mario and Nintendo love await for us with people buying 2 or 3 Wiis or DS as the most charming and wonderful life in this world .

As for the site I dont think they are biased but they are human and they have their preferences .For example Ioi was "Wii gamer " not so long ago .In the data I think they try  to do their best but their sources are probably somewhat biased .The numbers of the PS3 arent adjusted to lower ever becasue they always use the minimum estimation available ,while they are very generous with the X360 and Wii .For example last month the data for the X360 and the Wii was 350K and 400K until NPD gave the real data and adjusted it to 199Kand 259K..but the PS3 data remained about the same .This happens many times .And that lends me towards thinking the sources may be somewhat biased towards the X360 and the Wii .