By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Bloodborne Review Thread - MetaCritic 93% ~ GameRankings 91.47%

Torillian said:
mornelithe said:

As long as the MP environment they are using is the exact same environment as your everyday joe, I'm fine with it.  Wasn't Driveclubs network connectivity issues so unexpected because reviewers had used an internal system, rather than the live one?

Yeah, so while they get to play around with all the MP options, they usually won't get to use the same environment.  Hard to get rid of that problem though because there are never going to be enough review copies to load up servers like a full release.  As far as I know it's usually the same network but under far less stress than it will be at actual launch.  

This is just my experience the few times I got an early review copy though, and is likely not always the case.  

Well, that speaks of some issues right there.  First, you have devs utilizing reviewers as a pathetic means of stress testing?  Awful.  Blizzard uses this bullshit line when they horrifically screw up a launch in WoW (Met a guy on one of their QA teams at Blizzcon, said they usually stress test w/ 30-50 people...what the hell??).  The problem I have with that is devs and publishers (at this point), have laundry lists of people who play their titles (uplay, steam, origin, battle-net etc...), to claim they weren't able to stress test properly, is blatantly false and kind of tells be they're cutting corners.

Actually asked Bashiok (Blizzard/WoW), why they don't simply send out a worldwide communique to all active WoW players and say, we need you to log in on the PTR, and go to this area to fight this boss for X amount of time.  Framing it as a stress test.  You can't tell me several hundred thousand bored individuals wouldn't do it, just for shits and giggles.

Now, for a company like Evolution, they could simply rely on Sony's most avid group of users (going by gamer time/score etc...), and see if they can get people to log in en-masse to do stress testing for a new/upcoming game.  Make them all sign NDA's (or tie it into PSN EULA for those specifics services etc...), and ban accounts if people are posting video (if the company feels that strongly about it).

And reviewers then, at this point, should also know better.  If they know that they're on a sterilize network, that hardly reflects reality...shouldn't they simply scrap all MP facets of the review process until post-launch?  I hate to keep bringing up Driveclub, but, that was a huge failure on Evolutions part, but quite a big failure on reviewers part as well.  Granted, a reviewer will never know that a launch will have issues to the extent that DC did, but the picture they painted was clearly not reality.  And that would push me (if I wrote) to be cautious about MP reviews, pre-launch. 

Around the Network

mornelithe said:
Torillian said:

Yeah, so while they get to play around with all the MP options, they usually won't get to use the same environment.  Hard to get rid of that problem though because there are never going to be enough review copies to load up servers like a full release.  As far as I know it's usually the same network but under far less stress than it will be at actual launch.  

This is just my experience the few times I got an early review copy though, and is likely not always the case.  

Well, that speaks of some issues right there.  First, you have devs utilizing reviewers as a pathetic means of stress testing?  Awful.  Blizzard uses this bullshit line when they horrifically screw up a launch in WoW (Met a guy on one of their QA teams at Blizzcon, said they usually stress test w/ 30-50 people...what the hell??).  The problem I have with that is devs and publishers (at this point), have laundry lists of people who play their titles (uplay, steam, origin, battle-net etc...), to claim they weren't able to stress test properly, is blatantly false and kind of tells be they're cutting corners.

Actually asked Bashiok (Blizzard/WoW), why they don't simply send out a worldwide communique to all active WoW players and say, we need you to log in on the PTR, and go to this area to fight this boss for X amount of time.  Framing it as a stress test.  You can't tell me several hundred thousand bored individuals wouldn't do it, just for shits and giggles.

Now, for a company like Evolution, they could simply rely on Sony's most avid group of users (going by gamer time/score etc...), and see if they can get people to log in en-masse to do stress testing for a new/upcoming game.  Make them all sign NDA's (or tie it into PSN EULA for those specifics services etc...), and ban accounts if people are posting video (if the company feels that strongly about it).

And reviewers then, at this point, should also know better.  If they know that they're on a sterilize network, that hardly reflects reality...shouldn't they simply scrap all MP facets of the review process until post-launch?  I hate to keep bringing up Driveclub, but, that was a huge failure on Evolutions part, but quite a big failure on reviewers part as well.  Granted, a reviewer will never know that a launch will have issues to the extent that DC did, but the picture they painted was clearly not reality.  And that would push me (if I wrote) to be cautious about MP reviews, pre-launch. 

Don't worry, my man. I am certain that BloodBorne won't suffer the same fate DriveClub did. Miyazaki-San has had too much success for him to just create a dud.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

Here's a review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz7SlFqGMm8

The PS5 Exists. 

OnlyForDisplay said:
mornelithe said:

Don't worry, my man. I am certain that BloodBorne won't suffer the same fate DriveClub did. Miyazaki-San has had too much success for him to just create a dud.

This isn't just about Bloodborne, it's about the review process in general.  If reviewers know the version of the MP network they're using is very likely not the same network that'll be used for launch...why wouldn't they hold off on that part of the review until post-launch?

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
Here's a review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz7SlFqGMm8

That's freakin awesome

mornelithe said:
OnlyForDisplay said:
mornelithe said:

This isn't just about Bloodborne, it's about the review process in general.  If reviewers know the version of the MP network they're using is very likely not the same network that'll be used for launch...why wouldn't they hold off on that part of the review until post-launch?

I suppose they want their opinions out before the competition. Other than that, I am not sure.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

28 pages already ? Without any review yet ? : D

mornelithe said:
Torillian said:

All very fair points, and I'll answer on the reviewer side of the comments.  

I agree that any review before the actual release of a game should let the reader know that the actual functionality of the multiplayer could change for launch and therefore their experience will differ from that of the reviewer.  In a perfect world I think I'd prefer that reviews are written a week after launch for online focused games to let the network stabilize, but unfortunately that isn't always the case.  

Another Youtube review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3VZW-7GpUg

The PS5 Exists.