By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - This Is For All Of Those That have finished school or Are Soon Going To:

sc94597 said:

1. I'm not sure how accurate this is. Yes, people want to retire with a safety net and monetary cushion, but not all people are striving to be as rich as possible. I think it is more important to do something you like in the process of obtaining that money. Plenty of CEO's who understand finances perfectly and can make money easily, kill themselves because their lives are stressful. People don't go to school to be retired and rich when they are 50-60. They go to school so they can live a good life when they are 20-50 and THEN retire with a safety net. I personally don't go to school so that I can get a job in an area I like solely because I will have a safety net when I'm 50-60. I will work so that I can live a good life up to and after those ages. If money were the only motivational factor I'd just go into finance or engineering rather than pursue a physics degree with endeavors to be a researcher rather than those other things. I gain personal value in addition to monetary value by persuing such an occupational choice. 

2. Only 1% of the population is living comfortably retired? Or only 1% of the population is rich? Rich is relative. I consider most Americans pretty rich compared to people found elsewhere in the world. Most Americans above 60 are able to eat, partake in recreational activites, and do not have to work full-time to pay their expenses. That is pretty good compared to other places in the world. 

3. I was confused about that with the MBA statement. It seemed to imply that higher education is a waste as well. I agree, fiscal education should be an important part of school. And I am also opposed to government "schooling." That doesn't make the rest of what you learn in school useless, however. And while I believe public schooling is a very inefficient and controllable endeavor, it is still realized that the main demand for it deals with useful skills like reading, writing, mathematics, and history. Sure there are gaps in what they teach, but that is probably due to the inefficiencies of a the education system being publicly designed for a common denominator. In that I agree with you. 

Your right and maybe my point kind of came off kind of pushy. I'm not claiming to know how the world works or how people feel, but its basic knowledge that when you talk to people about money they always talk about being rich or living the dream. I'm not saying people should try to make as much money as possible, I'm saying school should be teaching people about finance and accounting especially in highschool. I don't know about plenty of CEO's killing themselves due to stress, but I do know that people in general kill themselves due to stress and that CEO's generally have to bring their work home with them. CEO's got to where they are not because of the love for money (you never want to work somewhere for money, you wnat your money to work for you) but because they love what they do. The richest people in the world do what they want to do which is why I agree with you that people should do what they want to do.

Every single sector in the world gets innovated in one way or another. The best way to innovate is to know what your doing, the best way to know what you are doing is to educate yourself. You should never educate yourself only if your are interested in what ever you are educating yourself with.

Here's the thing though, most people don't retire with a good enough pension. But if they had even the most general knowledge of finance and took control of their own portfolio they not only could have retired earlier but with a lot more financial wiggle room. People talk about it but aren't willing to put in the time.

Keep going for your physics degree, don't stop, I hope your successful, you seem smart. But there comes a time in EVRYONES life where they must sustain certain aspects. Health, wealth, love and happiness are imo the most important factors to living the good life.

1% of the population controls 99% of the wealth. Very sad fact. You say most Americans over 60 live comfortably but actually most have big debt bubbles and there are other reasons why its not a pretty picture for Americans over 60.

Education means to bring out of someone, school puts information INTO people. MBA doens't offer a higher education, it just gives you information and that's all it can do. If someone went to school for 4 years for business, but another person simply opened up there own business that person would learn more in a year then the person who went to business school for 4 years.

Around the Network

I miss my old school, my fun moment with my friend, and my old neighborhood.

A_C_E said:

Education means to bring out of someone, school puts information INTO people. MBA doens't offer a higher education, it just gives you information and that's all it can do. If someone went to school for 4 years for business, but another person simply opened up there own business that person would learn more in a year then the person who went to business school for 4 years.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post. I just want to say though that what one learns by opening their own business and what one learns with an MBA are quite different. MBA's have their own value, but they don't replace experience, nor does experience replace all knowledge one gains in the process of an MBA (sometimes a general analysis is useful.) If they were replaceable uses of ones time then there would be a demand for one or the other, and not both. I do think, because of subsidies and price barriers in the economy certain degrees are oversaturated and that is why people who think they only need a degree to succeed are out of luck. On the otherhand, there are some things you won't gather from intuition. Without a knowledge of microeconomics and organization/planning deriving from such knowledge, many firms wouldn't have been successful as they have been, and that is principally a subject-area that one can only gain so much from intuition. 

A_C_E said:
School is a waste of time because it teaches you to become an employee. You here it all the time, "Go to school, get a better job." It doesn't matter what school 'teaches' you because it has almost zero application to real life and how real life actually works. Look at MBA's, 9/10 times they become glorified bean counters because school can't teach you hard work or motivation it just tells you what to write down and you are most likely to pass.

School is soooo easy to get good grades but it teaches no valuable knowledge.

Go ahead, go to school and get a better job, the more money you have the more money you spend. Your not getting ahead of anyone when your living from paycheck to paycheck. School never taught me about financials, the stock market, taxes, business.

If I could have all the time from school back I would skip that valueless part of my life and go straight to building my life, my business and my portfolio. I'd be retired alot!!! faster if the school system knew anything valuable.

Completely disagree. To get good grades where I am, you have to fucking work your ass off. Even then, it's not "easy" to get a good grade. If @bold is referring to high school, middle school, etc. then maybe. But if you're including all of higher education as well, then I would say you're flat out wrong.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Slarvax said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Isn't it pretty much the same thing? US people call it college, non US people call it University?

In Canada, college is like a pre-uni or another year of highschool. If we can trust my sister that is. 

Well it depends on where in Canada you take your schooling. Quebec has a different system than the rest of Canada; see Crafty's post for that. Here in western Canada once you graduate from High School (at either age 17 or 18 depending on birthday) you can choose to:

1. Go to College: You can get a 2 year Diploma in many different courses on their own (suh as Criminal Justice to become a Police Officer) or you can pick specific classes so that your Diploma will equate to the first 2 years of a University Degree. That is what I am doing (perhaps that is what your sister meant?)
  2. Go to University: Here you can get a 4 year degree in lots of different specializations, and then choose to pursue a Masters (2 years of Grad school) and even a Doctorate after that (4 additional years).
  3. Go to Trades school: Basically its 6 weeks in the classroom learning about your trade (electrician/carpentry etc.) and 12 weeks apprenticing at a job under a Journeyman.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Around the Network
Slarvax said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Isn't it pretty much the same thing? US people call it college, non US people call it University?

In Canada, college is like a pre-uni or another year of highschool. If we can trust my sister that is. 

Nope. You can't trust your sister.  Here in Canada Collage is more trade or work related. If you want to get a diploma to be a plumber or electrician you go to college.  University is more for pure learning, with degrees such as Science or Arts. You also go to University for professional fields such as Engineering or Law.

That said, Colleges are increasingly offering more diverse content, with programs now including 2-year business, IT or nursing type disciplines.  Those courses can often be transferred to University to complete 4-year degrees.

Welcome to Canada!!!

Mr.Playstation said:

How did you feel ounce you finished school? Sad, happy, neutral.....( Schools does not refer to uni/higher education )

Would you like the time you spent in school to come back?

I'm finishing school next week and I just can't bear the fact . This is the last week where I will have a class, which remains the same and not just a couple of random people I only have one subject in common with .

I want hot school girls and school trips to come back.

I dont want exams and learning crap to come back.

School is a flawed system. It tries to teach you alot of unimportant things in the least entertaining way possible.
Its full of losers called teachers (biologists/chemists etc) that could be clasified as C TEAM because instead of having achieved something and having earned a Nobel Prize or whatever teach a group of kids some crap. There is a reason why teachers are teachers and NOT important personalities of our time. And not having the slightest idea about social education does not help teachers at all because they never learned how to deal with other humans and how to teach them stuff.

And its grade system is completely arbitrary. I can be mediocre in English class and get a C/3. A friend of mine in another school  thats not even half as good as me but is the best in his class gets a B/2.  The grades are not consistent at all its just a retarted rollercoaster and even having two different classes in the same school ends in arbitrary grades.

At universities its a partially different story tho. You have smart professors and sometimes even high profile guest lecturers visit your class.

Sad to leave school? Not really. It's been 15 years since I left and I would say life has onlyvgotten better. You stop learning about the world and start living it. Rather than imagine driving around downtown playing GTA, you can actually drive downtown in your car. Your life is yours.
That said, of course there are days when I miss life at home with my parents and the potential and carefree life of youth. But people are meant to grow up and many great things are ahead of you. You will be happiest if you eembrace them.

Tbh come Year 9 I was so over school that those last 4 years were a fucking grind. I was barely friends with my friends so leaving them wasnt an issue. The real problem was finding a job in a city with the highest unemployment in the country. Been out of school for a year and a half now and I still havent started working (although I just got a job, just havent started). Sitting around bored for that long isnt easy to deal with.
Maybe now that I have a job and can start earningsome kind of cash things might be better, wouldnt ever want to live my high school days again. In saying that I wouldnt mind doing it again if it could be different.
If I were to relive my school days I would want it to be my last year of Primary School.

I was popular but hated school. Kinda left everything behind last year and went to home schooling for a girl I thought I loved though XD now Im in my last semester before its over at an online academy