By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Dallinor said:
Garcian Smith said:
Saying a game is better than FF7 is like saying a band's album is better than Britney Spears.

But anyway, Lost Odyssey does look pretty good. What's the battle system like, exactly?

"The issue many took with Lost Odyssey was its deliberately old-school gameplay mechanics, particularly the traditional combat system, which several critics found to be dull and dated, as well as the game's use of random battles, which were further deemed an issue by their purportedly lengthy load times.Critics were also divided on the story, with some, like Gamespy, calling the plot and characters "shamelessly derivative".

It's a very good point. I love JRP's because of the above reasons. If the reviewers gave these reasons then FF7 today would score the same as Lost Odyessey.

This Thread is for RPG fans, who like JRPG's. On that note it's everything my original post said. 

It's an awesome JRPG. 

Around the Network

@Munkeh111

Believe the hype Lost Odyssey is a very good game. The writing and dialog are fantastic. The storyline is a little weak near the end however. Which is probably due to setting the ground work for a sequel or even a trilogy. The combat system is very good. The game is very cerebral. The leveling system is very rewarding.

I am not entirely sure why the game was dead panned by many reviewers. Either they aren't big fans of the genre, or are far too jaded. Frankly not being revolutionary isn't a valid argument for or against a game. So much so that it isn't even applied correctly. I think if you use that as a metric you should absolutely use that as a metric for every game you review, and if thats the case a title like Smash Brothers should get points deducted for being too close to the previous installment, or the upcoming Grand Theft Auto for that matter.

Anyway its a very good game. Well worth the money, and well worth picking the console up for it. The console is especially worth picking up if you like this specific genre it will be quite some time before the other two consoles can even start to catch up.

Heres the rest of the start of the game. Enjoy.

Either play your mates from the start to decide if I'm right or watch these. This should convince you.
Reviews are all for western style games now. I'd give Lost Odyssey so far 97.

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_5568_en.html

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_5574_en.html

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_5577_en.html

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_5580_en.html

i'm about 13hours into it and i have to say the story is brillant and it helps make this rpg extremely good. i can deal with the battle system as its simple enough and the ring system makes u pay attention to what your doing.

when it comes to the review of this game i find it hard to agree with any of them as they are puinishing it for not bringing anything revolutionary to the table, but then again most games don't.

but back to the point its a great game and one of the best rpgs out right now. best rpg i've played since FFX

wii friend code: 3164-3458-9149-5470

PSN ID: youjiro87

360 Gamertag: PM me to find out!

From my favorite site, gamekult.com, (french one) :

the game is too CLASSIC, and the artistic style is inegal
it is not a bad game, it is good, but not amazing.

Time to Work !

Around the Network
Dodece said:
@Munkeh111

Believe the hype Lost Odyssey is a very good game. The writing and dialog are fantastic. The storyline is a little weak near the end however. Which is probably due to setting the ground work for a sequel or even a trilogy. The combat system is very good. The game is very cerebral. The leveling system is very rewarding.

I am not entirely sure why the game was dead panned by many reviewers. Either they aren't big fans of the genre, or are far too jaded. Frankly not being revolutionary isn't a valid argument for or against a game. So much so that it isn't even applied correctly. I think if you use that as a metric you should absolutely use that as a metric for every game you review, and if thats the case a title like Smash Brothers should get points deducted for being too close to the previous installment, or the upcoming Grand Theft Auto for that matter.

Anyway its a very good game. Well worth the money, and well worth picking the console up for it. The console is especially worth picking up if you like this specific genre it will be quite some time before the other two consoles can even start to catch up.

I thought it got points of cause of long load times, which were actuallly better in the retail copies.

Anyway, this game is making me consider getting a 360, and the price cut might make the decision easier, but it won't be till the summer.

Also, I am told that there were only 4 discs in this game to remind people of FF VII. If Oblivion managed to fit onto 1 disk, I don't see how this needed 4

4 discs because the game is absolutely massive. Coupled together with the best graphics this gen by some way. Once you play you will see why.

LOL

so

is it better than FFVI///probably not

FF7 wasn't even the best FF imo

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Dallinor said:
Metacritic:

Final Fantasy 7: 92%
Lost Odyssey: 79%

Sales:

Final Fantasy 7 = 9.78 million
Lost Odyssey = 340K

I'm not saying the game is bad, but Final fantasy VII was a much bigger success both critically and sales wise. With some critics claiming FFVII "redefined the RPG genre".

Final Fantasy VII is the most overrated game of all time. It has horrible story, weak characters, and awful gameplay. I wouldn't insult Lost Odyssey or any other good RPG for that matter by comparing it with Final Fantasy VII.

I was so excited when LO was first being shown then the reviews kindda knocked that back a bit.

Once i started playing tho its awesome.... this is the first time in a long time i am 10+ hours into a JRPG and am not losing interest in the game... 

Better then FF7 eh i don't know about that i mean they did it first so prolly not but LO is a good game but i happen to like that combat system because i can control everyone not just the AI running stuff for me.