By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Nintendo NX and Mobile Press Conference: What was said, what wasn't, what to take away

Great thread. Nintendo normally operate on a 5-6 year console cycle so a new console launch in 2017 sounds about right. This could really catch Sony / Microsoft napping as they probably won't be looking to launch a new console till 2019 / 2020

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:

So Nintendo announced a lot of things:  NX, Mobile, apps on various smart devices outside that.  And this has caused complete chaos on the internet, as expected. 

So in an attempt to curb some madness, let's break this down, specifically the two biggest items: NX and Mobile.  No click bait, no alarmism, no more panic, no more melodrama.  Just what was said, what wasn't, and what we can take away (and what we cannot)........

No click bait? No alarmism? No more panic? No more melodrama?

You must be new around here :P

In all seriousness though, excellent post! Mostly what I had gathered from my brief readings yesterday but great to have all the FACTS in one spot.

How do you know what it does not mean?

Lawlight said:

I was going by what was actually said, not by what people are willing to read into it.  As of right now, according to what is actually known, what I have listed are things that the statements, taken at face value and in the context given, don't mean.  I could have listed more, rather absurd things, but I focused mainly on tose alarmist/sensationalist sentiments spread by the clickbait-driven internet "media."

Shadow1980 said:
Soundwave said:

We had the market referendum on what people want between a console that is more like a consumer electronics device with multiple functionality, versus one that is deeply rooted in being "only" a game platform. 

That was what the whole PS2-GameCube era was about. And people voted, and Sony won by a landslide. 

Sony's approach won out. Arguing about it now doesn't make much sense IMO.

Uh, no, it wasn't. DVD players were already dirt cheap by time the PS2 came out. You could buy one from Wal-Mart for $100. Gamers didn't prefer the PS2 because it had DVD functionality. They preferred it because it was well-marketed and PlayStation was perceived as a superb brand, because it had the most games (GTA being especially huge), and because it had a reasonable price, which was slashed to only $200 in May 2001. That its only competition for its first six months was the Dreamcast and it had no "official" competition for its second six months probably provided a bit of an assist as well. PlayStation was huge, period, with the PS1 selling over 7 million in the U.S. in its peak year (1998) and the PS2 selling over 8.5M in its peak year (2002). The PS2 succeeded for the same reasons its predecessor did, not because of its non-gaming features. Nuvendil went over a lot of the other things that needed to be said regarding the sixth generation and the PS2 vs. GC contest, so I'll refer you to his post instead of repeating everything.

Actually I know a lot of people that wouldn't budge on buying a GameCube even at $99.99 because they saw the extra value in DVD playback, so he explained to me that even though the PS2 was more expensive it was simply more "worth it" in his eyes to pay the extra $70 to get the PS2. And he liked Ninetndo, but he switched over to Sony that gen. 

Yes many households did have one standard DVD player, but in 2000s a lot of the DVD players in dorm rooms and bedrooms were indeed the PS2. 

$99 DVD players from Wal-Mart in fall of 2000? I think you might be exagerrating that point too. Maybe the absolute crap brands, but at that Sony as an electronics brand still had catchet. 

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
Lawlight said:

I was going by what was actually said, not by what people are willing to read into it.  As of right now, according to what is actually known, what I have listed are things that the statements, taken at face value and in the context given, don't mean.  I could have listed more, rather absurd things, but I focused mainly on tose alarmist/sensationalist sentiments spread by the clickbait-driven internet "media."

But you don't know how much resources will be taken away from the 3DS. That should be in the "we don't know" category.

Lawlight said:
Nuvendil said:
Lawlight said:

But you don't know how much resources will be taken away from the 3DS. That should be in the "we don't know" category.

Hmmm.  I suppose it could use a double reference like the launch date in the last part, where we do not know it is coming out in 2016 but we don't know when it is coming out in general.  According to what is said, Nintendo is still very dedicated to dedicated gaming devices and their experiences there, which would necessitate taht they aren't neutering those offerings to build their mobile lines.  I can reword that section to express this better.

I wonder if the NX platform may incorporate or even be centered around that 3D glasses patent Nintendo made several months ago:

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/22968/article/nintendo-patents-a-3d-eye-tracking-device/

The kinda interesting (or maybe annoying depending on how you look at it) is the glasses patent covers things like the glasses being able to create smells/aromas and simulate things like wind blowing against the person's face, lol. 

So maybe this is going to be the centerpiece part of the NX platform (console version anyway)?

I've seen people saying Nintendo stock went up 26% what about DeNA stock? Sounds like DeNA just made a killing in one day with this deal, did Nintendo see similar returns with their investment in this company?

This is a repost since Curl's thread seems dead.