By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Nintendo NX and Mobile Press Conference: What was said, what wasn't, what to take away

Soundwave said:
Nuvendil said:
Soundwave said:

That exists. It's called a Playstation 4. 

It's not like that is any new type of product category, Sony/MS basically still adhere to the same business model (1st party games + royalty licensed third party games) established by the NES even in inflationary terms $200 for an NES in 1985 would be close to the PS4s price today. 

They just took the concept and today market it to adults/teenagers first and foremost, but even that was simply a natural evolution of the NES formula. 

Well, somewhat.  Playstation 4 still suffers some issues of this focus on multitasking.  It has a bloated PC-esque OS that takes up 3.5 gigs of it's RAM; if it took up, say 1 gig similar to Wii U's, it would give them 7 gigs of GDDR5 to use for games rather than 4.5 gigs (yes, the 3.5 are reserved).  The PS4 and Xbox One also use what are not so far from off the shelf parts rather than more custom made hardware designed for maximum gaming efficiency.  Compare this to PS3, Xbox 360 and of course the GameCube in the sixth and seventh gen where all of those used proprietary, unique hardware with every aspect focused on gaming to allow for devs to get right down to the metal and get the absolute max out of the hardware in question.  That's at least a part of what I am saying.  Interface and input efforts are also other areas where you can look into providing a console-only experience. 

People don't want a game console that does nothing but play games anymore. The GameCube tried that and Nintendo was forced to cry daddy after getting beat by both Sony and even newcomer MS. 

All game systems now have allotments for non-gaming functionality, but even that really is not out of line with the original Famicom concept. Yamauchi had the Famicom do many things, a lot of people don't know this but the Famicom could was a networked machine, Nintendo had a deal with a Japanese telecom company that allowed the system to use a modem and go online. 

I think they wanted people to be able to do things like buy/sell stocks, check the news/weather, etc. on it. This is way back in 1987 or so. 

The PS4 may actually have more in common with the NES than the Wii U does in a lot of other ways too. The NES was largely made off off-the-shelf components, just like the PS4 is, whereas the modern Wii U is a fairly propietary design. 

Like I said, the reason I think a dedicated gaming focus will increase in the near future is because people will have the means to do those other functions in their living room anyway, having those in the consoles is redundant and just drives up the price for no recognizable returns. We are talking 2017 and 2018, not this year, and things are moving fast. 

Comparing Wii U and PS4 is a bit unfair since PS4 is using off the shelf parts, yes, but Wii U is bogged down by the cost of the gamepad so the proprietary aspects of the Wii U's inards can't do much good as a result.

Also, GameCube suffered from numerous other issues, you can't take the numbers in a vacuum.  Complete lack of marketing, poor shelf image (it looked like purple lunch box), restrictive proprietary mini-disc format that tanked their waning 3rd party relations, rapid price cutting that caused consumer price uncertainty and torpedoed any perception of value.  Really, it's not a very fair comparison. 

And times have changed a huge deal since the NES days, the infant years of consoles.  You can't really make comparisons to that gen.  SNES gen and onwards are more valid. 

But this is just what I think will happen, it's not guaranteed, and things could change or not go as they appear to be. 

Around the Network

Great thread. Would like to see a section added about ther new membership service as well if you don't mind, just to consolidate all the important info in one place.

One thing in interested in is, will mobile games have Amiibo support? If so, that would likely help Amiibo sales increase exponentially

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

the_dengle said:
Great thread. Would like to see a section added about ther new membership service as well if you don't mind, just to consolidate all the important info in one place.

Might do that.  I was mainly focusing on the points that would cause the most chaos and confusion in the coming days.  We all know how the games media likes to do their "journalism" shtick whenever something like this is even mentioned, much less given a press conference :P

My guess:
Nintendo just bought a mobile company to develop android/iOS games.
NX -> Nintendo Cross. Nintendo handled copatible with android software. You can get all mobile Nintendo games on platform and it's very accessible for mobile developers.

Around the Network

wrong thread

Nintendo NX

N = Nintendo
X = Cross

This is the cross breed system that has a portable side and home console side. This will have a dual launch of both systems and crazy single threaded game development.... in Holiday 2016.

This year is final year of big games for 3DS and WiiU. 3DS got a minor upgrade for this year to continue with buzz and drive sales. WiiU gets some awesome games this year plus Zelda to be its swan song.

2016 will be all about Nintendo NX.

2015 will be nothing but rumors and speculation.

Early 2016 will have a brief unveiling.
E3 will be its full debut plus games.
Plus all eshop 3ds/wiiu/vc/mobile titles will play it forward on said device.
Plus disc wiiu games and gamepad.

More traditional game controller similar to pro controller with optional gamepad-like experience if you buy the portable system for $129 that downloads games from console/eshop or streams wirelessly from console/internet.

$349 Holidays 2016.

Quote this bitch.

Shadow1980 said:
Soundwave said:

People don't want a game console that does nothing but play games anymore. The GameCube tried that and Nintendo was forced to cry daddy after getting beat by both Sony and even newcomer MS.

If people wanted a console that did more than just play games, people would have been all over the "All-in-one Xbox One." As it was initially marketed, it was supposed to be the ultimate extension of all the non-gaming features added to the 360 over the course of last generation. That obviously didn't help them any. People buy game consoles to play video games. MS made the mistake of assuming that because lots of people were using their 360s to watch Netflix that that was a necessary feature. Of course, it seems obvious now that people were using their 360s to watch Netflix because it was there and they probably didn't have a smart TV or Roku. The 360 grew into its role as a "not just games" game console, but it didn't sell on the merits of its non-gaming features. It was selling well before Netflix was added in 2008. Sales didn't exactly budge when it began adding more non-gaming features.

The idea that non-gaming features are major selling points seems rather ludicrous. Systems sell on other merits, namely the right combination of games library, pricing, and marketing. That's why the GameCube didn't sell well. That's why the Wii U isn't selling well. That's why the PS2 dominated (standalone DVD players were already cheap by 2000, so don't bring that up), why the PS4 is on top, and it's also why the 360 beat the PS3 in the U.S. Consoles don't need to be bloated with a bunch of non-gaming apps to sell. Considering all the options available today for streaming video, social networking, and whatnot, it should have been clear than the XBO as an "all-in-one" platform wasn't a good idea, and that non-gaming features aren't true selling points. I have a smart TV for Hulu and Netflix, and I bought a good low-price Blu-ray player over two years before the PS4 came out. Why would I need all that stuff on a $400 console that won't even be out for another three years?

There's really nothing fundamental the "all in one" XBox One does that the PS4 doesn't. 

People want Netflix, Hulu, NFL/NBA/NHL streaming, online store access, maybe Twitter/Facebook integration. The PS4 does all the same things. 

The X1 doesn't even record TV, it just piggybacks off your existing cable box. 

Given the $100 difference between the two at launch it was fairly obvious Sony was going to start fast, and that's just snowballed now, the average joe is more inclined to buy a PS4 because average joe's friend already has a PS4 and he wants to be able to play Calladooty online with him/her. So it becomes a snowball effect that MS is having trouble countering now even with a lower price. 

Even the TV remote functions of Kinect ... you have to speak very carefully and say pretty exactly the right thing other wise it doesn't work half the time. After about ten minutes of trying it I just switched back to my TV remote. Far easier, far faster. 

It sure will be interesting to see all the various things Nintendo has going on in the next 2 years.

Quality of Life+Mobile gaming seems to be their strategy of winning back the expanded audience they had back in the Wii/DS era and their dedicated gaming hardware will be for their core gaming audience.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

This does tilt likelihood of a 2016 launch for the new console a bit. Maybe 2016 will be all about phasing in the new online platform and Nintendo will make up for exhausted 3DS sales with mobile revenue.

I still see a hard push through 2016, software-wise, unless they unload some Wii U/3DS titles to beat this E3.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.