By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Nintendo NX and Mobile Press Conference: What was said, what wasn't, what to take away

Very good thread.

Around the Network

2016 will be an interesting year but I think we might get an idea as to whether or not its a handheld or console based on e3 2015. If 2016 is full of wiiU games, its a handheld, if its not, then idk

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Shadow1980 said:
Nuvendil said:

Good point on the redefining aspect.  That could mean a lot.  One thing I think all three companies (or two if Microsoft leaves) will do next gen is focus on the idea of game consoles as specialized gaming devices.  For the latter half of last gen and then this gen, consoles have tried to be all things to all people to a degree, with a large emphasis on multitasking in the living room.  But with smart devices - especially smart TVs - absorbing those functions, the greatest market for consoles is them being just that - consoles, targeting that enthusiast market who really wants that dedicated device, turn-key experience for gaming.  I expect each will try it their own way, but I think that this is fairly guaranteed.  Nintendo branching into mobile could help them do this, as they can bump a lot of casual or non-gaming/pseudo-gaming apps and functions to those devices. 

Taking consoles back to their roots would technically be "redefining" them, and I'd be fine with a redefinition being a reversion back to a previous definition. Nintendo should go back to their roots with what put them on the map in the first place. An NES for the modern age, so to speak.

That exists. It's called a Playstation 4. 

It's not like that is any new type of product category, Sony/MS basically still adhere to the same business model (1st party games + royalty licensed third party games) established by the NES even in inflationary terms $200 for an NES in 1985 would be close to the PS4s price today. 

They just took the concept and today market it to adults/teenagers first and foremost, but even that was simply a natural evolution of the NES formula. 

the smartest and most level headed post ive seen today by the OP. thumbs way up

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Soundwave said:
Shadow1980 said:
Nuvendil said:

Good point on the redefining aspect.  That could mean a lot.  One thing I think all three companies (or two if Microsoft leaves) will do next gen is focus on the idea of game consoles as specialized gaming devices.  For the latter half of last gen and then this gen, consoles have tried to be all things to all people to a degree, with a large emphasis on multitasking in the living room.  But with smart devices - especially smart TVs - absorbing those functions, the greatest market for consoles is them being just that - consoles, targeting that enthusiast market who really wants that dedicated device, turn-key experience for gaming.  I expect each will try it their own way, but I think that this is fairly guaranteed.  Nintendo branching into mobile could help them do this, as they can bump a lot of casual or non-gaming/pseudo-gaming apps and functions to those devices. 

Taking consoles back to their roots would technically be "redefining" them, and I'd be fine with a redefinition being a reversion back to a previous definition. Nintendo should go back to their roots with what put them on the map in the first place. An NES for the modern age, so to speak.

It's not like that is any new type of product category, Sony/MS basically still adhere to the same business model (1st party games + royalty licensed third party games) established by the NES even in inflationary terms $200 for an NES in 1985 would be close to the PS4s price today. 

They just took the concept and today market it to adults/teenagers first and foremost, but even that was simply a natural evolution of the NES formula. 

Well, somewhat.  Playstation 4 still suffers some issues of this focus on multitasking.  It has a bloated PC-esque OS that takes up 3.5 gigs of it's RAM; if it took up, say 1 gig similar to Wii U's, it would give them 7 gigs of GDDR5 to use for games rather than 4.5 gigs (yes, the 3.5 are reserved).  The PS4 and Xbox One also use what are not so far from off the shelf parts rather than more custom made hardware designed for maximum gaming efficiency.  Compare this to PS3, Xbox 360 and of course the GameCube in the sixth and seventh gen where all of those used proprietary, unique hardware with every aspect focused on gaming to allow for devs to get right down to the metal and get the absolute max out of the hardware in question.  That's at least a part of what I am saying.  Interface and input methods are also other areas where you can look into providing a console-only experience, but developing these can bloat costs.  See Wii and Wii U for that :P

Around the Network

I am suggesting OP writing to be added in NintenDomination thread Cone.

Nuvendil said:
Soundwave said:
Shadow1980 said:
Nuvendil said:

Well, somewhat.  Playstation 4 still suffers some issues of this focus on multitasking.  It has a bloated PC-esque OS that takes up 3.5 gigs of it's RAM; if it took up, say 1 gig similar to Wii U's, it would give them 7 gigs of GDDR5 to use for games rather than 4.5 gigs (yes, the 3.5 are reserved).  The PS4 and Xbox One also use what are not so far from off the shelf parts rather than more custom made hardware designed for maximum gaming efficiency.  Compare this to PS3, Xbox 360 and of course the GameCube in the sixth and seventh gen where all of those used proprietary, unique hardware with every aspect focused on gaming to allow for devs to get right down to the metal and get the absolute max out of the hardware in question.  That's at least a part of what I am saying.  Interface and input efforts are also other areas where you can look into providing a console-only experience. 

People don't want a game console that does nothing but play games anymore. The GameCube tried that and Nintendo was forced to cry daddy after getting beat by both Sony and even newcomer MS. 

All game systems now have allotments for non-gaming functionality, but even that really is not out of line with the original Famicom concept. Yamauchi had the Famicom do many things, a lot of people don't know this but the Famicom could was a networked machine, Nintendo had a deal with a Japanese telecom company that allowed the system to use a modem and go online. 

I think they wanted people to be able to do things like buy/sell stocks, check the news/weather, etc. on it. This is way back in 1987 or so. 

The PS4 may actually have more in common with the NES than the Wii U does in a lot of other ways too. The NES was largely made off off-the-shelf components, just like the PS4 is, whereas the modern Wii U is a fairly propietary design. 

Nuvendil said:
Soundwave said:
Shadow1980 said:
Nuvendil said:

Well, somewhat.  Playstation 4 still suffers some issues of this focus on multitasking.  It has a bloated PC-esque OS that takes up 3.5 gigs of it's RAM; if it took up, say 1 gig similar to Wii U's, it would give them 7 gigs of GDDR5 to use for games rather than 4.5 gigs (yes, the 3.5 are reserved).  The PS4 and Xbox One also use what are not so far from off the shelf parts rather than more custom made hardware designed for maximum gaming efficiency.  Compare this to PS3, Xbox 360 and of course the GameCube in the sixth and seventh gen where all of those used proprietary, unique hardware with every aspect focused on gaming to allow for devs to get right down to the metal and get the absolute max out of the hardware in question.  That's at least a part of what I am saying.  Interface and input methods are also other areas where you can look into providing a console-only experience, but developing these can bloat costs.  See Wii and Wii U for that :P

well x86 hardware is not the problem here, the focus of consoles  the main objective for most of old Nintendo fans hoping is to make normal console without gimmick like the pad or Wii mote, and make it powerfull , eventho i dont get the point why they should return to old market while they getting a lot profit from casual with their Wii .

Hopefully this helps people calm down, though I don't know why people are freaking out, not like Iwata hadn't mentioned it in the past, he did said Nintendo was planning on bringing small games to the mobile market to work as advertizement for their main consoles, they just acquired part of DeNA to work with this, and to use their knowledge of mobiles, for those small games to actually work. Simple as that.

They did leave that NX thing as quite the enigma, but I'll say it is truly the fusion console so many speak of, with NX being for Nintendo Cross, refering to a crossing/fusion of their two consoles is incoming.

COMG guide to points: 1 point = Raging. 2 points = Beasting. 3 points = Tearing it up. 4 points = Berzerk. 7 points = Rampage. 12 points = Burst. 15 points = god mode. 20+ points = DIVIDING BY ZERO!!! 40+ points = Youkai (originally Pokemon).

-1 = Negabeasting. -5= NegaRampage. -10 = NegaBurst

Soundwave said:
They said something about it redefining what it means to be a game console.

My guess is this will be similar to the Wii or Wii U (take your pick) and not a "conventional" type of console. Weird/cool/crazy/wacky controller + unified OS + average/low specs is what I'd expect.

And they really can do whatever the hell they want now. With smartphone games giving them a steady future second revenue stream now, the pressure is really off Nintendo.

Yes.. it will..  And a litle thing to think about..

What do all other do.. google.. sony.. MS.. valve.. samsung.. facebook..

What use Motion, gyro and a wireless.. lagless external screen..

What product is it Nintendo allready believed in almost 20 years ago..

Ontopic: this looks very good for Nintendo..And i think WiiU will benefit alot of this to..