By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New Nintendo Platform Teased at Conference, "NX"

Soundwave said:

Nintendo doesn't need third parties anymore. They will be one of the biggest smart device game providers in a year or two, if not no.1 hands down. They also don't have to worry about casuals or kids anymore, their games being on iOS/Android cover that.

They can do whatever they want with NX. It probably being a fusion platform means they don't even need third parties to have a steady release flow of games anymore.

They won't have to do things like make two different versions of Smash Brothers for each device, they'll be able to easily scale up/down a game like that and put it on all their NX devices.

Screw GTA. They don't need it. My guess is they will be even less communicative with third parties now, especially Western ones. It's just never been a good fit between the two, now they can do as they please. 

I actually think too if their movie licensing/TV licensing works out well, they're going to make a ton of money off of it. They're going to become sort of like LEGO, a brand that's become much bigger than just toy blocks, in the same way Nintendo is going to become bigger than just video games. 

Now that they're not walled in only to their own shrinking propietary hardware they can reach far more kids with things like smartphone games and animated movies. 

Their revenue streams will be:

Dedicated gaming platform Fusion (handheld part/console part), big part of the library shared (maybe Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros)

Quality of Life

TV Shows (Zelda Netflix)

Mobile apps and games

From 1 to 3 in just few years, damn. Looks like they clearly won't need full third party support.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

There's a fundamental issue with Nintendo and third parties too is that the demographic for third parties games simply doesn't suit the types of games Nintendo floods their platforms with.

Going from the cheery, happy world of Mario into running over prostitutes and shooting cops in GTA just doesn't go together.

Yes, sure, Nintendo tries maybe once or twice a generation to throw at a violent title of their own, but like Bayonetta 2 they usually end up with mediocre/lukewarm sales at best.

Most of the big gun third party IP that even Nintendo fans clamour for (c'mon Ubi Soft give us Watch Dogs, not some stupid Rabbids party game!) simply doesn't fit the demographic of the console.

Sony and MS' who make games like Uncharted, The Last of Us, Halo, Forza, etc. themselves fit the demographics of the types of games third parties go after. They market during the NBA Finals and FIFA World Cup and NFL football games. Nintendo markets on Nickeldeon during cartoon blocks. If you're making a game like Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty, it's fairly obvious which platform is going to be your bread & butter. 

Nintendo will always have problems with third parties. Games like LEGO, Mickey Mouse, Just Dance, are the types of third party games that perform better and that's why third parties stick with that. It's more logical sense to them and the numbers are there to back it up.

The top selling Wii third party games are things like Just Dance, Zumba Fitness, Michael Jackson: The Experience, Deca Sports, Carnival Games, Sonic Colors, various LEGO games, etc. Even once in a blue moon when a more violent third party game sells OK on a Nintendo platform, like say Resident Evil 4, it usually ends up selling even better on either the Playstation and/or XBox, so again, third parties don't really swoon if maybe one of their games does OK. 

Partially true, but you are forgetting that Nintendo had in its bag last gen the most mature market: daddies, soccer moms and grannies, the same that are mature in the real world and won't waste their time with games that fails to be cinematic/wannabe movies. They enjoyed games, like Rol said, like Wii Sports or Wii Fit. Getting fit for them is a high priority in the world right now, and I'll go even further and say that if the VItality Sensor has been launched working perfectly and focusing on something as normal as the stress, it would have been a big hit.

These games are the ones that actually changed the perception of the gaming industry, not those long boring cutscenes.

That's part of why they are going mobile, to reach once again that perception. Remember that Nintendo's enemy is Apple because they have the dominance over its platforms, content and price. Sony and MS are no match and their profit practices are way inferior to Apple.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

zorg1000 said:
DanneSandin said:

I think you're bringing up  VERY interesting point, although you don't adress it at all; what price point will the NX games have?! If they are part portible and part stationary... What price should they have? Will Nintendo sell certain games at $60 and optimize them for the home console and others for $40 optimize for portability?

Try that calculation but have MK NX at $40: 15m x 40 = 600,000,000 + 100,000,000 in DLC.... in this case they're making 30% less...

I figure we will see a pricing tier like this

Low budget, eShop titles, $10-20

Mid budget, handheld experiences, $30-40

High budget, console experiences, $50-60

So in this case, I would put Mario Kart as a $60 release

Seems like a pretty reasonable pricing order... They could price certain (less well known) series and price them at $40, like Kirby, and that would probably sell more copies than it would otherwise

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

ReimTime said:
DanneSandin said:
ReimTime said:

Oh I agree it would be a great thing to have, but as a sheer bonus. I don't know many people that buy Nintendo consoles for the thirdy party stuff. I buy Sony for most of my games, and Nintendo for couch co-op/1st party. To each their own, though!

And that's why I'm in this thread arguing with everyone =/ I say Nintendo should treat 3rd parties properly so they get proper 3rd party support and even develop similar games of their own to lead the way. But no one seem to agree with me.

I agree that 3rd party support would be nothing but positive for Nintendo

Seems like we two are the only ones with that mindset ^^

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
ReimTime said:

Well really though why wouldn't it be lol Nintendo won't lose anything if the 3rd party stuff doesn't sell well. They can only gain. It's the developers that lose out if sales are unsatisfactory

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
zorg1000 said:

I figure we will see a pricing tier like this

Low budget, eShop titles, $10-20

Mid budget, handheld experiences, $30-40

High budget, console experiences, $50-60

So in this case, I would put Mario Kart as a $60 release

Seems like a pretty reasonable pricing order... They could price certain (less well known) series and price them at $40, like Kirby, and that would probably sell more copies than it would otherwise

Yep and u see that now with Kirby, Triple Deluxe-$35, Rainbow Curse-$40

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

DanneSandin said:
ReimTime said:

Nah, I can name a lot of people that agree with you.

It's just that people who don't agree will respond to your comments, not as much as those who do :P

I do see what they are trying to get at though..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Barkley said:
Materia-Blade said:

This was discussed to hell and back. YOU SHOW ME A SOURCE, because so far there aren't any. Repeating, there is no source, just VERY vague speculation. And considering wii u's performance, the gpu definetely has more than 0.35 tflops.

To this day, third parties never complained about wii u's memory.

Wii u's read speed seems higher, though. games aren't supposed to ever be installed on a video game.

"though it's a severe pain in third-parties ass compared to developing for ps4/xbo/pc."

Or the other most probable option that starts with b.

I did just show you a source, yes they came to the conclusion through EDUCATED speculation but it's worth far more than your or my word alone. If ram wasn't an issue all the consoles would be using 2gb of ram.

This discussion really seems to be pointless however, It's very very clear how different the WiiU is compared to the other two consoles. The bigger the difference between one system and the other the more effort is required to port between. This is UNDISPUTABLE. Not sure why i'm even arguing this, when it's clear as day.

Is it the only reason third parties aren't developing for WiiU?  No.

Is it the main reason? Probably not.

Does it make developing for the WiiU more difficult for third party developers? Of course it does, this is a fact.

"I did just show you a source, yes they came to the conclusion through EDUCATED speculation but it's worth far more than your or my word alone."

It is worth nearly nothing/nothing when the speculators themselves say they don't know what a third of the gpu does and that it's different from any off the shelf gpu they've seen.

"If ram wasn't an issue all the consoles would be using 2gb of ram."

That doesn't sound logical at all. Nintendo added eram instead of increasing the ram total. the others don't use edram.

for the rest, I repeat what I said about scalable tools and the difference between systems being far smaller than the exaggerated "consensus".

DanneSandin said:

Why don't you go a head and adress the other 3rd party games I mentioned then? How could Ubisoft be happy with Red Steel 2 selling 600k? Or No More Heroes? Truth is, mature 3rd party games on Wii didn't do all that well, especially if you compare it with how well they did on PS360

Maybe not compared to PS3/360, but you have to remember Wii games were usually cheaper to make and didn't need to sell millions to turn a profit.

Eurocom said they were pleased with Goldeneye 007 sales on Wii.

COD was proftable for them to bring 5 of them to Wii year after year.

Resident Evil 4, Umbrella Chronicles, and Darkside Chronicles all pulled decent numbers.

Mature games on Wii could sell acceptably well if they were appealing enough.

ReimTime said:
DanneSandin said:

Well really though why wouldn't it be lol Nintendo won't lose anything if the 3rd party stuff doesn't sell well. They can only gain. It's the developers that lose out if sales are unsatisfactory

In fact it's totally the opposite, as this gen proves painfully for Nintendo. The only one who loses on 3rd party stuff not selling on N consoles is Nintendo. They lose the extra money Sony/MS get from every copy of 3rd party software sold and they lose in the eyes of gamers for not having games gamers want or having inferior versions of these games. This gen proves bluntly that 3rd parties don't need Nintendo at all. For all they care, Nintendo could leave the business, nothing would change for them. On the other hand the exodus of the 3rd parties caused Nintendo to suffer for 3 years now and puts their next home console under a big question mark. Ditching 3rd parties forces Nintendo to make a massively risky and innovative move just to stay in the business. Seeing Nintendo struggling to survive clearly shows who's boss and who needs who.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.