By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo and mobile company DeNA form alliance, will make apps featuring Nintendo IP

Anfebious said:
Justice was served today. Finally all those poor people around the world that own a smartphone will be able to play Nintendo games.

They'll get to play smartphone games with Nintendo IPs. No word that Nintendo will actually make them, or port their actual games.

Around the Network
bunchanumbers said:
Is it wrong to think that Nintendo should make a phone? A mobile phone with dedicated controls would be something special if it comes from Nintendo. It would fit in with their new plan, and it would get people on the Nintendo bandwagon because they would only need one device.

While a Nintendo phone would be cool it would have to run Android with custom firmware if it wanted decent support and Nintendo are cheap and woulndt want to make a premium devive like the flagship phones

curl-6 said:
Anfebious said:
Justice was served today. Finally all those poor people around the world that own a smartphone will be able to play Nintendo games.

They'll get to play smartphone games with Nintendo IPs.

Until Nintendo notice handheld gaming is dying off and there is money to be made on mobile =P

This is definitely a big move. I am cautiously optimistic of Nintendo's future in the mobile department. If Nintendo could survive the abomination of the CD-i games, this can't be that bad...right? ...right?

curl-6 said:

As Emily Rogers just said, games like Style Savvy, Brain Age, Nintendogs, Art Academy, Pushmo, etc could benefit greatly from this, that way their big guns wouldn't be devalued.

Truth. The problem with Wii U is that Nintendo was trying to be like a two-headed turtle; didn't want to abandon their roots of "accessible" hardware and didn't want to walk away from all of the Expanded Audience money, but also wants to move upstream given that basically nobody else is making family-friendly premium software anymore.

This means they could move upstream with NX (without taking MS/Sony head-on, which is still a losing proposition) and rejuvenate the Touch Generations brand.

The absolute key is to keep the premium software premium, though. Do not put anything resembling mainline 2D/3D Mario, mainline Pokemon, Kart, Smash, Zelda, etc on other platforms. Do not put virtual console titles out on other platforms. Otherwise the bottom falls out of the dedicated market.

"Online membership" is what worries me here.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
naruball said:
Mummelmann said:

So they are coming into the game (pun intended) about a decade too late then? They really haven't learned much at all, it seems. Also; I will laugh pretty hard if this has a monthly or annual fee.

I don't think there will be anything to laugh about. Even it's a monthly fee it will be done in a totally unique and innovative way that only Ninty can think of and would thus be totally ok.

Let's not create strawmen, shall we?

ktay95 said:
curl-6 said:
Anfebious said:

They'll get to play smartphone games with Nintendo IPs.

Until Nintendo notice handheld gaming is dying off and there is money to be made on mobile =P

Still doesn't mean their actual games will go to mobile, when it's more profitable to make cheap and simple app games rather than full fat experiences.

I don't get all the doom and gloom?

In correlation with NX news this makes me really excited for what Nintendo is planning. If this is successful (it should be), it will free up a lot of the pressure Nintendo has on their handhelds/home consoles to be highly accessible machines. We might actually get machines which aren't outdated on release and aren't afraid to go all out in delivering the best possible gaming experiences, online included. We might see them actually invest in AAA titles outside of Zelda (and I guess X).

Will wait to see what they port before making any statemenr.

Mummelmann said:
ihatefatkatz said:

Better late than never, I suppose. Still, DeNA seems more competent in the online space, so it is probably better this way, than getting a half-ass attempt from Nintendo.

Last sentence is key; they should have gotten help with their online infrastructure ages ago.

I think this could work if they're smart about it.

"Help" was the problem before. Old WiFi Connection ran almost entirely on GameSpy infrastructure.