By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo and mobile company DeNA form alliance, will make apps featuring Nintendo IP

the_dengle said:
vivster said:
Gratz. Step one to become 3rd party successfully completed :)

As usual, Nintendo is lagging several years behind Sony and Microsoft on this front.

Soon they'll all be 3rd party to mobile and/or PC and we will all be happy. Finally we can stop the console wars and get some good old fashioned Intel vs AMD vs Nvidia shit going :)

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

yup it's just a new product that branching out from their main product, maybe it will be a special games, service or device solely made for mobile that will not harm their handled and consoles sales.

streaming service also quite possible, even Nintendo Fusion Concept is also a great move, i don't see they are coming to mobile industry very soon

Darwinianevolution said:
Talal said:
I totally expect high scale games like Animal Crossing and a main Pokemon game to be released on smartphones. Just imagine how much a Pokemon game would sell to a user base of billions. And it's not like they are too complex to play on a smartphones. They don't need buttons to play.

They won't bring any main series Pokemon game to mobile. Pokemos is its main system seller, they move it to mobile, and Nintendo will have to abandon the handheld scene.

Maybe not a new Pokemon game. Pokemon Red/Blue would be huge though since so many people born in the 80s and 90s are very nostalgic to the first generation.

The start of Nintendo slowing transitioning into third party?

This move sounds like it could make or break Nintendo....or still does nothing for it :/

Mummelmann said:
ihatefatkatz said:
Nintendo is also introducing a online membership service.

"Nintendo and DeNA also plan to develop an online membership service that is accessible from smart devices, PC and Nintendo systems, such as the Nintendo 3DS portable system and the Wii U home console. The membership service, which is targeted to launch in the fall of 2015, will be built on DeNA's extensive experience and capabilities in online membership services"

Source:

http://globenewswire.com/news-release/2015/03/17/715764/10125108/en/Nintendo-and-DeNA-Form-Business-and-Capital-Alliance.html#sthash.v3y1GTZK.dpuf

So they are coming into the game (pun intended) about a decade too late then? They really haven't learned much at all, it seems. Also; I will laugh pretty hard if this has a monthly or annual fee.

Better late than never, I suppose. Still, DeNA seems more competent in the online space, so it is probably better this way, than getting a half-ass attempt from Nintendo.

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
The start of Nintendo slowing transitioning into third party?

This move sounds like it could make or break Nintendo....or still does nothing for it :/

I think the plan is to make it a side-channel for income, mostly. My issus is this; if they do not dedicate larger resources to this, the games will be cheap and basically more like what others release on mobile devices (and also competing more closely with them) and if they do allocate large resources for them they will launch games in a market that has little to no interest in paying more than a few bucks for their games and their home console/handeld games will suffer in some way.

Unless they expand their studios a great deal; which will cost them a lot of money, and there is still no guarantee that this move will be a win in the long run.

All in all though, I think this is a good move for them even though I might not personally like it since I don't game on mobile devices, and this can be a great help if pulled off correctly.

Also; Vr0cK: I think this move is to ensure that they don't need to become a 3rd party on consoles. They keep making their own exclusives on their platforms and develop/publish games on mobile as a 3rd party on the side, that's the only thing that makes sense to me.

ihatefatkatz said:
Mummelmann said:

So they are coming into the game (pun intended) about a decade too late then? They really haven't learned much at all, it seems. Also; I will laugh pretty hard if this has a monthly or annual fee.

Better late than never, I suppose. Still, DeNA seems more competent in the online space, so it is probably better this way, than getting a half-ass attempt from Nintendo.

As long as they don't put the multiplayer under a paywall, it will be fine.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

ihatefatkatz said:
Mummelmann said:

Last sentence is key; they should have gotten help with their online infrastructure ages ago.

I think this could work if they're smart about it.

Darwinianevolution said:
ihatefatkatz said:
Mummelmann said:

As long as they don't put the multiplayer under a paywall, it will be fine.

Not sure it will remain that way. Nintendo has been making big moves lately with QOL and now this. The same old Nintendo may be changing its ways to remain stronger for the future. I would hate to pay for online, but I don't think it is out of the question.

Okay, read the article now: Its just a new platform. Nintendo also confirmed a new console is on the way and will more than likely launch in 2017/18 which fits well. As long as they keep most of their resources to the dedicated market I wont mind. They could put games like Pokemon shuffle and such on that new platform.

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD