By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo and mobile company DeNA form alliance, will make apps featuring Nintendo IP

ihatefatkatz said:
Darwinianevolution said:
ihatefatkatz said:
Mummelmann said:

So they are coming into the game (pun intended) about a decade too late then? They really haven't learned much at all, it seems. Also; I will laugh pretty hard if this has a monthly or annual fee.

Better late than never, I suppose. Still, DeNA seems more competent in the online space, so it is probably better this way, than getting a half-ass attempt from Nintendo.

As long as they don't put the multiplayer under a paywall, it will be fine.

Not sure it will remain that way. Nintendo has been making big moves lately with QOL and now this. The same old Nintendo may be changing its ways to remain stronger for the future. I would hate to pay for online, but I don't think it is out of the question.

Nintendo isn't exactly on a position of strenght. Most of Nintendo's best selling titles are multiplayer, yes,  but in this moment they are alone in the market. They have almost no third party support, and the games they have that use multiplayer frequently are scarce. They can't alienate their fanbase with a move like this. Entering mobile will grant them a new audience and some extra cash, but taking away free features can only anger their customers.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
ihatefatkatz said:
Nintendo is also introducing a online membership service.

"Nintendo and DeNA also plan to develop an online membership service that is accessible from smart devices, PC and Nintendo systems, such as the Nintendo 3DS portable system and the Wii U home console. The membership service, which is targeted to launch in the fall of 2015, will be built on DeNA's extensive experience and capabilities in online membership services"

Source:

http://globenewswire.com/news-release/2015/03/17/715764/10125108/en/Nintendo-and-DeNA-Form-Business-and-Capital-Alliance.html#sthash.v3y1GTZK.dpuf

So they are coming into the game (pun intended) about a decade too late then? They really haven't learned much at all, it seems. Also; I will laugh pretty hard if this has a monthly or annual fee.

I don't think there will be anything to laugh about. Even it's a monthly fee it will be done in a totally unique and innovative way that only Ninty can think of and would thus be totally ok.

naruball said:

I don't think there will be anything to laugh about. Even it's a monthly fee it will be done in a totally unique and innovative way that only Ninty can think of and would thus be totally ok.

Yeah, they will show other companies how it should be done!

poppler said:
This will make them money in the short term, but I feel it will hurt them long term with their handhelds sells. Since they will be basically helping the mobile market.

The mobile market doesn't need help 

Interesting to read the Wikipedia history. Developed a lot of Western ip, like Disney, Transformers and Starwars.

But it is Japanese, and it has 30 MILLION users, 1/4 of Japan's Population.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

So Nintendo EAD's going to develop mobile games?

Lawlight said:
So Nintendo EAD's going to develop mobile games?

For now, they are just licensing their IPs to DeNA. It's too early to tell what will happen.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Justice was served today. Finally all those poor people around the world that own a smartphone will be able to play Nintendo games.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Is it wrong to think that Nintendo should make a phone? A mobile phone with dedicated controls would be something special if it comes from Nintendo. It would fit in with their new plan, and it would get people on the Nintendo bandwagon because they would only need one device.

Anfebious said:
Justice was served today. Finally all those poor people around the world that own a smartphone will be able to play Nintendo games.

The people who own a smartphone that costs more than Nintendo's handheld and console combined?