By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Question about data transfer between 3ds and new 3ds

cyberninja45 said:
Platina said:

By using the PC transfer method, you won't be downloading all 17GB on the new 4GB SD card....

Look at this guide (Because it covers your exact scenario)

OK  thanks. I will see how it goes

The first part of the transfer that you have to do, transfers the liscense from on 3DS to the other. So even if the games do not fit on the SD card you can always download them later since the liscense will be on that 3DS now.

Around the Network
Platina said:
cyberninja45 said:

It won't fit because its 17gb of data from the old 3ds to transfer across to fit onto the 4gb sd card on the new 3ds.

By using the PC transfer method, you won't be downloading all 17GB on the new 4GB SD card....

OK everything worked I have all my games so I'm now new and in xl

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

MDMAlliance said:
cyberninja45 said:
MDMAlliance said:
Are you asking if you can put your downloads onto your PC, keep them there so you can fit as much data as you can onto a lower capacity microSD card? I don't know if it works or not, just wondering if that's what you're asking.

I want to transfer all my data across to new 3ds but I have 17 gb of data and I think the new 3ds only comes with a 4gb card. I am wondering if I can just transfer like profiles and save data across first, (I have a back up of the 17gb of data), then takeout the 4gb card and swap it with 32gb and take back the data from my pc with all the games so I dont have redownload the titles.

I hope it clears it up.

Not entirely sure, but I do think it's possible to transfer the system itself without transferring the data (which probably includes save data).  

The guide platina showed me worked so I don't have to redownload my eshop games, everything worked smoothly.

Haven't read any other posts but I got a New 3DS on Saturday. The pack in card didn't have enough space so I completed the transfer. Then, I copied the old data to my PC and then to a new Micro SD card. I must have made a mistake somewhere because ALL of my saved data is gone and none of the games I downloaded were there. I had to re-download them all.

NOW, I've read the other posts.

What had happened was--I copied the 16gb SD card to the PC and then copied the PC data to a brand new 16GB micro. As soon as I put the card into the new 3DS, it said "Creating new save data" or something and none of the olddata was there, anymore.

I'm not sure if it formatted the new card, if it deleted the old data, or if I have the old data there taking up space and have duplicate data, too. All I know is that I had to redownload everything, none of my saves were there, and it fucking sucks fucking balls.

New console is great, though. Highly recommended upgrade from my original small 3DS.

Around the Network
Platina said:

Thanks for the guide... I will use it when I replace my 3DS XL this or next year.

I hope the transfer works smoother than the Wii->WiiU transfer I made last year:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6034244

d21lewis said:
NOW, I've read the other posts.

What had happened was--I copied the 16gb SD card to the PC and then copied the PC data to a brand new 16GB micro. As soon as I put the card into the new 3DS, it said "Creating new save data" or something and none of the olddata was there, anymore.

I'm not sure if it formatted the new card, if it deleted the old data, or if I have the old data there taking up space and have duplicate data, too. All I know is that I had to redownload everything, none of my saves were there, and it fucking sucks fucking balls.

New console is great, though. Highly recommended upgrade from my original small 3DS.

Yeah this is what I was worried about.

The guide platina posted had exactly what to do and it worked for me, I didn't have to redownload anything I was able to keep using the same microsd card from my old 3ds and all the games were there.

Glad to be of help :)

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Okay. Just bought ANOTHER NN3DS (for my daughter). The new and the old are bothe charging and then I'm going to do the transfer. This time, it's got a Micro w/ adapter. I'm gonna follow the steps posted in this thread.

Thank you guys in advance for the info!!

Hey, Cyber. Did the transfer with another 3ds yesterday. It had a micro SD in it with an adapter. The process was simple. I know you've already completed it but I was able to take the old card from my 3ds and plop it right into the new and keep all of my saves and not have to redownload anything.