By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Question about data transfer between 3ds and new 3ds

I know a thread was made about transfers already but I don't think it was the same situation.

I have an original 3ds with a 32gb sd card (microsd with adapter) I want to transfer all my data, including eshop titles which I have alot of, over to my new 3ds. I'm guessing the fastest way to do this through the pc which I can do.

Here is the thing I know all the data won't fit onto the microsd on the new 3ds, but I don't want to have to buy two 32gbsd cards when doing the system transfer, but all I am seeing on nintendo help page is do the low "something"sd card transfer then re-download your eshop titles. I really do not want to redownload all my titles cause that would be too time consuming (I have alot of full retail games downloaded). Is there anyway I can do the swap and get the games without re-downloading them?

Thanks for the help.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

Around the Network

Are you asking if you can put your downloads onto your PC, keep them there so you can fit as much data as you can onto a lower capacity microSD card? I don't know if it works or not, just wondering if that's what you're asking.

Yeah, your question is slightly confusing

You have a micro SD card currently in your old 3DS that you want to transfer to the new 3DS so why wouldn't all your info fit if it is already there?

You can transfer to the PC, wipe your SD 32GB, transfer PC to SD then back to n3DS for fail safe transfer..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

While idk if you can do it like that but I will give u solutions to ur worst case scenario. 32gb microsd cards aren't very expensive so if you do decide to buy one, you can buy them for $15-$16 or ur regional equivalent

http://www.ncix.com/detail/kingston-32gb-microsdhc-class-10-c0-90256-1088.htm

And the other thing is that, you could always buy one, do the system transfer thing and then return it to the store! I know its a hassle but again, its at ur worse case scenario

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

MDMAlliance said:
Are you asking if you can put your downloads onto your PC, keep them there so you can fit as much data as you can onto a lower capacity microSD card? I don't know if it works or not, just wondering if that's what you're asking.

I want to transfer all my data across to new 3ds but I have 17 gb of data and I think the new 3ds only comes with a 4gb card. I am wondering if I can just transfer like profiles and save data across first, (I have a back up of the 17gb of data), then takeout the 4gb card and swap it with 32gb and take back the data from my pc with all the games so I dont have redownload the titles.

I hope it clears it up.

Around the Network
Platina said:

You have a micro SD card currently in your old 3DS that you want to transfer to the new 3DS so why wouldn't all your info fit if it is already there?

You can transfer to the PC, wipe your SD 32GB, transfer PC to SD then back to n3DS for fail safe transfer..

It won't fit because its 17gb of data from the old 3ds to transfer across to fit onto the 4gb sd card on the new 3ds.

cyberninja45 said:
MDMAlliance said:

I want to transfer all my data across to new 3ds but I have 17 gb of data and I think the new 3ds only comes with a 4gb card. I am wondering if I can just transfer like profiles and save data across first, (I have a back up of the 17gb of data), then takeout the 4gb card and swap it with 32gb and take back the data from my pc with all the games so I dont have redownload the titles.

I hope it clears it up.

Not entirely sure, but I do think it's possible to transfer the system itself without transferring the data (which probably includes save data).  

cyberninja45 said:
Platina said:

It won't fit because its 17gb of data from the old 3ds to transfer across to fit onto the 4gb sd card on the new 3ds.

By using the PC transfer method, you won't be downloading all 17GB on the new 4GB SD card....

Look at this guide (Because it covers your exact scenario)

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

MDMAlliance said:
cyberninja45 said:
MDMAlliance said:

I hope it clears it up.

Not entirely sure, but I do think it's possible to transfer the system itself without transferring the data (which probably includes save data).  

And how do I get back the eshop games after?

Platina said:
cyberninja45 said:

By using the PC transfer method, you won't be downloading all 17GB on the new 4GB SD card....

Look at this guide (Because it covers your exact scenario)

OK  thanks. I will see how it goes