By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - February 2015 NPD Thread! 3DS: 395k, PS4: 342k, XBO: 276k, WiiU: 96k

Quite a few Gaffers who provided a lot of the NPD stuff have retired this month. So it is likely we might only get rankings and software sales from now on.

Around the Network

Tagged.

Turkish said:

I just don't understand that Aquamarine self ban.
So she says she was exposed by the NPD Group:
"they found out who I was and confronted me"

Who allegedly forced her to close her GAF account:
"now I'm forced to delete my GAF account"

Then she says she'll continue to post leaks:
"I will continue to post leaks at the super-secret base (for those in the know).

You can disseminate them to other GAF members privately. It just can't be out in the open"

So NPD knows her, why would she claim to keep leaking their stuff? NPD isn't gonna allow her to leak any number to anyone.

Found it very odd too. "They know my account and my identity so I'll ban my account, but I'm still gonna leak" Why wouldn't they fire her over this? She confessed that she will still be leaking. She's an odd character. Anyway I hope we will still get leaks one way or the other.

Talal said:
Turkish said:

I just don't understand that Aquamarine self ban.
So she says she was exposed by the NPD Group:
"they found out who I was and confronted me"

Who allegedly forced her to close her GAF account:
"now I'm forced to delete my GAF account"

Then she says she'll continue to post leaks:
"I will continue to post leaks at the super-secret base (for those in the know).

You can disseminate them to other GAF members privately. It just can't be out in the open"

So NPD knows her, why would she claim to keep leaking their stuff? NPD isn't gonna allow her to leak any number to anyone.

Found it very odd too. "They know my account and my identity so I'll ban my account, but I'm still gonna leak" Why wouldn't they fire her over this? She confessed that she will still be leaking. She's an odd character. Anyway I hope we will still get leaks one way or the other.

somebody on gaf posted about it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=155266252&postcount=499

"NPD has to draw strangely arbitrary lines to keep their business model going, so it's not that far a stretch. What's the point in paying them for numbers if you can't use them in limited ways? Being able to share them and inferences drawn from them with a limited audience is part of what makes subscribing to the information worthwhile in the first place. So you can't ban that outright without losing all of your customers. They're stuck trying to limit disclosure to the public instead, which is where the forum becomes a clear violation they can clamp down on.

Presuming they don't know what other channels Aquamarine has in mind makes it impossible to claim any specific infringement. It's not like they can claim they need to see all private correspondence without pissing off their subscribers. So while it seems like Aqua is courting more trouble it's also obvious he likes to irritate the NPD at every opportunity so this is consistent, too."

it seems like she likes to deliberately piss off the npd group, but they can't do anything about it if it's private.

"continue leaking on the secret base" could mean like giving numbers to internal chase employees who happen to be on gaf. it could mean anything and npd can't demand to know all private uses of their data. seems like they can only do things when it's public, like when it's posted on gaf or here.

Tagging. I'm hoping we'll at least get some hardware numbers this week, it always seems at least someone comes through with those.

Bets:

1. If the Wii U sells closer to 10 million LTD by 1/3/2015 I win. If it sells closer to 9.5 million LTD by 1/3/2015 OfficerRaichu15 wins (winner gets 2 weeks of avatar control)--Lost.

Around the Network

Tagged.

Yeah don't expect numbers which will be disappointing. but tagging anyway :)

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Jaxyfoo said:
Quite a few Gaffers who provided a lot of the NPD stuff have retired this month. So it is likely we might only get rankings and software sales from now on.

we lost at least 2 regular gaf npd leakers back then, probably more. i really hope this doesn't mean the end of npd leaks.

if creamsugar bails too then it's really the end.

Tagging, super curious about the XBO in the US

Buying order: Switch, better pc

razeredge said:
Talal said:

somebody on gaf posted about it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=155266252&postcount=499

"NPD has to draw strangely arbitrary lines to keep their business model going, so it's not that far a stretch. What's the point in paying them for numbers if you can't use them in limited ways? Being able to share them and inferences drawn from them with a limited audience is part of what makes subscribing to the information worthwhile in the first place. So you can't ban that outright without losing all of your customers. They're stuck trying to limit disclosure to the public instead, which is where the forum becomes a clear violation they can clamp down on.

Presuming they don't know what other channels Aquamarine has in mind makes it impossible to claim any specific infringement. It's not like they can claim they need to see all private correspondence without pissing off their subscribers. So while it seems like Aqua is courting more trouble it's also obvious he likes to irritate the NPD at every opportunity so this is consistent, too."

it seems like she likes to deliberately piss off the npd group, but they can't do anything about it if it's private.

"continue leaking on the secret base" could mean like giving numbers to internal chase employees who happen to be on gaf. it could mean anything and npd can't demand to know all private uses of their data. seems like they can only do things when it's public, like when it's posted on gaf or here.

That all makes sense and I was thinking along similar lines, though without any thoughts on Aqua's personal motivations.

The question is, who from VGC is going to infiltrate the super secret base? Or get itno the inner circle of someone who has access to the super secret base. Numbers, like money can be laundered to become untraceable once they hit the public forums. If the numbers pass through enough hands, especially if one of those passes doesn't involve the internet, the numbers can get into the public domain without any of NPD's jack boot brigade being able to figure out who the leaker is and descend on the leaker like a tonne of bricks.

Anyway, money where mouth is. 3DS for the win, obviously, PS4 second Xb one 3rd. fairly small gap between PS4 and Xb one. Based on Amazon.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix