By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Burning Typhoon said:

If I have to struggle to notice a difference between two different generations of the same game, there is a problem. If the only way to tell which looks better is by putting them side-by-side, it's not good.  During regular play, I'm not going to have the option of putting them both together, and why would I want to?

Eg. Flower.

The first you notice is how clear and the draw distance is better... it is really way sharper than the blurry PS3 version... this is just first impression.

Around the Network
Burning Typhoon said:
platformmaster918 said:

I really don't get UI haters.  It makes little sense to me how you can be confused by such a simple left/right design.  It's basically a cross media bar with better organization.  Unless you're constantly jumping on apps that you have used 15 apps in between it shouldn't be a problem (since that's how many fit on the bar).

I said the UI was a cluttered mess.  Not that anything about it was difficult.  The organization with it is non-existant.  There's is no way to sort anything the way I want, and it just throws the last 10 items in my face as if any of them are things I'm going to want to use.  I have 130 games on my PS3's hard drive, no less than 200 music tracks, etc.  You think I'm going to want to see the last 10 items of what I last used when it gets to that point on PS4?

Then, everything on the screen is a link to the PS Store, if I don't have it downloaded.  Better yet, don't show me that stuff, because I haven't downloaded HULU because I don't want it!

I want my games organized into catigories, and sub-catigories, which the PS3 allowed me to do.  The screen also wasn't filled with clutter like some old windows desktop with a million icons on the main screen.  I want my stuff cleaned up, and organized how I like so it's out of the way until I'm ready for it.  I don't like all that social crap on my screen...

I don't care how many times you played destiny yesterday.  I'm not getting the game and if I had it, I still wouldn't give two shits.  It's annoying, plain and simple.  Everything looks better when you're not connected online.  Even then, 1/4th of the screen is covered by a nag window telling you to connect, or sign in.-- Leave me alone?! I'll sign in if I feel like I know how to connect to the internet.

ummm ok I've used it just a few times (considering I've had it since launch) and I must say I've never accidentally signed in and never had an issue feeling pressured to do so.  The games and apps are all right there on the menu.  If you want to look further back there's the library.  You can go up and get your trophies, store, profile, or anything else you desire.  On PS3 the organization was with PS1, 2, or 3 games.  Only PS4 games can be played on PS4 so they don't have those folders.  Now it would be nice to have folders but I'm just saying it's no less organized than PS3.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Why you fell for the hype?!

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...

It's a shame that so far you don't really like it. Some of your complaints are hardware design and aren't going to change. While they might make a new design in the future, you'd obviously have to get the new model.

Your issues with the UI, while I liked the cross media bar on the ps3, I have no issues with the design on the ps4. It's definalty set up to be more social, while not so much for you. For others that a big plus, seeing what friends are playing and being able to get the games they have easily, as for organizing games. I spent way too long making folders for my games on my ps3 because of the limited ways to sort them, having over 300 games on the system doesn't make it easy either. I don't know for sure buy I think you can adjust how many recent things are shown. For those that aren't recent it you put a physical game in it always comes to the far left. While on the right you can sort the games in a few ways. While not folders or tags it's better than nothing.

As for differenced between games that are cross buy, remember those aren't remasters, so most won't have much visual improvement at all, some cross gen games look much better now, so the difference is there you just need to be looking at the right games.

So you spend all your money on a PS4 without having money left for games?! Clever

Around the Network
Burning Typhoon said:
Nuvendil said:
Well if you want a technical showcase, get Killzone Shadowfall, The Order, Infamous, or even try Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor. Those all do a better job of showing the generation gap.

I don't want a First Person Shooter.  They are far too simple-minded for me.  The order looks bad, and I've never been interested in any Infamous game.  No idea what Middle Earth is, so I wont play that either.  I may find myself waiting for Uncharted 4, to see how this generation is supposed to look.

Sorry but the only thing "simple" here seems to be your simple mind. Why did you even buy the thing already?!

TaMpAbLaCk said:

I'm 36 and have been gaming since the Atari 2600. I have seen every leap from console to console since the early 80's. The PS4 is a great piece of hardware. It runs a lot of games just as well as PC on medium to high settings. The PS4 cannot touch a good PC's ultra setting, but that is what PC has to offer.

For example, look at Final Fantasy 14 A Realm Reborn on PS3 (720/30fps), then look at it on PS4 (1080/60fps). It is a mega-leap foward like night vs day. The PS4 version looks identical to the PC on high settings. The 8GB of GDDR5 helps a lot! The highly modified CPU & GPU Rox, and it runs modified DIrectX 11.2 & OpenGL.We all saw what dev teams like Naughty Dog did with 512MB of XRAM on the PS3. 1st party games like Killzone SF, The Order 1886, Infamous SS look stunning! WOW! Also this is very early in the consoles life span. I mean look at Resistance on PS3 from 2006. It looks nothing like Resistance 3 from 2011. I cannot wait to see what they do with the PS4 as the console matures.

I currently have over 70 games on my PS4 and have not even bought 20 games. So many free games from PS+, F2D/F2P, or just download free games. A lot of people do not even realize it, but on PS4 there are a few secret free games every month. Just go to popular & digital and in the upper left set the setting to free search and bam you will find a few games every month that they do not advertise or tell ya about. It is easy to find the free PS+ games or the free to play section, but these you have to hunt down. Some are AAA, some Indie, some console exclsuive (PC/PS4).

I cannot wait to play Bloodborne in 2 weeks! So many great games coming soon! PS4 already has 450 games out or in development. That is unheard of for a console not even a year and a half old. Anyways I just wanted to share my thoughts since I feel like I have seen it all and have been around since the beginning of gaming. HAPPY GAMING EVERYONE & HAVE FUN! =)

Thank you, at least someone with a sensible mind. I really get the feeling some kids who experience the whole history of gaming are so easily spoiled and narrow minded. No real appreciation, especially complaining after only one year and already over 200 games out on the platform.

platformmaster918 said:
Burning Typhoon said:

I said the UI was a cluttered mess.  Not that anything about it was difficult.  The organization with it is non-existant.  There's is no way to sort anything the way I want, and it just throws the last 10 items in my face as if any of them are things I'm going to want to use.  I have 130 games on my PS3's hard drive, no less than 200 music tracks, etc.  You think I'm going to want to see the last 10 items of what I last used when it gets to that point on PS4?

Then, everything on the screen is a link to the PS Store, if I don't have it downloaded.  Better yet, don't show me that stuff, because I haven't downloaded HULU because I don't want it!

I want my games organized into catigories, and sub-catigories, which the PS3 allowed me to do.  The screen also wasn't filled with clutter like some old windows desktop with a million icons on the main screen.  I want my stuff cleaned up, and organized how I like so it's out of the way until I'm ready for it.  I don't like all that social crap on my screen...

I don't care how many times you played destiny yesterday.  I'm not getting the game and if I had it, I still wouldn't give two shits.  It's annoying, plain and simple.  Everything looks better when you're not connected online.  Even then, 1/4th of the screen is covered by a nag window telling you to connect, or sign in.-- Leave me alone?! I'll sign in if I feel like I know how to connect to the internet.

ummm ok I've used it just a few times (considering I've had it since launch) and I must say I've never accidentally signed in and never had an issue feeling pressured to do so.  The games and apps are all right there on the menu.  If you want to look further back there's the library.  You can go up and get your trophies, store, profile, or anything else you desire.  On PS3 the organization was with PS1, 2, or 3 games.  Only PS4 games can be played on PS4 so they don't have those folders.  Now it would be nice to have folders but I'm just saying it's no less organized than PS3.

Again, that's not what I've said.  How do you accidentally sign in anyway?  My passwords are literal random mashes on the keyboard that are about 20-30 characters in length, so, "UNID89ahJRni" for example.  But, I make an effort to have a good decent mix of numbers, letters, and symbols-- anyway...  Never did I feel pressured to do so.  I said it was a waste of screen area with a notification on the bottom of the screen.

The point about PS4 only playing PS4 games, and not needing organization makes no sense to me.  I needed 3 separate catigories for my PS3 games alone, because I have over 130 titles on my PS3.  I had my PS1, and PS2 games in their own folders, and 3 tier sets of PS3 games.

And, would you look at that...  My PS3 games below 700MBs all in one folder.

And all my digital games that have disc-based counterparts are-- *gasp* IN THEIR OWN FOLDER TOO?! unbelieveable!  I want my stuff organized.  It takes about 20 minutes.  One day last month, I wanted to changed how they were all organized.  That's how long it took.  But, when you're arranging them, game by game, it takes 10 seconds.  Big deal.  At least I have everything ordered.  And, within each one of those specific folders, are the games I most recently played.

And, look at the rest of the screen!  You see it?!  IT'S EMPTY! FANTASTIC!

kraenk12 said:
So you spend all your money on a PS4 without having money left for games?! Clever

My PS3 collection doesn't agree with you.  I've clearly stated I'm after Street Fighter V, Tekken 7, Mortal Kombat X, Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain, and Batman: Arkham Knight.

When it comes to emulating games PC's will alway will be king you can even play DS games in HD if you have a good enough rig.