By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Obama's Continued War on Human Rights

Lafiel said:
I think it's amazing how much trust americans have in each other :), personally I would be terrified knowing anybody could be a lunatic with a gun.

We have less trust in the worst of us (police and politicians.) Its better for everyone to have guns than just them. 

Around the Network
Lafiel said:
I think it's amazing how much trust americans have in each other :), personally I would be terrified knowing anybody could be a lunatic with a gun.

Just buy an even bigger gun and you can sleep soundly, because the answer to everything is more guns :D

(This statement was sponsored by the NRA)

sc94597 said:
mornelithe said:

Yeah, but my M1A will protect me far better than a puny AR-15, who cares?  It may as well be a .22.

It is about how you and the people you collaborate use that M1A vs. the AR-15, just as much as the technology difference. Communists took over China despite their lesser technology, not the nationalists. 

Well, without much knowledge of the roots of that conflict, and with a simple glance at Wikipedia on the issue (which means I could be completely wrong, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), the failure of the KMT had more to do with corruption and loss of US support, than proper use of firearms, didn't it?

sc94597 said:
Lafiel said:

We have less trust in the worst of us (police and politicians.) Its better for everyone to have guns than just them. 

Nah, call me niggardly, but I wouldn't grant anybody the power to kill, especially at more than arms length.

binary solo said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Do you believe that the American military would turn on it's own citizens? better yet our military couldn't even defeat a small nubmer of terrorists in Afghanistan, I like our chances in a scenario involving a tyrannical governement happened

It is the democratic provisions of the constitution that protects against a tyrannical govt, not the gun rights rubbish. You will overthrow a tyrannical government at the ballot box faster than a guerilla war. And if you are absolutely confident that the military, and police, won't turn on the people, then why do the people need guns to protect themselves from something that will never come to pass? It's not like any hypothetical tyrant will be capable of withstanding a simple unarmed take over of the Whitehouse and congress if the branches of govt with all the guns refuse to take up arms against the people.

The main reason the US military couldn't defeat terrorists in Afghanistan is because of needing to appear to have concern for human rights, and public image among allies and the US public. A tyrannical govt has none of those concerns, if the military is fully on board with protecting those in power.

No, I'm not confident that our military wouldn't turn on it's citizens. I'd probably say 50% would stick with the military and the other 50% would desert and side with the citizens. Also who's to say that anybody elected woulnd't just go with the status quo of the governemnt in power? Even if the argument of protecting ourselves from the government is invalid to you, self defense from common criminals should be enough for people to keep and bear arms anyway. 

Around the Network
mornelithe said:
sc94597 said:

It is about how you and the people you collaborate use that M1A vs. the AR-15, just as much as the technology difference. Communists took over China despite their lesser technology, not the nationalists. 

Well, without much knowledge of the roots of that conflict, and with a simple glance at Wikipedia on the issue (which means I could be completely wrong, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), the failure of the KMT had more to do with corruption and loss of US support, than proper use of firearms, didn't it?

By how you use it, I meant with whom you interact and plan your strategies with as well. Not just the proper use of firearms, but also personnel. I explained why such a real-world scenario isn't as simple as citenzry vs. military. 

Lafiel said:
sc94597 said:
Lafiel said:

Nah, I don't want anybody to have the power to kill, especially at more than arms length.

Sure, we can all dream of such a utopia, but nature allows for human beings to kill eachother, and even without guns, at more than arms length. I'm sure whichever country you live in the government has guns, bombs, chemical weapons, etc stockpiled. It's better for people to have a more equal capability of killing than for one group to have more capability of killing than the rest. 

sc94597 said:

Sure, we can all dream of such a utopia, but nature allows for human beings to kill eachother, and even without guns, at more than arms length. I'm sure whichever country you live in the government has guns, weapons, bombs, chemical weapons, etc stockpiled. It's better for people to have a more equal capability of killing than for one group to have more capability of killing than the rest. 

communist :)

sc94597 said:
Lafiel said:

Your objective evidence for that statement?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Lafiel said:

Nah, call me niggardly, but I wouldn't grant anybody the power to kill, especially at more than arms length.

you forgot about stones ;)