By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rock Band 4 not coming to Wii U because "the audience is not there"

I mean, they definitely don't have the audience in me. I ain't even mad.

Around the Network
Skullwaker said:
Kerotan said:
I didn't need to.  Ratio wise rock band is much bigger on xbox and playstation compared to wii than just dance. With xbox and playstation selling way better than Wii u the potential sales are way down especially with so few casuals on wii u. 

Your statement that Rock Band was bigger on PS2, 360 and PS3 than Wii was false. It was biggest on the 360, but by a small margin. Rock Band isn't some huge seller, it sells pretty consistently among platforms and that's how it makes its profit. Blatantly ignoring a platform just because is idiotic, as if this game will be some monster to develop and port over. 

By the time Rock Band 4 launches, the Wii U will have a pretty substantial market for party games. Nintendo Land, Wii Party U, Mario Party 10 and the Just Dance games will have solidified that. They literally wouldn't lose anything. 

thanks. You just save my time 

Click HERE and be happy 

mysteryman said:

Interview with HardcorGamer

Daniel:  The Wii U is a really hard call for us, but from our initial research the audience is not there yet, and I would be really psyched for there to be this public outcry of “Where is the Wii U? I will absolutely throw money at you and I wanna buy it and preorder it!” and all that.  And then we start working on it.

Nick Chester:  We’re seeing all these people flock, especially towards PS4, and people are abandoning their Wiis, and using their Xbox 360s as…  We don’t have a version of it because neither of the consoles are backwards compatible.

It's one thing to keep hearing that the demographics of the Wii U aren't aligned with regular third party AAA releases, but another to hear that a party game just doesn't have an audience there yet.

THe first claim is the wrong one, unless non-"mature" games don't count as AAA.

Skullwaker said:
Kerotan said:
I didn't need to.  Ratio wise rock band is much bigger on xbox and playstation compared to wii than just dance. With xbox and playstation selling way better than Wii u the potential sales are way down especially with so few casuals on wii u. 

Your statement that Rock Band was bigger on PS2, 360 and PS3 than Wii was false. It was biggest on the 360, but by a small margin. Rock Band isn't some huge seller, it sells pretty consistently among platforms and that's how it makes its profit. Blatantly ignoring a platform just because is idiotic, as if this game will be some monster to develop and port over. 

By the time Rock Band 4 launches, the Wii U will have a pretty substantial market for party games. Nintendo Land, Wii Party U, Mario Party 10 and the Just Dance games will have solidified that. They literally wouldn't lose anything. 

I have a feeling that those sell better because they are Nintendo games.  I just can't see people on Wii U getting hyped for a casual third-party game (even if it's good). Rock Band kind of depends on the Wii demographic, and we have very few of those.

foolish decision. If anything they should be giving Wii U timed exclusivity. This is the kind of stuff that would be a big seller on Wii U because Wii U is a home multiplayer console.

Around the Network

I'm really not upset. Never enjoyed these types of games.

mysteryman said:

Interview with HardcorGamer

Daniel:  The Wii U is a really hard call for us, but from our initial research the audience is not there yet, and I would be really psyched for there to be this public outcry of “Where is the Wii U? I will absolutely throw money at you and I wanna buy it and preorder it!” and all that.  And then we start working on it.

Nick Chester:  We’re seeing all these people flock, especially towards PS4, and people are abandoning their Wiis, and using their Xbox 360s as…  We don’t have a version of it because neither of the consoles are backwards compatible.

It's one thing to keep hearing that the demographics of the Wii U aren't aligned with regular third party AAA releases, but another to hear that a party game just doesn't have an audience there yet.

According to VGC Rock Band 3 only sold 600K on Wii and sold best on 360. Indeed 360 has been the main platform for all Rock Band iterations except for Beatles and Lego. They are in the best place to analyse historical sales, and it appears that with the Wii U install base being as low as it is and Wii version of past games being modestly successful a Wii U version might struggle to make enough sales to justify itself.

Not being on the receiving end of the bad news I possibly have a different perspective, but I find it refreshing that the dev has been upfront about it and he didn't do PR double speak as an answer. They don't think it has an install base, but they are happy to be proved wrong and if so they will make a Wii U version. Can't ask for fairer than that.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Scizor_99 said:
I have a feeling that those sell better because they are Nintendo games.  I just can't see people on Wii U getting hyped for a casual third-party game (even if it's good). Rock Band kind of depends on the Wii demographic, and we have very few of those.

Just Dance is a Nintendo game? Anyways, they don't have to be hyped for it. Absolutely no one is hyped for Just Dance, yet it sells well on Nintendo platforms each time. If that audience carries over, then Rock Band has nothing to worry about. I can also see the Skylanders and Disnity Infinity crowd trying it out, and those sales are plentiful on the Wii U.

If Rock Band entirely depends on the Wii demographic, then I'm not sure it's ever going to find it. On any platform. That type of demographic has largely disappeared, leaving behind casual shooters in its place.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

If any game should be full mulit-platform it should be rockband but I do sorta/kinda/though not really get what they are saying. The Wii was top dog against the HD-twins yet rockband still actually sold more on the HD-twins together. Now that Wii U is definitely third place Wii U it's entirely plausible that the game wouldn't even be profitable. Keeping in mind that there are likely separate royalty agreements that need to be made for each platform _per song_.

Still I think it would be worth the potential risk, even though I would definitely not buy it on the Wii U.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Wii U can't even get the casual franchises its predeccessor got. It really is abandoned on both sides