By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is soccer so unpopular in the US?

Cuz Americans think its boring as hell. Says about everyone I asked.

Around the Network

@ shio

How many Rugby players are 6'6" weighing over 300 lbs and can run a 4.6 second 40 meter dash?

I've seen rugby in the OZ and loved it though!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I used to play soccer as a kid and enjoyed it then, but watching the sport is incredibly boring to me, despite understanding the rules and even some of the subtleties of the game. I also find basketball unenjoyable to watch.

'American' football is my favorite sport. The combination of this incredibly brutal and physical game on the field (I don't think people outside the US understand just how big, tough, and fast these guys really are), and the chess game between coaches on offense and defense is so enthralling.

As so many others have pointed out, we might not like soccer that much, but the rest of the world is very quick to put down 'American' football.

I'll probably continue to follow this thread, but my enthusiasm has been sapped by an Internet connection that frankly is mocking me with its mostly-dead-oops-now-I'm-working-dead-again shenanigans.

Excellent linked article Kasz216.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Football is popular - kickball, heck kids play it all the time. Soccer is kickball, right?

Around the Network

Soccer is pretty popular here probably the same as football and basketball are.. maybe it has something to do with half of the population being Hispanic lol

Oh yea Soccer > Hockey 

"Weird, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder, so weird is acceptable to me."

Brawl Code:  1934-0329-3819 Pm me if you added me

a 0-0 tie with the best moves/action/saves/tackles/passes EVER is still really stupid. to be a great sporting moment/event you got to have a winner and a loser. PERIOD

i brought baseball scoring into because someone (rocket i think) wondered/mocked how baseball could be popular when it doesnt have scoring or action either.

soccer IS popular in America as a active participant sport, for youngsters (13 & under) its probably the most popular sport for girls and top 2 or 3 for boys. Soccer just isnt popular as a spectator sport. and since it isnt popular as a spectator sport, there isnt BIG money in it. And without BIG money we dont have soccer at an elite level. (i know we have pro soccer, but I mean like getting the best players money can buy - like the NBA/MLB)

CaptainPrefrences said:
shio said:
flagship said:
Because just like golf it's extremely boring to watch. Americans like watching games with fast paced action like football and basketball.

lol. you are so right.

baseball is 20 minutes of action packed into 5 hours of play.

basketball is a good sport but when a player gets touched on his wrist they stop the game for 2 minutes to shoot free throws.

football is very boaring. 20 seconds of play then a 40 second break. and during the 20 seconds of play they barley move up field.

hockey. i hate hockey. (pretty weird for a canadian) but hockey is really a sissy sport cuz they wear mad padding and theres so many players on a small rink which makes it very hard to score.

soccer- soccer for me is amazing to watch. sometimes it gets boaring if your watching to shit teams i.e sheffield united and QPR, but the atmosphere of the crowd the close calls,the amazing saves, and the penalty shootouts make the game great. also when a player scores, its a big relief. wish i could go see a man utd game.

cricket is just an amazing game. i really dont know what to say about this game but its good speically watching it.

The padding is for the 90 mile/hour puck flying through the air 

Oh and the skates

Also, Soccer players are all actors and it pisses me off 

Soccer player takes a dive - Gets awarded a penalty shot
Hockey player takes a dive - Gets punched in the face as soon as he gets up

But I love TFC games, one of the reasons is cause we even "boo" our own players if they dive. You're Canadian you should know how we feel about those types of players. 

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Soccer is very popular here in America.
Kids love it at the Middle School i teach at.

Why is The 'real' football so unpopular in America?

Well, i think that's because it isn't part of their culture. Americans grow up watching and playing baseball, basketball and American football. Europeans grow up playing football. So, Europeans play it since their youth and Americans more or less don't. That could be the main reason because it takes REALLY long to get really good at in comparison with other sports. As such, Americans don't like to practice it when they are older because they suck ars in it the first few years they try it. And when you suck at stuff, it tends to get boring! 

THE NETHERLANDS