By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is soccer so unpopular in the US?

Comrade Tovya said:
Actually I think it is for two reason.

Relatively low scoring compared to other sports, and in the lack of true stats tracking. American sports fans are numbers people, and euro-football is not stats-centric.

If you counted one goal as 7 points, football would be higher scoring than American football.  Shocking, isn't it?

The stats one is true for some people, but those are the kind of people who really prefer baseball I would think.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

Around the Network
elprincipe said:
Comrade Tovya said:
Actually I think it is for two reason.

Relatively low scoring compared to other sports, and in the lack of true stats tracking. American sports fans are numbers people, and euro-football is not stats-centric.

If you counted one goal as 7 points, football would be higher scoring than American football.  Shocking, isn't it?

The stats one is true for some people, but those are the kind of people who really prefer baseball I would think.

You're preaching to choir bro.  My family is from Germany, so I'm no euro-football hater... I actually like it.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

cus they

Onyxmeth said:

I had a good feeling, but I couldn't find any articles to back my claim up and didn't want to talk out of my ass. People that don't follow the sport have no idea that pads became a necessity over time to keep the players alive. I guarantee if football players didn't wear pads like Rugby players do then there would be severe casualties every single game. Shoot, there would probably be over a dozen deaths a season.

That is probably true. The sport was almost (or briefly was I forget) outlawed on college campuses because of the number of deaths associated with the sport. That is when the pads became a part of the game. Football is way way harder on the body than Rugby is. Rugby players are just too proud to admit they couldn't handle a rougher game.

OT: It is because there is no way to work in a commercial break. If you can't sell the sport to advertisers, then you can't sell the sport to the American audience (as it will never be on).

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Okay an unbiased answer:

1. Theres no Hitting

2. Less scoring than most traditional American sports (American football, hockey, baseball, etc)

3. Game is too long

4. They suck at it! Have americans ever won a world cup or whatever its called