By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is soccer so unpopular in the US?

shio said:
flagship said:
Because just like golf it's extremely boring to watch. Americans like watching games with fast paced action like football and basketball.

joke post?

In my opinion, americans enjoy sissy sports that are afraid of contact:

Basketball - I liked playing basket at physical education back in highschool, but it's a bit boring to watch. It's not a very dynamic sport, it's tactically limited and not very fast with serious symptoms of stopclock-o-litis. No contact whatsoever.

American football -  The players are afraid of getting sued so they wear big equipment that will save their pocket money, and are so out-of-shape that need to stop the clock everytime something happens(joke). Serious now, Rugby is simply faster and has alot of real contact, how can american football beat that?

Baseball - No contact whatsoever and definitely slow paced. But to be honest it's the main american sport that I respect the most.

Ice Hockey - I like this one, but it's not as fast as rink hockey and there's no real contact.

There's alot of contact in basketball.....I agree with you on baseball though, I hate baseball...

Around the Network

Found this interesting

First win ever

In the 1930 FIFA World Cup, the U.S. won the first match in World Cup history, defeating Belgium 3-0 at Estadio Gran Parque Central in Montevideo, Uruguay. The match occurred simultaneously with another "first game" across town in Estadio Pocitos where France defeated Mexico. FIFA has commemorated the American victory as the first World Cup match on two occasions, in 1987 and 2005.[3]

First World Cup hat-trick

In the next fixture, USA again won 3-0, this time against Paraguay. Some controversy had ensued for seven decades over the scoring, as American Bert Patenaude may or may not have scored the first hat-trick in World Cup history. FIFA had generally maintained that Patenaude scored only two goals, the second of the three goals being credited to teammate Tom Florie,[4] but his teammates and the U.S. Soccer Federation among other sources credited Patenaude with notching three.[5][6] Other sources claimed that it was an own goal by Paraguayan Ramon Gonzales.[7][8]
However, FIFA announced on 10 November 2006 that it had accepted evidence from "various historians and football fans" and received confirmation from the United States Soccer Federation that Patenaude scored all three goals, and was indeed the first person to score a hat-trick in World Cup play, clearing up a 76-year-old error.[9][10]

Semi-finalists

In that first World Cup, the American side lost a one-sided match to Argentina, 6-1, after advancing to the semi-finals. This is still the all-time highest World Cup finish by the men's team. The 1930 tournament was unique in that no third place match was played and no third place trophy was awarded to either the United States or fellow semi-finalists Yugoslavia. However, FIFA documents have listed the U.S. finish as 3rd place, a designation that was apparently retroactive. It remains unclear whether FIFA simply chose to list the U.S. above Yugoslavia for alphabetical reasons or because the U.S. had a superior goal difference to Yugoslavia over the course of the tournament. Some British football historians have claimed that the U.S. team at that competition was loaded with non-native players from British professional leagues, but the facts do not support that assertion. There were six British-born players on the 1930 team, all of whom played in the team's three World Cup matches. At the time of the 1930 World Cup, the combined experience of those six players in British professional leagues was two games, both by a single player in the English Third Division (equivalent to today's Football League One). Four of the six had come to the United States as teenagers or younger. Three of the six never played professionally in Britain; their pro careers were entirely in North America. In the 1920s, there was a thriving professional league in the United States, and the league survived into the mid-1930s. Two of the six did have significant professional careers in Britain, but not until after 1930. All 16 members of the 1930 World Cup team were living in the United States by 1928.[11]

I hate it when MLS games are played on american football fields with all the lines and other stuff painted on the grass...

Onyxmeth said:
I believe Soccer doesn't work for most reasons brought up and one I haven't found yet. It's too large a sport to care about. The end result of Football that anyone cares about is the Super Bowl. 32 teams go for it for a few months and there you go. It's small enough to know most teams in and out. Same thing with Basketball and Baseball. Now Soccer is too worldwide. The biggest Soccer event is the World Cup, and for you to have true knowledge, you would have to pay attention to how many teams? I don't even know but something's telling me it's way over one hundred that go for a position in the World Cup.

Actually, the world cup also has 32 teams: http://www.mapsofworld.com/2006-fifa-world-cup/qualified-teams.html

The European cup, now being played has 16. And it isn't that hard to make a good team distinction and an estimated guess on who's going how far. Surprises aside, clear runners for a WC in football are, for instance, Brazilia and Argentina for SA, and in Europe Germany, England, Italy and off coure, the Netherlands :d.

Of course, nationalism also takes a huge role here.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

my 3 favourite sports are Association Football (Gridiron football is crap), Rugby Union (Rugby League is boring) and Cricket (i like all types or Cricket)

Around the Network

Because they don't have an entertaining all conquering team of champions called Manchester United.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

it's simple

You cant have 40 commericals breaks for a soccer match
that means it's not welcomed on American TV

Rock_on_2008 said:
I think soccer is too tactical, requires skills and hardwork to be good at it.
The Americans do not have what it takes to be good at soccer so they prefer playing their baseball, basketball and American football instead.

lol, Rock_On youre a legend!

amp316 said:
Italians and Brazilians are bred with soccer skills ( just kidding).

you mean the Italians are bred with the ability to diver, bribe, fake injuries, play dirty, and fix games? Sorry I just get pissed when people sayItaly is a skilled as Brazil. They play very boaring defenseive football, and score the most flimy, and weak goals ever. No watch Brazil play, and tehy play as a team mixed in with some brilliant Individual talent.