By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is soccer so unpopular in the US?

^OMG dude you should stop talking now.......

moar funny pictures

Around the Network

You said Americans have no skill and don't work hard but besides for that no big deal.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Its cultural differences the Americans like the sports they invented Baseball, Basketball and American football.
The rest of the world like to play mainly soccer.

Some europeans/south countries play rugby, not american football :

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=nGseEaK9w0g

france/angleterre/argentina/nzeland/southafrika/australia/irish etc

Time to Work !

Rock_on_2008 said:
Its cultural differences the Americans like the sports they invented Baseball, Basketball and American football.
The rest of the world like to play mainly soccer.
 that makes more sense then saying we dont have the skill---no race is breed with mad soccer skills, its something you learn...... 

Around the Network

Italians and Brazilians are bred with soccer skills ( just kidding).

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

American Football is an incredibly violent sport. Never spout off that it isn't. The sport mangles its players. Many players end up being crippled for life, and yes the game still produces many fatalities every year. Most games have at a minimum two casualties. Two players who have torn, jammed, or broke something. This is with the safety gear they are required to wear. Which was instituted to save lives. The safety gear was mandated, because too many players were dieing on the gridiron. The sport is nothing but controlled phalanx warfare. I think it shows a real lack of maturity to insult the violence of the sport you only belittle the victims that the sport churns out.

Americans love football, because it is a strategic sport, and nothing else is even in its league. We are active participants in the strategy. We debate what our favored team should do. What the weakness in the other team is. The game has supreme drama, and it instills wholesome values. The game is the very definition of team work one guy screwing up on one play can cost a team the game.

Soccer isn't a popular sport as much for cultural, social, or nationalistic reasons. The real reason for Soccers popularity is one thing and one thing only. The game is economically feasible anywhere on the planet. All you need is half a dozen guys a ball and four sticks. No sport is so cheap to play, and the game can be played anywhere. Even the cheapest American sport Basketball can't hold a candle to soccer. Basketball requires a hard surface and baskets on top of polls.

Soccer is the national or only sport in many countries for this exact reason. They can't afford more flamboyant sports. They also lack the resources to generate unique sports. Deride North America if you like but the continent has put out four unique sports in short order all of which are unique and drastically different from one another. Since we created them logic says we probably like that kind of play.

Like I expected, everyone in this thread keeps neglecting the importance of women's football in USA.

The US women's national soccer team is facing Denmark in tomorrow's Algarve Cup final (an invitation tournament held every year in the Algarve region of Portugal with the world's top national teams):
http://www.ussoccer.com/common/stContent.jsp_26-2007AlgarveCup.html

Like I stated in my previous post, the US women's national team is ranked #2 worldwide at the moment:
http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=f/fullranking.html
--------

And to those who just want to discuss the importance of men's football/soccer in USA (and especially to those who stated that US boys can't play soccer) - The men's US soccer national team is on #26 (out of 202 nations) in FIFA's national teams ranking at the moment:
http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html#confederation=0&rank=166

Not bad for a country where no one seems to like football/soccer according to some comments in this thread.

The mass media/sponsors don't jump aboard. The media cake was divided long ago among several extremely popular and traditional US sports and - fortunately imo - you can't impose a "new" sport on people. It was tried several times with new incarnations of the ever languishing MLS. You'd need a huge amount of money and quite some perseverance.

It didn't work in Europe with American Football, either. The NFL was burning a lot of money with the "NFL Europe" from 1991 to 2007 with little to no effect. The expensive experiment was stopped last year and replaced by regular season games held overseas (first overseas game was Doplhin vs. Giants in London Wembley Arena last October).

It is getting bigger here but it will never past football.

Need people to play online with me for Brawl.
4382-1731-1511.

Name is DROAK.  

It's funny you pidgeonhole black athletes in Basketball and Football........

Yet most Quarterbacks (the highest paid athlete in football) are white, and well under 6' 4" - even the black QBs are under 6"4

And not only this, most skill positions in American Football weigh in under 220lbs - most QBs, Safties, Cornerbacks, Wide Recievers and some linebackers are under 220lbs since they require speed or agility moreso than heft.

And for basketball, you couldn't be more wrong. Some positions require higher players (regardless if your European or American), but others, such as Anthony Webb and shorter players thrive in the NBA, due to the fact since they are smaller, they can weave through "traffic" and get great shots off.

Also, how much does a big-time Soccer coach matter in soccer? Last time I checked, football had many, many more coaches than any given soccer team - offense, defense, special teams, position, scouting, and head coaches are on every level of college and professional football. Why? A football (American) coach matters far more on a tactical and strategical level than a soccer coach ever could.

If you don't believe me, go look at an American football playbook - almost every team uses an entirely different playbook, and style to win their games. How does a team defend the spread offense? Wishbone? Balanced? Run-Option or Pass-option? If you ever, ever, ever understood American football, you'd understand how difficult the game is, and how much knowledge and strategy go in to each given game.

And finally, how much money does a soccer coach make? Answer: an average professional head coach in football makes more money than every MSL coach combined.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.