By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is soccer so unpopular in the US?

spam alert...COME ON POMPEY, FUTURE F.A CUP CHAMPIONS 2008!!! on topic i really can't see why the u.s.a hasn't further embraced footie although i think a lot of it is to do with being crap at it.

nintendo and sega fan since i was old enough to hold a game controller.

note: my games collection on my profile is only 20ish% complete, i've got a boatload of 360,saturn and dreamcast games to add and a few ps3 games, thanks :)

Around the Network

...And the average American is more culturally inclined to know more about American Football...

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I am American and am one of the few that like soccer (football). I can tell you why Americans don't like it . First off it is not promoted well or put on television here, except for the Spanish speaking channels. Our league, the MLS, is absolute garbage compared to the big leagues in Europe or South America. Also OUR SPORTS like our football, baseball, and basketball are pushed down our throats at an early age so there is no familiarity with soccer. Last not least we are very much a fast food culture and want the immediate gratification of scoring. Americans do not want to talk about the technical brilliance displayed in a 0-0 draw.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

I think soccer is too tactical, requires skills and hardwork to be good at it.
The Americans do not have what it takes to be good at soccer so they prefer playing their baseball, basketball and American football instead.

Yes, Americans have no tact, skill, and don't work hard either. Seriously that's rude man.

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
Rock_on_2008 said:
The Americans do not have what it takes to be good at soccer so they prefer playing their baseball, basketball and American football instead.
 its obvious you have never seen a play book for american football, next time try to do a little research into a sport before just claiming its trash and not worth it...and just so you know it goes both ways...when was the last time you heard of a good european (american style) football team? 

mesoteto said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
 its obvious you have never seen a play book for american football, next time try to do a little research into a sport before just claiming its trash and not worth it...and just so you know it goes both ways...when was the last time you heard of a good european (american style) football team? 

American football players are all over 6 foot 4 inches, muscular and weigh around 220 pounds. Europeans do not play American football.

^thats not true alot are 5"11--and under 220

and if its a size argument i suppose next your be saying sumo westling has no skill required to it

Try hitting a 95 MPH fastball with a bat Rock On. That requires no skill, right? Oh yeah, thats right, you could do it with your eyes closed and no practice. It's only hard for Americans.

Damn what have I started , lol. I have opened up a can of worms with my comment lol.
Well basketball is for tall athletic black guys over 6 foot 6 inches in height. 98% of the NBA are African American guys over 6 foot 4 inches tall.