By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is soccer so unpopular in the US?

rjs_252 said:
rocketpig said:

Show me a rugby player that is as large, as fast, and as tall as Shawne Merriman.

Again, I'll repeat: 6'4", 272 lbs, 4.61 40.

Show me a rugby player that can even touch that and I will completely retract anything I said.

They don't exist. I guarantee you that if the NFL put a cross section of linebackers, defensive backs, and safeties on a rugby field and spent a year teaching them how to play rugby, they would not only beat every team in the world, they would annihilate them in the fashion of the Dream Team.

I can think of one off the top of my head (granted kidney replacement has changed him now and his trying to make a comeback):

Jonah Lomu: 6'5", 260 lbs, 100m - 10.89s (dividing by 10 and multiplying by 4 for the 40m time gives us: 4.36s) Thats assuming that someone runs at a constant speed (not blatantly true) but a good indicator. Either way he was certainly in the ball park of Merriman, wouldn't you think?

Granted, plays like Lomu come along rarely in rugby, there are a helluva lot of players who are slightly smaller smaller (weight wise, around 16 stone and still in the range of "feck I wouldn't want him running into me at full pelt) but still run the 100m in under 11s - something I'd like to see proof Merriman could do (we don't use 40m as a speed measuring distance in rugby really, all results are usually of the 100m variety).

So you listed one guy who had a problem and will never be as fast again.

Well, that's the trick. I could list you 4-5 linebackers in the NFL just as big and fast as Merriman and 10-15 guys as safeties and DBs who are just a little smaller (maybe 6'2", 230) who run even faster than Merriman.

Anyone who looks at the NFL and actually sees them play in real life would realize just how badly a cross-section of NFL players would kick the living shit out of any rugby team and make them re-think how much they want to play the sport. These guys are bigger, stronger, and faster than anything ever seen on a rugby field.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
rjs_252 said:
rocketpig said:

Show me a rugby player that is as large, as fast, and as tall as Shawne Merriman.

Again, I'll repeat: 6'4", 272 lbs, 4.61 40.

Show me a rugby player that can even touch that and I will completely retract anything I said.

They don't exist. I guarantee you that if the NFL put a cross section of linebackers, defensive backs, and safeties on a rugby field and spent a year teaching them how to play rugby, they would not only beat every team in the world, they would annihilate them in the fashion of the Dream Team.

I can think of one off the top of my head (granted kidney replacement has changed him now and his trying to make a comeback):

Jonah Lomu: 6'5", 260 lbs, 100m - 10.89s (dividing by 10 and multiplying by 4 for the 40m time gives us: 4.36s) Thats assuming that someone runs at a constant speed (not blatantly true) but a good indicator. Either way he was certainly in the ball park of Merriman, wouldn't you think?

Granted, plays like Lomu come along rarely in rugby, there are a helluva lot of players who are slightly smaller smaller (weight wise, around 16 stone and still in the range of "feck I wouldn't want him running into me at full pelt) but still run the 100m in under 11s - something I'd like to see proof Merriman could do (we don't use 40m as a speed measuring distance in rugby really, all results are usually of the 100m variety).

Well, that's the trick. I could list you 4-5 linebackers in the NFL just as big and fast as Merriman and 10-15 guys as safeties and DBs who are just a little smaller (maybe 6'2", 230) who run even faster than Merriman.

Anyone who looks at the NFL and actually sees them play in real life would realize just how badly a cross-section of NFL players would kick the living shit out of any rugby team and make them re-think how much they want to play the sport. These guys are bigger, stronger, and faster than anything ever seen on a rugby field.

Typical american, thinking only size matters. You will see the technique of the rugby players will make them laugh atyour nfl players.  

Luppien said:
rocketpig said:

Typical american, thinking only size matters. You will see the technique of the rugby players will make them laugh atyour nfl players.  

Typical idiot.

I didn't list only size. Read my post. NFL players are faster, bigger, stronger. Refute that and I won't think you're a complete fucking moron. Do you think that technique can't be learned? NFL defensive backs have to read, learn, and react to a play in less than 3 seconds. The typical NFL offense has more than 100 plays in its book.

Shit, if an NFL player can read 10 different offenses over 16 games and do it effectively, he sure as shit can learn a "technique". 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I think when you get up to the sizes and speeds of both top rugy and nfl players it makes little to no difference. Rugy forwards are big and strong, nfl players are big and strong. Chill.

Rugby is an endurance sport, nfl is a burst play sport. Being good at nfl /= good at rugby and vice-versa. 

Yes

NFL players are stronger I think, and faster, but both of this is probably explosive. There is no way in hell they have more stamina/endurance then a Rugby player.

Four sets of 15 minute bursts is nothing at all, and that hour game sometimes lasts up to 3 hours because of it's stop-start nature. That cannot match the endurance of playing two sets of 40 mins, sometimes with 5 minutes extra time added onto each half. And in American football there are much more players per team, so less chance of having to do anything.. What is it 45 active players per team as opposed to 19 in Rugby?

Around the Network

The reason Soccer isn't popular in the US is because its not a very engaging sport. Its undeniable that a game that ends in a 0-0 tie is tedium defined.

Some may claim "Couldn't you say the same about Nascar?" and I would say, Nascar is not a sport.

I think the real question is why is Soccer SO popular elsewhere? I think the answer is tradition. Its so old that so many generations have been raised with it. If you took every one in the world, wiped their memory, and introduced them to all the sports again, I highly doubt soccer would be number 1.

Now I am not here to smack talk soccer. I do have a unique position though. I grew up with my father, who had absolutely no interest in sports what so ever, so I didn't even learn about most sports until I was 8 or 9 (though my Mom is a baseball fan, we didn't live with her,) and entirely through my own actions. With no bias at all I tried a bunch of sports (baseball, soccer, football, basketball,) and I have to say soccer is just not very fun, to play or watch.

All of this is opinion tough, so bash away.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X

Because American's don't want an excuse to riot? Seriously though, a large portion of enjoying watching any sport is playing and watching the sport when you're young.

HappySqurriel said:
Because American's don't want an excuse to riot? Seriously though, a large portion of enjoying watching any sport is playing and watching the sport when you're young.

That's generally true.  As one of the probably rare exceptions, I was a soccer goalie in high school and absolutely loved playing the sport.  But darned if I can sit and watch the thing for more than 10 minutes at a stretch... just bores me to tears.

Then again, I don't enjoy watching sports in general... why sit and watch someone else have fun when you can sit and play a video game and have the fun yourself.  

I used to think like you crumas, especially when I played cricket and football through highschool, I couldn' t stand watching them.

But for some reason now there is almost sport I get bored watching. I used to REALLY hate watching cricket matches, but it just changed for no reason what so ever =/

I can't watch basketball for very long stretches for some reason, even though I do enjoy what I watch.

StarcraftManiac said:

Why is The 'real' football so unpopular in America?

Well, i think that's because it isn't part of their culture. Americans grow up watching and playing baseball, basketball and American football. Europeans grow up playing football. So, Europeans play it since their youth and Americans more or less don't.  

Errr..... no. Soccer is played a LOT in elementary, middle, and high schools. I don't know any of my friends who *didn't* play soccer as a kid. The problem is no one looks at it as a spectator sport. There are very few kids who grow up of dreaming to be a professional soccer playing in the US - they all want to be football, baseball, or basketball heroes. Soccer could only move from recreational to spectator status with a bunch of celebrity players and established teams.