By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gameplay isnt the most important thing in games.

I could not agree more. Not every game has to have the same focus. Gameplay, graphics, sound, story, ect. are all just different means to the same end. As long as none of those aspects is so bad that they hinder the rest of the game then I don't see it as an issue. Journey is one of the best games I've ever played, and it has very, very minimal gameplay.

Oh, I would probably recommend taking The Order out of the OP. Not because it doesn't fit what you're trying to say...but because you're going to have the usual suspects who come in and derail the thread crapping on it.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network

You're not wrong, but you're not right either.

A great game is a great game because of the sum of it's parts. Everything has to come together in the right way. Some games may have way more focus on story than others, and while the gameplay itself may not be the single most important aspect of that game, how the game allows me to interact with and shape that story is no less important than the story that's being told. This applies to every aspect of a game. It's about the package, not any one thing.

I agree with you! Everything in a game should have the same end goal; to deliver a certain emotion/experience to the player. It's irrelevant HOW this is achieved, as long as it delivers on that core that lies at the centre of the game.

But let's be clear here; there's better and worse ways on delivering this core experience. Telling a story through extensive cut scenes are NOT the best way to go. You're way better off watching a movie in that case. Having solid game play is quite essential on delivering that core experience in an interactive media. In most games game play IS the most important mechanic that needs to work.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Angelus said:
You're not wrong, but you're not right either.

A great game is a great game because of the sum of it's parts. Everything has to come together in the right way. Some games may have way more focus on story than others, and while the gameplay itself may not be the single most important aspect of that game, how the game allows me to interact with and shape that story is no less important than the story that's being told. This applies to every aspect of a game. It's about the package, not any one thing.

That doesn't make any sense...he's saying that gameplay isn't always the most important part of a game, and that a game is great because of it's experience. You said he wasn't right, but then went on to say a game is the sum of it's parts...

He didn't say it was less important than other things, he said it wasn't more important.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Ka-pi96 said:
bananaking21 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

But you could argue that the gameplays simplicity and how it interweaves with the story is part of what makes the game great, meaning gameplay is still very important there.

but it isnt the most important thing in that game. every game is different, and saying gameplay is the most important thing for every game is nonsense. 

Maybe. Although I can't think of a single game where the gameplay wasn't my favourite aspect of it...

i would have to say thats your taste then, which you are enterily entitled too.

an example for me was LBP. i LOVED the music and dressing up sackboy the most. it was my two favorite parts, the music just fit the game and style and dressing up sackboy differently in each level was awesome. 

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
kitler53 said:
i find that i'm particularly swayed by sound. "great gameplay" feels like shit to me if the sound effects aren't satisfying.

so i agree with the point. no one would buy CoD if it featured candy guns and unicorns. gameplay, visuals, sound, story, control scheme all have to work together. ...any one being "off" can take down a game's enjoyment.

hell, half those screaming gameplay don't even mean it. mario would be a shitty game if you got rid of awesome sounds effects it had for jumping and coins and its good music. it's exactly why the NSMB aren't all that fun anymore despite having the "same gameplay".

I gotta disagree with that. The game would still be just as good. I usually turn down the music of any game and play my own music instead, despite not hearing sound effects like that games (including Mario) are still great fun.

you've already established your emotional connection to the game at that point.  if sounds would have been poorly choosen in the first place you'd claim it has terrible gameplay.  i can't find much on youtube to reinforce my point but this is kind of gets the point across...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85-hRscnSuE

I'd say you're right to an extent.

Gameplay is the most important think in game games. It is not as imporant in art games and interactive movies.

But to be honest, saying "how it makes you feel" is important is useless. That's true of ALL art, it's the very purpose of art. The definition of art is: The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colours, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the senses and emotions.

It's like if you said the most important thing about a car is how it takes you from point A to point B. I mean it's technically true, but it is a meaningless statement.

That's kind of like saying that the engine is not the most important aspect of a car, but how it drives. On one hand we have one of the many components required to achieve a purpose, on the other we have the purpose itself. It makes no sense to compare the two.

Of course, the answer is ultimately subjective, but given how the one aspect that makes video games unique from other forms of entertainment is the actual gameplay, I don't see why anyone but a casual gamer would put more weight on any other aspect. Good stories and music can be found elsewhere.

There is no singular "most important thing" that applies to every game. Games can encompass, or focus, on many different experiences. Attempting to narrowly define what a game should or should not bring to the table is a futile endeavor.

One of the most important experiences of my gaming life was ICO. The game-play is nothing special, yet the game itself absorbed me completely. Perhaps for the first time, the emotions of the protagonist were MY emotions, just as with a great novel or play. I would not trade that.

That's why variety in gaming is very important to me and why the whole "game-play is the most important" argument is meaningless.

Ka-pi96 said:
bananaking21 said:
i would have to say thats your taste then, which you are enterily entitled too.

an example for me was LBP. i LOVED the music and dressing up sackboy the most. it was my two favorite parts, the music just fit the game and style and dressing up sackboy differently in each level was awesome. 

Music fair enough, although I would argue that dressing up sackboy is part of the gameplay...

Customising a character isn't a gameplay feature but it could make the player feel more invested in a game. 

.- -... -.-. -..