By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is the GameCube selling better than the Wii U???

Why are GC sales>Wii U sales

Interest in Nintendo has waned 74 13.33%

Wii U still hasn't had s... 22 3.96%

Little kids bought GameCu... 34 6.13%

Wii U marketing much worse 135 24.32%

Increased competition 23 4.14%

Lower 3rd party support 82 14.77%

Nintendo gamers jumped ship after the Wii 30 5.41%

None of these make sense 38 6.85%

All of these are true (-#8) 81 14.59%

Other 36 6.49%

Total:555

WiiU is selling less then Gamecube annually, but I expect it to outsellf Gamecube overall because of the longer lifespan of consoles now. I mean no one thought PS3 would eventually sell 85% as well as Wii when at one point it was less then 50% on par.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

The abysmal marketing and lack of 3rd party support. GameCube also had better visuals than the PS2 which
was important..

DerpSandwich said:
Samus Aran said:
DerpSandwich said:

It did happen, and it should be considered, but so should everything.  Saying Nintendo is fine because the Wii did so well is in fact ignoring a lot of factors.  All of the solid evidence points to a downward trend, and literally every system except the Wii supports that theory.  The exception can be explained, thus still supporting the theory.

Sales don't say everything of course.

GC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS3 /XBOX profit wise

I've heard that it ultimately turned a profit, but I haven't seen any evidence that it did as well as you're claiming.  I'm pretty sure Nintendo themselves called it a disappointment.  Yeah, profit and sales are two different things, but diminishing sales is eventually going to lead to diminished profits.  That's just how it works.

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to argue here.  I'm just saying that the demand for Nintendo systems is decreasing with the change in consumer tastes.  But you keep trying to make these little points as if to prove me wrong or possibly to get the last word, but they don't really have a bearing on the argument.  So I'm going to stop here.

I'm saying that trying to sell as many consoles as you can by selling your hardware at big losses is a dumb strategy.

Sony sold 160 million PS2's. Nintendo sold 80 million GBA's and 20 million GC's. A difference of 60 million units yet Nintendo made more than double the amount of profit.

The goal is to make a profit and Nintendo does this a hell of a lot better than Sony or the console department of MS.

Name for sure, one was a cube that played games the other is ...

Samus Aran said:
DerpSandwich said:
Samus Aran said:
DerpSandwich said:

It did happen, and it should be considered, but so should everything.  Saying Nintendo is fine because the Wii did so well is in fact ignoring a lot of factors.  All of the solid evidence points to a downward trend, and literally every system except the Wii supports that theory.  The exception can be explained, thus still supporting the theory.

Sales don't say everything of course.

GC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS3 /XBOX profit wise

I've heard that it ultimately turned a profit, but I haven't seen any evidence that it did as well as you're claiming.  I'm pretty sure Nintendo themselves called it a disappointment.  Yeah, profit and sales are two different things, but diminishing sales is eventually going to lead to diminished profits.  That's just how it works.

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to argue here.  I'm just saying that the demand for Nintendo systems is decreasing with the change in consumer tastes.  But you keep trying to make these little points as if to prove me wrong or possibly to get the last word, but they don't really have a bearing on the argument.  So I'm going to stop here.

I'm saying that trying to sell as many consoles as you can by selling your hardware at big losses is a dumb strategy.

Sony sold 160 million PS2's. Nintendo sold 80 million GBA's and 20 million GC's. A difference of 60 million units yet Nintendo made more than double the amount of profit.

And yet this still has no bearing on my original point.  You've committed yourself to not accepting it for whatever reason, so yeah, I'm done.  (I know I said that last time, but I'm leaving this conversation 4 realz now.)

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
bowserthedog said:

The main difference is that the gamecube started stronger but started tapering off on the year of year almost immedietely. Wheras the Wiiu had a softer launch but is actually gaining momentum year over year. I feel that the Wiiu will end up being the cube in ww lifetime sales by at least 6 million if not 10.

The gap between the GameCube and the Wii U is widening every month (in a bad way) ... it's not shrinking. Wii U really was not up YoY in any huge way, it's just that it was so low to begin with that some improvement with more games was practically inevitable. 

I think you misintepreted what I said and what's happening. On the year over year the Gamecube decreases each year wheras the Wiiu is growing each year. It's only a matter of time before the Wiiu starts gaining ground on the cube. What it will really come down to is how long Nintendo fully supports the Wiiu. If this is the last year of big software support than the Wiiu will likely not surpass the Cube but if Nintendo gives it at least another year of big support it indeed will surpass the gamecube.

DerpSandwich said:

And yet this still has no bearing on my original point.  You've committed yourself to not accepting it for whatever reason, so yeah, I'm done.  (I know I said that last time, but I'm leaving this conversation 4 realz now.)

You're point is that Nintendo was not doing fine during the GC era. Did you even take a look at the profit chart?

Nintendo just needs a good handheld again for next gen and they'll be fine even if their console is a dud salewise.

The mistake they made was releasing their most expensive handheld ever at launch and having an abysmal software drought during the first year of the 3DS. I believe they have learned from those two mistakes, so their next handheld should perform better.

bigtakilla said:
Soundwave said:

A cartoony Zelda isn't going to sell consoles. Not sure even a TP style one would ... it's a really freaking old franchise, I think we need to understand a lot of the kids driving console adoption right now grew up with a PS2, not an NES or SNES. Times they are a changing. 

Xenoblade X looks great don't get me wrong, but I don't see it as anything other than this year's Bayonetta 2 -- a game that gets a ton of hype/praise on message boards but doesn't do jack all in sales. I expect to sell basically the same as Bayo 2 as well. 

The problem with that style of game is that Nintendo lost the fanbase that would be interested in such a game years ago now. That went after the N64 days really, the Nintendo fans that stuck around are hardcore Mario/Zelda fanatics, but they're not into the wider variety content like Xenoblade or Bayonetta. Devil's Third will be a full on flop too. 

Can't sell content like that on a Nintendo console. 

Zelda is still one of the biggest action Adventure games of all time, and I think it being open world brings a lot more appeal to the game than its cartoony style takes away from it. 

You know what's a big action adventure game?  The Elder Scrolls.  FAR bigger than Zelda, and will not be on the Wii U.  Zelda is for Zelda fans.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Michael-5 said:

WiiU is selling less then Gamecube annually, but I expect it to outsellf Gamecube overall because of the longer lifespan of consoles now. I mean no one thought PS3 would eventually sell 85% as well as Wii when at one point it was less then 50% on par.

The Wii U will be dead in 2 years.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Eddie_Raja said:
bigtakilla said:

Zelda is still one of the biggest action Adventure games of all time, and I think it being open world brings a lot more appeal to the game than its cartoony style takes away from it. 

You know what's a big action adventure game?  The Elder Scrolls.  FAR bigger than Zelda, and will not be on the Wii U.  Zelda is for Zelda fans.

That's a pretty ignorant stance, I could just as easily say Elder Scrolls is just for Elder Scrolls fans and I would be no less wrong than u

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.