By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is the GameCube selling better than the Wii U???

Why are GC sales>Wii U sales

Interest in Nintendo has waned 74 13.33%

Wii U still hasn't had s... 22 3.96%

Little kids bought GameCu... 34 6.13%

Wii U marketing much worse 135 24.32%

Increased competition 23 4.14%

Lower 3rd party support 82 14.77%

Nintendo gamers jumped ship after the Wii 30 5.41%

None of these make sense 38 6.85%

All of these are true (-#8) 81 14.59%

Other 36 6.49%

Total:555
DerpSandwich said:
The price is one part of it, but also the market just historically wants Nintendo systems less and less over the years. A lot of people are denying that fact, but it's a downward trend that doesn't seem to be stopping.

If you ignore the GB, GBA (sold much more than the GB in less time), DS and Wii sure...

Around the Network

The Gamecube had a handle ,and you could literally punch somebody in the face with your Gamecube.

Samus Aran said:
DerpSandwich said:
The price is one part of it, but also the market just historically wants Nintendo systems less and less over the years. A lot of people are denying that fact, but it's a downward trend that doesn't seem to be stopping.

If you ignore the GB, GBA (sold much more than the GB in less time), DS and Wii sure...

I should have said Nintendo home consoles; handhelds are obviously an exception.

The Wii is also an exception, because it captured a huge non-gamer part of the market.  That market has now moved on, putting the Wii U exactly where it should be in the declining trend.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

DerpSandwich said:
Samus Aran said:
DerpSandwich said:

I should have said Nintendo home consoles; handhelds are obviously an exception.

The Wii is also an exception, because it captured a huge non-gamer part of the market.  That market has now moved on, putting the Wii U exactly where it should be in the declining trend.

Doesn't change the fact that it happened and shouldn't be ignored.

zippy said:
The Gamecube had a handle ,and you could literally punch somebody in the face with your Gamecube.

Ah the good ol' days, I won many school yard brawls that way.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

- Wii U is too expensive compared to the competiton (that offer way more for the money).
- The gamepad was an idea that's beyond terrible.
- It's massively underpowered, while GC wasn't.
- Wii U has even less 3rd party support.
- GC had more Nintendo franchises.
- GC was on par with the features that both competitors had, not lacking behind by a gen.

Unlike most people here, I don't think money is an issue. You are comparing the price point of a console that released in 2001 with one that released in 2012. PS4 is more expensive than PS2 was, hell, even X1 after the price cuts is more expensive that the launch price for the OG XBox. Wii U is the cheapest console available, as GC was. But the Gamecube offered the same features of XB and PS2, with a similar power (XB > GC >> PS2) and more 3rd party titles. Wii U has way less features than PS4 and X1 and comes with a tiny bit of storage in the digital distribution era. Hell, Wii U doesn't have some features that are on PS360 and that's ridiculous.

Honestly, I don't know why everyone is surprised. Wii U lacks most of the features on the current gen, it's a project that's out of touch with the way people play nowadays: voice chat, party chat, sharing, easy online integration, digital distribution, 3rd party support + exclusives. PS and XB are platforms, they are almost like "SDKs" implemented in hardware, exactly what a console is supposed to be.

This is why I didn't buy a wii u , not yet anyway. I could not stand the wii mote. And I do not want touch controls. If I can buy a wii u with a normal gamepad with a big hard drive I would buy one. I will never buy another Nintendo home console until they get rid of the gimmicks and go back to what they do best and that I make games. I own every Nintendo console except the virtual boy and wii u. If they wanted the wii u gamepad/ motion controls on a console it should be an add on Microsoft finally got that, so should Nintendo

old skool

I'm very confused by anyone who says Wii U is too expensive. It's the most affordable home console and the games available give you the best bang for your buck... i.e. not all games are $60 releases, there are plenty (like Kirby/Capt Toad) that are quality games for $40.

While I do believe bad marketing of the console contributed to poor sales I think in general "increased competition" is what holds Wii U back in comparison to Gamecube. We all know that the original Wii captured the hearts and minds of both hardcore gamers and casual players. Casual players now fulfill their needs through mobile platforms.

run away! 

raidinglarastomb said:
This is why I didn't buy a wii u , not yet anyway. I could not stand the wii mote. And I do not want touch controls. If I can buy a wii u with a normal gamepad with a big hard drive I would buy one. I will never buy another Nintendo home console until they get rid of the gimmicks and go back to what they do best and that I make games. I own every Nintendo console except the virtual boy and wii u. If they wanted the wii u gamepad/ motion controls on a console it should be an add on Microsoft finally got that, so should Nintendo

I don't know what u mean by gimmicks, hasn't Nintendo's entire history as a console maker involved trying to evolve controllers?

Pre-NES, a standard controller was either an Atari style paddle or the monstrosity that ColecoVision/IntelleVision used. Nintendo's created the standard D-pad and A/B setup.

SNES added the standard diamond button layout and shoulder buttons.

N64 added a trigger, analog stick and rumble feature which are all standard now.

Gamecube added analog shoulder buttons and featured the first functional wireless controller.

Wii had the first commercially successful and fully functional motion controller.

Wii U adds a touch screen to its controller

So as u can see, each and every Nintendo console has featured controllers that attempt to add new features or new input methods with many of them going on to become standard among the entire gaming industry like D-Pad, diamond pattern, shoulder buttons, triggers, rumble, etc. I don't see any reason why they should stop trying to better the way we play games.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Pavolink said:
GC had better games at this point in its life:

Super Mario Sunshine > 3DWorld (at least on the hype machine) Sunshine had hype? Not from what I remember...

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/86663

http://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?51596-Why-do-so-many-people-hate-Mario-Sunshine

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361020

http://wii.mmgn.com/Forums/Social-NZ/Why-Do-People-Hate-Super-Mario

there was a lot of seething HATE for the game that I remember. It reviewed well, but doesn't every Mario? In fact 3D World ranks higher both critically and user score wise. 

Super Smash Bros Melee > SSB for Wii U

Debatable, but:

It's online now

There are WAY more characters now (Not including we already know there is going to be DLC characters added for better or worse)

It's in HD (DEM GRFX)

That said, there is no doubt that in the "hardcore" Smash community Melee is still the best. But the average consumer would beg to differ. The speed is amped up from Brawl, and the technical moves (like wave dashing) are kind of (there are similar moves, but not the same) back. As well as move canceling. Combos for characters are back. It has a stage builder, which I think Melee lacked.... It's been a while. I moved on long ago. 

Mario Kart Double Dash > MK8

Yet again, debatable. Online mode adds a lot, posting video to Miiverse is also cool. Some say the speed has been reduced (or at least it feels that way). 

TLOZ: The Wind Waker > a remake of the same game against an original one? Easy pick

What about Windwaker against LoZ Wii U? It is an easy pick. 

Metroid Prime > No metroid

Yet...

Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door > No paper mario

True

Resident Evil Remake > a port of Revelaitons 3DS

Both good, neither are a system seller. 

Resident Evil 4 > No more resident evil

Fatal Frame though, which isn't as popular in any way shape or form but the exclusivity has to be taken into account too. Granted it gets released, I think if it ever will we are going to hear about it this E3.

And this is what I care so far.

But you own a Wii U. Hardly a representation of why more people chose the GC than the Wii U.

And hopefully when they show Star Fox and Metroid they are going to go far above and beyond expectations. Every other first party title has.