By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is the GameCube selling better than the Wii U???

Why are GC sales>Wii U sales

Interest in Nintendo has waned 74 13.33%

Wii U still hasn't had s... 22 3.96%

Little kids bought GameCu... 34 6.13%

Wii U marketing much worse 135 24.32%

Increased competition 23 4.14%

Lower 3rd party support 82 14.77%

Nintendo gamers jumped ship after the Wii 30 5.41%

None of these make sense 38 6.85%

All of these are true (-#8) 81 14.59%

Other 36 6.49%

Total:555
zippy said:
The Gamecube had a handle ,and you could literally punch somebody in the face with your Gamecube.

Also, it looked like a lunch box so consumers don't have to worry about theives trying to steal it.

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
Slarvax said:
I'd imagine the GC didn't have the horrible droughts the Wii U had.

Actually, between March 2002 if I remember correctly and September or October 2002, the GameCube did suffer from horrible droughts. Between the release dates of Resident Evil remake and Resident Evil 0, the only major title that comes to mind that anybody cared about was Eternal Darkness and that game didn't even sell that well. In fact, the same happened roguhly every year during spring and summer. For some reason, most of the games that were worth getting on the GameCube came out early in the fall or late winter. GameCube owners were for the most part screwed from the beginning of spring till the end of summer. 

Also, GameCube had far superior third party support than the Wii U....at least until mid 2003 when third party support almost completely collapsed and became almost what third party support on Nintendo consoles is like now. There is however one huge misconception that a lot of younger people seem to have about Nintendo and third parties. It wasn't until the GameCube that NIntendo had the infamous repuation for not being able to sell third party games on their systems, not the N64. While much of their third party support did go away when the N64 arrived, it wasn't because it wouldn't sell. In fact, most major third party games on the N64 did sell well, especially the exclusives. The Turok series for exampl sold in the millions. The N64 port of resident 2 managed to sell 500k compies despite coming out almost 2 years after the PS1 version which had already sold millions by thst point. And unlike GameCube where third party support lasted for about a year and a half, what little third party support the N64 got lasted throughout most of the system's life.

As far as Wii U is concerned, Nintendo botched it's marketing and can only seem to fix it very slowly. This is a shame since Wii U without a doubt still has the best software lineup of any 8th gen console. And before anybody says "well the Wii U has been out longer", I'd like to remind them that Wii U's best games came out within the timespan that PS4 and Xbox One have been out.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Slarvax said:

Actually, between March 2002 if I remember correctly and September or October 2002, the GameCube did suffer from horrible droughts. Between the release dates of Resident Evil remake and Resident Evil 0, the only major title that comes to mind that anybody cared about was Eternal Darkness and that game didn't even sell that well. In fact, the same happened roguhly every year during spring and summer. For some reason, most of the games that were worth getting on the GameCube came out early in the fall or late winter. GameCube owners were for the most part screwed from the beginning of spring till the end of summer. 

Also, GameCube had far superior third party support than the Wii U....at least until mid 2003 when third party support almost completely collapsed and became almost what third party support on Nintendo consoles is like now. There is however one huge misconception that a lot of younger people seem to have about Nintendo and third parties. It wasn't until the GameCube that NIntendo had the infamous repuation for not being able to sell third party games on their systems, not the N64. While much of their third party support did go away when the N64 arrived, it wasn't because it wouldn't sell. In fact, most major third party games on the N64 did sell well, especially the exclusives. The Turok series for exampl sold in the millions. The N64 port of resident 2 managed to sell 500k compies despite coming out almost 2 years after the PS1 version which had already sold millions by thst point. And unlike GameCube where third party support lasted for about a year and a half, what little third party support the N64 got lasted throughout most of the system's life.

As far as Wii U is concerned, Nintendo botched it's marketing and can only seem to fix it very slowly. This is a shame since Wii U without a doubt still has the best software lineup of any 8th gen console. And before anybody says "well the Wii U has been out longer", I'd like to remind them that Wii U's best games came out within the timespan that PS4 and Xbox One have been out.

Jon-Erich said:
Slarvax said:

Just gonna correct one thing, here is the lineup of major Gamecube exclusives in 2002

February-Sonic Adventure 2 Battle

April-Resident Evil

June-Eternal Darkness

August-Super Mario Sunshine

September-Animal Crossing, Star Fox Adventures

October-Mario Party 4

November- Metroid Prime, Resident Evil Zero

So there was never really a prolonged drought for Gamecube in 2002.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Slarvax said:

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Jon-Erich said:

Just gonna correct one thing, here is the lineup of major Gamecube exclusives in 2002

February-Sonic Adventure 2 Battle

April-Resident Evil

June-Eternal Darkness

August-Super Mario Sunshine

September-Animal Crossing, Star Fox Adventures

October-Mario Party 4

November- Metroid Prime, Resident Evil Zero

So there was never really a prolonged drought for Gamecube in 2002.

It sure as hell felt like it. After getting so many great game for the first few months, they just stopped coming. Compared to what the PS2 was doing at the time, having one noticeable game every 2 months wasn't worth bragging about. Also, NIntendo had a total media lockout at the time where nobody was getting any information out of them up until E3 which meant that NIntendo coverage on a lot of internet sites and magazines was scarce compared to the PS2 and Xbox.

Samus Aran said:
DerpSandwich said:

I should have said Nintendo home consoles; handhelds are obviously an exception.

The Wii is also an exception, because it captured a huge non-gamer part of the market.  That market has now moved on, putting the Wii U exactly where it should be in the declining trend.

Doesn't change the fact that it happened and shouldn't be ignored.

It did happen, and it should be considered, but so should everything.  Saying Nintendo is fine because the Wii did so well is in fact ignoring a lot of factors.  All of the solid evidence points to a downward trend, and literally every system except the Wii supports that theory.  The exception can be explained, thus still supporting the theory.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

DerpSandwich said:

It did happen, and it should be considered, but so should everything.  Saying Nintendo is fine because the Wii did so well is in fact ignoring a lot of factors.  All of the solid evidence points to a downward trend, and literally every system except the Wii supports that theory.  The exception can be explained, thus still supporting the theory.

Sales don't say everything of course.

GC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS3 /XBOX profit wise

Samus Aran said:
DerpSandwich said:

GC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS3 /XBOX profit wise

I've heard that it ultimately turned a profit, but I haven't seen any evidence that it did as well as you're claiming.  I'm pretty sure Nintendo themselves called it a disappointment.  Yeah, profit and sales are two different things, but diminishing sales is eventually going to lead to diminished profits.  That's just how it works.

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to argue here.  I'm just saying that the demand for Nintendo systems is decreasing with the change in consumer tastes.  But you keep trying to make these little points as if to prove me wrong or possibly to get the last word, but they don't really have a bearing on the argument.  So I'm going to stop here.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Samus Aran said:
DerpSandwich said:

We don't know that. Nintendo never set apart the revenue figures for the GC and the GBA. We know the company as a whole posted a loss when the GC was down to $99 by the end of 2003. So the GC must have sold significantly below break-even for a large part of its lifetime.

Not to mention I think their pricing strategy might have been more detrimental than helpful to its sales due to negative value perception... the GC kept selling very poorly beside a good month or two after the famed pricecut to $99.