By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What if the new Zelda had quick time events? Is there a double standard?

Acevil said:

Doubtful, and QTE as stupid and annoying as they  didn't stop Resident Evil 4 from having a good score. Resident Evil 4 had an entire battle with it, just like The Order.

You know RE 4 QTEs were new at that time, and not just that the game is the standard for TPS

Around the Network

Doesn't bother me either way.

I wouldn't really mind.

QTEs can be used well when used sparingly. Zelda has already dabbled with them with things like the Ending/Fatal Blow in Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, the whole counter system in Wind Waker toes the line of what a QTE is, and maybe a couple of other instances that aren't on the top of my head.

I feel that QTEs are best utilized as a reward for something. They can feel pretty satisfying when they come at the end of something, like a period (or in some cases an exclamation mark) at the end of a sentence. If you fight a tough battle against a boss, especially the final boss, it's not bad to finish them off with a QTE.

This is probably a wasted effort on my part though since this thread seems to have been created for the sole purpose of ragging on The Order, a game I was tired of hearing about over 6 months ago.

BraLoD said:
David_Hernandeez said:

You know RE 4 QTEs were new at that time, and not just that the game is the standard for TPS

They were not new at all.

I second this, all of Dragon's Lair from 83 was QTE, as well as space ace that came out a bit later.  Definitely not new.

Edit: Dragon's Lair was the shit back in the day though.

Around the Network

No thanks. I like battles that I can actually take part in. Not QTE shit.

Dulfite said:
I laugh at the thought of Zelda being as poorly made as most popular triple a games... lol

thats what made me laugh too lol thats why i decided to post it. im glad somebody laughed about it the same way i did.

RubberWhistleHistle said:
Dulfite said:
I laugh at the thought of Zelda being as poorly made as most popular triple a games... lol

thats what made me laugh too lol thats why i decided to post it. im glad somebody laughed about it the same way i did.

WE SHALL LAUGH TOGETHER THEN!!! HAHA...HAHA... MUWHAHAHA!!!

I don't think QTE's are a bad thing, but they can make a game feel more "cheap."

I have no issue with QTEs as long as they're done well. The Yakuza series has them all over the place but it actually uses them well.

Resident Evil though and Lords of Shadow 2, etc? Those are games that use them really poorl. Lords of Shadow 2 half of the time uses the good QTE style of the first game, the other half of the time requires the correct button press.