By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360 Rumour - More believable then the 60gig BS

i still dont know why people would want a hdd that big.

just like i think that the elite is pointless.

my friend has an elite and he has more than 80gb left.

Around the Network
gebx said:

http://www.fragland.net/news/Michael-Pachter-500-GB-HDD-for-Xbox-360/18752/

- 500 GB HDD coming to the Elite

- 120 GB HDD coming to premiums

Harddrives are cheap to manufacture, so why would MS jump from 20 gigs to 60 gigs? It seems like a lot of energy and time will be spent by MS for a minor upgrade.

If MS really wants to take digital downloads to the next step with its marketplace then they'll need a much bigger HDD then 60 gigs.

120 gigs would be more then enough for the regular users, and 500gigs more then enough for the elites

Not laptop drives, which both the 360 and PS3 use. So a 120GB is much more believeable. I don't think there is even a 500GB laptop drive that would fit on a 360, not to mention it'd double its price.

gebx said:
jake_the_fake1 said:
Mars said:
So if 360 owners want to upgrade to that 500gb hdd what will it cost them givin the pricing of MS hdds ?

It'll probably cost them a kidney.

I think the HDD would only be available in new 360's at first.

And in the future it wouldn't have to cost too much to upgrade to a 500gig, ex:

Newegg.com sells 500gig for $144. Add a $50 MS "we like money" fee +$5 cheap plastic casing and you have a $199 500gig 360 HDD...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148294

Not a great example... but you see the point.

You continue to make me laugh Mr. Gebx, by your lack of knowledge for just about everything. 360 uses a laptop drive, not a desktop drive. And even if it did use a desktop drive, do you really think Microsoft would raise the price of their console $100+ for it?

MySonZaire said:
ssj12 said:
they should release a Solid State Drive version. There would be less heat.
Yeah, and absurdly high prices or low storage capacity

High price, and the less heat wouldn't do much. The hard drive is not the problem when it comes to heat. It's the GPU/CPU warping the motherboard, isn't it?

OT: How is this more believable? 500GB? The reason the 360's drive costs so much is because it's proprietary. You can't just stick any old hard drive in. It has that special plastic casing over it, which means they can charge a premium cause normal people can't swap out the hard drive like you can in a PS3.

in common words

Pachters Gone Mad!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

This doesn't make much sense. Those most likely to embrace DD and XBL are early adopters and technophiles, people who would've already bought a system if they wanted one. The people buying in now would probably make very little use of such large HDDs.

gebx said:

http://www.fragland.net/news/Michael-Pachter-500-GB-HDD-for-Xbox-360/18752/

- 500 GB HDD coming to the Elite

- 120 GB HDD coming to premiums

Harddrives are cheap to manufacture, so why would MS jump from 20 gigs to 60 gigs? It seems like a lot of energy and time will be spent by MS for a minor upgrade.

If MS really wants to take digital downloads to the next step with its marketplace then they'll need a much bigger HDD then 60 gigs.

120 gigs would be more then enough for the regular users, and 500gigs more then enough for the elites

Why is it more believable? I dont find it so believable, a 500gb HDD is insane.

mM
makingmusic476 said:
Those most likely to embrace DD and XBL are early adopters and technophiles, people who would've already bought a system if they wanted one. The people buying in now would probably make very little use of such large HDDs.

That's a very good point actually.  Both the PS3 and 360 need to start trying to appeal to a more mass market/casual userbase.  This "arms race" of specs will only keep them hurting each other while the Wii pulls away further if they don't do something about it.   Instead of building bigger SKUs they should just concentrate on cutting the price of existing SKUs especially the 360 if it wants to nip the PS3's momentum before it gets too overwhelming.

Unless Ms wants to dive right back into the red due to production costs I doubt they're gonna be stuffing 500 GB drives in - not unless they switch from laptop to desktop drives, but wouldn't that need a console re-design?

Besides, they clearly want something on the cheaper end but are getting flack over Arcade lack of HDD so a version with 40 or 60 GB actually makes some sense.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Alright 500gb might be a little too high

I predict a 250 GB HDD for the elite and 120 gb for premium

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)