By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360 Rumour - More believable then the 60gig BS

Did you ever wonder why the Elite is so expensive as it is? It's because of the harddrive bro. 20GB to 60GB is the most likely to happen, the Elite won't change.

Around the Network
Dolla Dolla said:
MySonZaire said:
ssj12 said:
they should release a Solid State Drive version. There would be less heat.
Yeah, and absurdly high prices or low storage capacity

High price, and the less heat wouldn't do much. The hard drive is not the problem when it comes to heat. It's the GPU/CPU warping the motherboard, isn't it?

OT: How is this more believable? 500GB? The reason the 360's drive costs so much is because it's proprietary. You can't just stick any old hard drive in. It has that special plastic casing over it, which means they can charge a premium cause normal people can't swap out the hard drive like you can in a PS3.

actually thats a load of crap.

If you take apart a 360 HDD its a laptop HDD that has a specialized adapter to make people think its special. Just have to removed the 2.5" drive with another.  It just voids warranties. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Lower end 120GB laptop harddrives are about $70 upper end about $100, whereas 250GBs lower end is $120 and the upper end being $150.

Ask yourself, is Microsoft really going to tack on another $70 to the premium and $30-$80 for the Elite.

Hell no, they are in a race for price against Sony. Like I said, if there was a harddrive increase it'd be on the premium from 20GB to 60GB. All Microsoft wants to do is be able to say "Our 2 SKUs have larger harddrives than Sony's", not "Our consoles cost $700 because we felt like putting in a 500GB harddrive".

I want a 500 Gb HDD with a Blu-Ray player and call it the 360 Ultimate... Price it at $599 above the Elite. Throw in a case redesign and use the upcoming Graphics chip and you've got something worth talking about.

Username2324 said:
Lower end 120GB laptop harddrives are about $70 upper end about $100, whereas 250GBs lower end is $120 and the upper end being $150.

Ask yourself, is Microsoft really going to tack on another $70 to the premium and $30-$80 for the Elite.

Hell no, they are in a race for price against Sony. Like I said, if there was a harddrive increase it'd be on the premium from 20GB to 60GB. All Microsoft wants to do is be able to say "Our 2 SKUs have larger harddrives than Sony's", not "Our consoles cost $700 because we felt like putting in a 500GB harddrive".

I don't see the premium going to 120 gig costing MS more then $20 per console. 

Take the $69.99 HDD (laptop HDD) and factor out the retail price added by newegg. MS has buying power and  can hammer out a deal for purchasing item in mass quantities (lowers cost to $40/unit<--guesstimate). Then substract the cost of the 20gig HDD thats being replaced ($20/unit <- guesstimate)

Manufacturing and assembly line costs wouldn't change since its basically replacing one HDD with another, everything is already in place.

Same thing for the Elite, other the it would cost a little bit more from going to 250 gigs but the Elite, being overpriced, is already in a position to take on the extra cost without passing it on to the customers.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

A 20GB laptop drive costs virtually nothing, so if your $40 guesstimate is correct (highly unlikely), that'd drive production costs up $40, and would either eliminate the possibility of a price cut, or put Microsoft in the red once again.

There's simply no need for the Elite to have a 250GB harddrive, I can't even fill up the 160GB drive I put in my PS3.

No matter how much you want it to happen, it won't. Any harddrive increase on the 360 would be the Premium from 20GB to 60GB because that wouldn't cost hardly anything for MS. Just deal with it.

Username2324 said:
A 20GB laptop drive costs virtually nothing, so if your $40 guesstimate is correct (highly unlikely), that'd drive production costs up $40, and would either eliminate the possibility of a price cut, or put Microsoft in the red once again.

There's simply no need for the Elite to have a 250GB harddrive, I can't even fill up the 160GB drive I put in my PS3.

No matter how much you want it to happen, it won't. Any harddrive increase on the 360 would be the Premium from 20GB to 60GB because that wouldn't cost hardly anything for MS. Just deal with it.

Really? could you tell me where i can pick up a 20gig HDD for virtually nothing? That would be great! For someone who keeps claiming he knows everything, who do seems kind of short on the business side of things. You do realize that manufacturing plants still pay the same wages, utilities, shipping, and all basic costs no matter what size HDD they create right?? 

If MS wants to push the digital download service then they're going to have to offer more then 60gigs to its customers. I don't see why they would spend all this energy and money on such a small upgrade that will have to be done all over again in two years to stay competitive.

Username2324 said:

Theirs a little bit more content available on Xbox Live then on the PSN... <-- understatement

CaptainPrefrences said:
i still dont know why people would want a hdd that big.

just like i think that the elite is pointless.

my friend has an elite and he has more than 80gb left.

Which means he would almost have used up his entire 40gb PS3 storage capacity, just two yrs into it's life.

When your one of the frontrunners in High-Defintion downloads like Microsoft is, you need storage.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

gebx said:
Alright 500gb might be a little too high

I predict a 250 GB HDD for the elite and 120 gb for premium

But what about all the 60gb rumours for the premium?  Or do you think the 60gb will replace the arcade?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS