By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Infamous Second Son kuporeview

Well 4/10 does seem harsh, it does bring up a point in reviewing scores.

Seems like most people think that only BROKEN games can get a 5 or lower. Like a game has to be unplayable to get that low of a score. Shouldn't a broken game get a 0/10

Just cause a game is playable doesn't mean it deserves a minimum of a 6. That's why our review system is so broken. Video games aren't a new medium, there are very very very few broken games.

I mean go to rotten tomatoes, there are plenty of very watchable movies that get scores in the 20-40 range. Those movies are watchable but flawed, whether it be a cliche'd story, or whatever it is that gets it docked, it doesn't mean its not watchable.

Same as this game. It's lack of variety and repetativeness should be much bigger factor than whether its broken or not. If Mario Party 10 releasees and all 100 games are basically the exact same thing, it would get ripped to shreds. WHy do these open world type games that have you do only 1-2 different sidequests 100 times not get the same treatment.

Around the Network
irstupid said:

Seems like most people think that only BROKEN games can get a 5 or lower. Like a game has to be unplayable to get that low of a score. Shouldn't a broken game get a 0/10

Just cause a game is playable doesn't mean it deserves a minimum of a 6. That's why our review system is so broken. Video games aren't a new medium, there are very very very few broken games.

I mean go to rotten tomatoes, there are plenty of very watchable movies that get scores in the 20-40 range. Those movies are watchable but flawed, whether it be a cliche'd story, or whatever it is that gets it docked, it doesn't mean its not watchable.

Same as this game. It's lack of variety and repetativeness should be much bigger factor than whether its broken or not. If Mario Party 10 releasees and all 100 games are basically the exact same thing, it would get ripped to shreds. WHy do these open world type games that have you do only 1-2 different sidequests 100 times not get the same treatment.

There is a big difference between movies and games. An active vs passive activity. And there are different levels of broken. There are cosmetic, they are those that cause reloading saves and those that make games or parts of games unplayable. 

For me the scale of one to ten was like grades 1 to 5 are all failing. 6 a D 7 a C and considered "average" 8  B 9 A 10 A+

As for the mini game comparison. There are more than 2 types of side quests in addition to that not being the main part of the game. A game all about mini games is different and shouldn't be treated like an open world super hero game.

Biggest problem second son had to me was method in changing your powers. Having to run to a neon sign or run up to a roof of a building and look for a satellite in the middle of a fever pitched battle to switch powers just ground the action to a halt. If you could swap powers on the fly, or just concentrated and really fleshed out one, it could have been a lot more fun.

Wonktonodi said:
irstupid said:

There is a big difference between movies and games. An active vs passive activity. And there are different levels of broken. There are cosmetic, they are those that cause reloading saves and those that make games or parts of games unplayable. 

For me the scale of one to ten was like grades 1 to 5 are all failing. 6 a D 7 a C and considered "average" 8  B 9 A 10 A+

As for the mini game comparison. There are more than 2 types of side quests in addition to that not being the main part of the game. A game all about mini games is different and shouldn't be treated like an open world super hero game.

Haven't played this game, but played many that have the same premise, such as a spiderman games, assassin creeds or batman games.  Anyone who has played those games, know that side quests are severly lacking in some of those.  You end up doing the same damn thing over and over and over and over again.  

If I were to say I rushed through one of this Open World genre games in say 3-4 hours I woudl get blasted like crazy, saying you skipped all kinds of sidequests or collectables, ect and you didn't really play the game.  With doing that all its easily a 15 hour game.   I'm sorry but doing the same damn quests over and over and over again or collecting feathers or whatever random shit the game wants you to collect is not something that I consider part of a great game.  It needs variety and numerious types.  And not just some big arbritary number of collectables for the sake of extending my play time.  

irstupid said:
Wonktonodi said:

Haven't played this game, but played many that have the same premise, such as a spiderman games, assassin creeds or batman games.  Anyone who has played those games, know that side quests are severly lacking in some of those.  You end up doing the same damn thing over and over and over and over again.  

If I were to say I rushed through one of this Open World genre games in say 3-4 hours I woudl get blasted like crazy, saying you skipped all kinds of sidequests or collectables, ect and you didn't really play the game.  With doing that all its easily a 15 hour game.   I'm sorry but doing the same damn quests over and over and over again or collecting feathers or whatever random shit the game wants you to collect is not something that I consider part of a great game.  It needs variety and numerious types.  And not just some big arbritary number of collectables for the sake of extending my play time.  

The first assassins creed feels much more repetitive than this infamous game and rightfully scores on average less than second son.

This game had graffiti mini games, taking out dups hiding in public that was mostly a chase like mini game, taking out cameras, and taking out drones both moving and stationary. There is also the combat with some variety of enemiesI a little light. And 3 and a half different set of powers. There is also the story to it where you can make choices of good or evil plus there is some I believe free dlc missions and photo mode. There is more variety here than many open world games

Around the Network

I don't agree with you OP.

You score it 4/10 because you don't like the traveling method in the game, and you don't like the things you can do in between while traveling. Am I right so far?

Did you do any showdown missions to unlock the billboards for fast traveling?

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:
I don't agree with you OP.

You score it 4/10 because you don't like the traveling method in the game, and you don't like the things you can do in between while traveling. Am I right so far?

Did you do any showdown missions to unlock the billboards for fast traveling?

All you have to do is check out my trophies if you're interested, there's a trophy for doing one of everything.  And yes, I did it for four districts.

I'll give you a 4/10 in this review Kupo for not linking the final boss battle without spoilers video :P

Many people loved Infamous: Second Son, and I can appreciate that people have different tastes and standards, but I actually gave it 5/10 on another forum. Not a popular view at the time but for me this game lacks heart.

The PS5 Exists. 

I've played infamous 1 and second son I enjoyed them thoroughly and didn't think twice about playing the campaign again, I missed 2 as it didn't really interest me in the first 30 minutes. I may have to re visit it on PS Now after the posts on this thread though..

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'