By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony Santa Monica designer threatens future ad revenue and review copies of games in retaliation of low The Order scores

Sucks that this one idiot's comment will be labelled as "Santa Monica's thoughts" by many.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

What an entitled crybaby.

Wonktonodi said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I can't speak for anyone else, but this has nothing to do with The Order for me. It has everything to do with a designer suggesting that his or any other studio should remove the video game media from the equation because of negative press.

Is there a ridiculous amount of irrational hatred for The Order among forum posters like us? Yes, in some quarters. Is the article posted in the OP sensationalist and poorly written? Yes, undoubtedly. Is the video game media in general plagued by corruption and nepotism? Yes, I believe so. But Rhymer didn't take to Twitter to impeach the integrity of the video game media after years of overinflated scores, conflicts of interest, and unprofessional behavior. He cried foul only when critics panned The Order, and then petulantly wondered aloud whether the punishment for negative press was complete ostracization. This is completely unprofessional, and it says a lot more about developers and publishers than it does about the media and fans. 

How on Earth would consumers be served if games were screened only by sympathetic media members? 

I would argue we aren't served by them now. They are all about click bait articles. Had he said one or two sites specifically or even was thinking that when he said it sure. I'm thinking along the lines that the game makers are seeing the sites for what they have become and is wondering what the point of review copies and advertising on gaming media sites. Personally I'd love more of a separation.  

You don't think there is a big problem with the person who wrote the review of the order also being the guy who wrote this click bait tilted "article"? 

There are shills out there. There are fanatics with a tenuous grasp of the English language masquerading as journalists. This I won't deny.

But Rhymer's idea is not the answer. The better alternative is to fix the problems that haunt the medium, many of which, let's be honest, orginate with the undue influence of publishers on the media.

Another problem, and one that has popped up repeatedly in this industry, is the misdirected venom of myopic fans who browbeat the media only when their favorite systems and publishers face criticism. This is an enormous problem. Until consumers can stand up for what's right instead of defending their own, nothing will ever improve.

What a baby...

I have a feeling that by the end of this console generation a good half of the current reviewers will be gone. The clickbait brigade pandering to the fanboys are dragging the whole profession into the ground. I don't remember the last time reviews swayed myself or any of my frineds. They are more and more just a trophy in a fanboy cabinet. I am not suprised in the slightest that people who matter are starting to question why giving people money, just because they get huge hits for being consistently bottom of reviewers on metacritic should be the right order of things.

Around the Network

he mad!

lol are people really pretending that its not natural to put your own selfish interests above those of "the greater good"?

the developer benefits from the perception that his product is worthwhile therefore he is expressing his desire to protect his interests

...is that "moral"? no probably not but so what? what do people think lol? that freshly baptised saints create your games?

no flawed people just like all of you and me create games... people that from time to time will say things that do not fit into the paradigm of "morality"

i personally just think he's being honest and actually putting what is on his mind out there... instead of resorting to some vapid fake bullshit that we like to hear because it makes us feel good... this stupid pandering to what feels good and not what actually is, is the cause of so much bs in the world today

He shouldn't whine so much, just make sure his games don't suck in the future.

ParryWinkle said:
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the modern gaming industry.

What seems new about this?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Jonathan is following Dean,  and Dean is following Jonathan in twitter.  I think these two are having a personal issue going on. Dean stated his opionion on his name while Jonathan used CraveOnline company to publish his response.