By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jimquisition: The Old 'How Long Should Games Be?' Debate

shikamaru317 said:
TheGoldenBoy said:

So should games that are longer than 60 hours (greater than 1:1 ratio) be priced more because they have more content? Something like Skyrim for example?

Logic says they could, but alot of gamers would bring out the torches and pitchforks if they actually tried it xD

True. Gamers, not all obviously, are an entitled bunch. 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
TheGoldenBoy said:

True. Gamers, not all obviously, are an entitled bunch. 

Yeah, just look at how much resistance gamers have put up to the idea of the standard price for new games increasing from $60 to $70. Developers and publishers have found their way around that block though, in the form of expensive DLC. 

Exactly. With game development costs going up it makes sense that they'd want to increase the price but that's impossible. If we've learned anything this generation is that gamers, console gamers in general, are resistant to change.

1 hour of entertainment for $1?

gamers are spoiled these days. I can't name anything that gives you 1 hour of entertainment for such a low price.
Of course unless you keep replaying, rewatching, rereading etc. them or buying entertainment at an extremely low budget price.

Everything else being equal, a good 50 hour game is of far more value than a good 5 hour game, sorry (not sorry).

kowenicki said:
Kerotan said:
I'll watch it now but personally the order cost be €40 because I bought on the US store. 12 hours for first play through and I'll get another 8 out of it at least. That's 2 euro per hour. Worth it for me but I was in Gamestop today and the order is priced at 75 fucking euro. For a less than 10 hour single player only game that's a lot of money. Glad I did it the digital way or else id be trading it in to get good value.

In respect of the Order he is saying the length discussion is a red herring... its a debate that is pointless and gets in the way of the real issues. 

In his opinion, and most peoples opinion, length is the least of its problems.

OT

He is right, what will often count is if it is worth it to the end user. 

The developer can pontificate all they want about new gaming boundaries and new experiences (this is usually emporer's new clothes in my experience in any event) but if people think it isnt worth it and they have a choice, then game A (6 hours) may find itself left on the shelf in favour of game B (20 hours).  It is a pure and cold financial decison for many people.

Just watched it and he's right to an extent. If I had a choice between the order and say far cry 4 or gta 5 I wouldn't pick the order because it's shorter and I'll enjoy them all. 

The points he brought up about the order were not negatives for me. I enjoyed the QTE's and the story. The mini games were very good and we're not negative in any way. 

Price is an issue. Gamestop in my country sells it for 75 euro. Too much for any game especally a single player only game. 

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Lenght of a game should never enter the review points IMO, lenght does not say jack shit about the quality.

This book sucks, only have 100 pages !!!! DERP...

Why should a game's length be excluded from a review, especially when the supposed point of reviews (whether the reality matches the ideal or not is another question) is to tell you whether the reviewer thinks something is worth your money? If a publisher is asking $60 for a 2-3 hour game in this day and age, that game had goddamn well better be the digital equivalent of an orgasm. To me, that's like saying that glaring bugs/glitches should be excluded from reviews. Everything should count.

Barozi said:

gamers are spoiled these days. I can't name anything that gives you 1 hour of entertainment for such a low price.

Netflix, mobile games, and pay what you want Humble bundles.

Barozi said:

Of course unless you keep replaying, rewatching, rereading etc. them or buying entertainment at an extremely low budget price.

I don't know what other argue for but l I argue that potential 1 hour of entertainment per dollar is perfect. Like 3D Mario games usuallly last 10-15 hours before you beat the final boss and maybe a few more hours to get all the stars/collectibles depending on the difficulty. But the game is designed to be replayed over and over again so I can potentially play it for 40 more hours and still have fun with it. 

Also I'm in extremely tight budget so I try to find games that have a lot of value. And there are plenty of games that offer 60 hours of entertainment in single player or with multiplayer as well. I usually buy Nintendo games and Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and 3D World will entertain me for 60 hours so games like these exist and probably in other platforms/consoles as well. But again, I argue a dollar per hour is perfect so anything less is also acceptable! Personally, any 60$ game in US dollars that offer less than 30 hours of potential entertainment has very poor value for me.

I require at least $1 per hour. Anything more than $5 per hour is unreasonable and I will not purchase it

Size of the game doesnt matter anymore if you are like me and play older games too, changes are you have a lot of games you havent even beat yet