By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony's Woes Show Just How Bad Nintendo's Are

But Wii U has the gamepad! Its the only console that tries to innovate in this generation and Nintendo's first party games are so unique and have nintendo's quality seal.

Sarcasm you know.

Around the Network

Nintendo's fucked because they make good games!

They should go third party and make shitty ones!

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Skullwaker said:
Nintendo's fucked because they make good games!

They should go third party and make shitty ones!

Chop them up, make them more pretty, charge hellish prices and they'll own the hearts of the hardcores.

Skully, you've done it again.

maxleresistant said:
Exclusive games have never been the only selling point of a console. So stop obsessin about it, PS4 is selling because she have all the biggest third party franchise, all the features that the gamers ask for and even more, and she is the most powerful of the 3.

Never? Every generation winner up until the PS4 has won on the strength of exclusives to a certain extent, PS2 being the iffy-ist of those, but still getting a hell of a lot of games that nobody even bothered making for Xbox or GameCube simply because it sold so much (though that's a chicken-or-the-egg). But exclusives were foundational to NES, SNES, PS1 (with the migrated 3rd party games), and especially Wii.

What this generation shows us is simply that critical hits don't sell consoles necessarily, but that's far away from meaning that exclusives don't sell consoles.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Uabit said:
But Wii U has the gamepad! Its the only console that tries to innovate in this generation and Nintendo's first party games are so unique and have nintendo's quality seal.

Sarcasm you know.

Seriously bro, i'd stay well out of Nintendo-related threads with your mod history.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
binary solo said:
Does any console have a must own exclusive? Is there a game on Wii U that has a 100% attach rate? Must own is such a stupid term, because there isn't a video game in all of history that everyone who owned the platform for it bought or played the game.

Fact is PS4 has plenty of good quality games that do not exist on a Nintendo platform and if you want those games you have to choose between PS4, Xb one and PC. And for some good quality games you only have PS4 and PC to choose from.

Nintendo's problem is that the so called must have games it releases are repeats of franchises that are several generations old. In terms of exclusives there's virtually no new IP in Nintendo's top line up of games. Perhaps what gets people coming to Playstation is the frequency with which they bring new IP to the table. Some might flop, some might be merely OK or good and a few turn out to be major gaming masterpieces. People are willing to get behind a company that produces new IP even if a lot of it happens to be underwhelming. Because people know some true gems will come out of that sort of game development philosophy.

Nintendo is still trying to milk success out of Mario, Zelda and Pokemon after how many years and how many games using those central IP?

Must own doesn't mean or imply every one owns it, it just means that the game is good enough that everybody should play it.

As for the so called "Repeats", thats whats interesting with Nintendo. They do have their core franchises, but that doesn't mean they are rehashing anything. Despite the familiar name, these games often bring a lot of new mechanics and ideas to the table. Now, when I look at new IPs across the board what do I see? More often then not, I just see games doing the same thing that others have done countless times, simply with a different name. More often than not, these new IPs come in crowded genres, and really don't break new ground in them.

Look at Mario games and how many different styles are there? Look at Kirby games like Canvas Curse, Epic Yarn, Mass Attack etc...All of those could have easily been new IPs with the amount of new and interesting ideas that were in each of those games, despite falling under the same IP as more traditional Kirby games like Return to Dreamland. Compare Metroid Prime to Other M to Super Metroid and Fusion. Compare Kid Icarus Uprising to KI 1 and 2. Nobody reinvents their franchises like Nintendo, and even within the scope of these familiar names, they have more new ideas than most new IPs.

Really, I haven't seen any new IPs on the PS4 which did anything new, especially when looked at next to games on Wii U like Super Mario 3D World/Kirby's Rainbow Curse (both huge expansions on a handheld game, which had a lot of really interesting ideas) or Splatoon/W101/ZombiU (all interesting new IPs which actually had new ideas in them). I think you could make the argument that D4 and Sunset Overdrive are intersting and unique on the XBO side, but honestly, I haven't seen much on Sony's side.

OfficerRaichu15 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Twilight Princess outsold every Uncharted. 

wind waker is combined sold over 6 million :)

people add last of us with its last gen counterpart all the time so I dont see why not XD

uncharted 3 is at 6.6.

You guys are missing the point. It's zelda vs UNCHARTED. How is Sony even competing?

Reviews do not determine if a game is quality made or a flop since it's completely subjective. The majority of gamers take reviewers opinions with a grain of salt. From the business prospective, if a game or product sells well then it's considered a success.

theprof00 said:
OfficerRaichu15 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Twilight Princess outsold every Uncharted. 

wind waker is combined sold over 6 million :)

people add last of us with its last gen counterpart all the time so I dont see why not XD

uncharted 3 is at 6.6.

You guys are missing the point. It's zelda vs UNCHARTED. How is Sony even competing?

Uncharted is easily one of the biggest new IPs over the last decade...why is it surprising?

Or maybe those games arent as perfect as some people like to think? or they just dont like them. Vice versa. ITs all subjective