By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Nation Threads and Their Role in the Forums: A Critique

Seece said:
Shinobi-san said:

You couldnt be more wrong, because thats not what im saying at all.

It is tho, in essence. What you perhaps hope for would never happen, that's like asking for World peace.

Perhaps I am asking for world peace. maybe im not.

What im not asking for is for every thread to turn into a shit storm, and im certainly not lying or fabricating anything in my post.

Edit: You know what i dont like about essence it skips all the details

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network

I will try to relate this to another forum I am on which revolves around a sport league.

The issue of trolling and flamming became a very real one there so they segregated the forum into "general" and "rivalries" sections. Simply put if a thread was created to annoy or mock a fan base it was moved to rivalries. Now, that section of the forum was insanely toxic and mean spirited. However moving all that bile to a sub section made the general much more positive and easier to moderate. "Take it to rivalries" was the first and last warning of any mod so people knew there was an "unsafe haven" so to speak.

What if we did that? A sub section of all the negative crap on here so various communities felt the general forum was a place of civil reasonable debate and moderators wouldn't silence members, but move threads accordingly.

Shinobi-san said:
Seece said:
Shinobi-san said:

You couldnt be more wrong, because thats not what im saying at all.

It is tho, in essence. What you perhaps hope for would never happen, that's like asking for World peace.

What im not asking for is for every thread to turn into a shit storm, and im certainly not lying or fabricating anything in my post.

I'm not saying you want every thread to be a shitstorm, but that's what it would be, that's what it always is. And yes you are wrong on several of your points, like I said you clearly have beef with Empire, it's not an "us vs them" attitude at all and we're not segregated, half the people signed up because of Empire, who says they were ever interested in debating in threads and dealing with trash talk?

I only post on one Nation thread, and while I somehow feel they have lived its usefulness, getting rid of them immediately might make things worse. Sure, everyone goes to it because it's a safe haven from the harsh world out there, but most of the users they are limiting their participation into that only thread. I have no business dictating who has to post a comment and where, but staying in one thread doesn't help the many other good threads. I believe the Nation threads shouldn't be removed, but participation on other threads should be encouraged.

I only post on one Nation thread, and while I somehow feel they have lived its usefulness, getting rid of them immediately might make things worse. Sure, everyone goes to it because it's a safe haven from the harsh world out there, but most of the users they are limiting their participation into that only thread. I have no business dictating who has to post a comment and where, but staying in one thread doesn't help the many other good threads. I believe the Nation threads shouldn't be removed, but participation on other threads should be encouraged.

Around the Network
Seece said:
Shinobi-san said:

I'm not saying you want every thread to be a shitstorm, but that's what it would be, that's what it always is. And yes you are wrong on several of your points, like I said you clearly have beef with Empire, it's not an "us vs them" attitude at all and we're not segregated, half the people signed up because of Empire, who says they were ever interested in debating in threads and dealing with trash talk?

You flat out said i want every thread to be a shitstorm...what else was I suppose to take away from that?

I dont have beef with the Xbox Empire thread and again its wrong for you to put words in my mouth and project how you think i feel about something on to me. For the most part my experience in the Xbox thread was generally positive, as i said in my post i did have one altercation in that thread which i didnt like. However my post goes a way beyond that and mentions additional issues that is created by all nation threads.

I think you are forgetting that the original PSNation thread was also pretty bad. If you want to make this about the Xbox thread then thats on you not on me.

If you feel im lying about something, then point it out. Other than that Seece, thats my opinion on the topic at hand. You dont have to agree with it, but i stand by everything i said.

edit: I would say what happened in the original PSNation thread is the absolute worse case scenario and it's most likely what Smeags is trying to avoid.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Shinobi-san said:
Seece said:
Shinobi-san said:

You flat out said i want every thread to be a shitstorm...what else was I suppose to take away from that?

I dont have beef with the Xbox Empire thread and again its wrong for you to put words in my mouth and project how you think i feel about something on to me. For the most part my experience in the Xbox thread was generally positive, as i said in my post i did have one altercation in that thread which i didnt like. However my post goes a way beyond that and mentions additional issues that is created by all nation threads.

I think you are forgetting that the original PSNation thread was also pretty bad. If you want to make this about the Xbox thread then thats on you not on me.

If you feel im lying about something, then point it out. Other than that Seece, thats my opinion on the topic at hand. You dont have to agree with it, but i stand by everything i said.

It's a figure of speech Shinobi, by wanting the Nation threads locked that's what you'll get (and you know it, just go look at the many examples today).

I've heard differently, that you didn't feel welcome or something and you have said things about it?

I didn't look in the PSNation thread, why would I?

I will point out where you're wrong later when I have more time.

Smeags said:

Nation Threads in the Present. A Critique.

I understand the appeal of Nation Threads and why there was a move to create them. In once sense they act as a all-in-one hub for (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Vita) news, which has its use. But I think the main reason why they've become so all encompassing is because they offer a safe haven for fans. At the end of the day, I think fans naturally gravitate towards more insular style of discussion.

Ain't the general structure of the forum (Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, PC, Mobile Discussion) already splitting up the members in groups with insular style of discussion and the "nation threads" are only the icing on the cake?

Perhaps it would be better with subforums based on IPs instead of subforums based on console manufacturers.

For example:

• General Discussion
  • New IPs
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Battlefield
  • Call of Duty
  • EA Sports
  • Fallout
  • Far Cry
  • Final Fantasy
  • GTA
  • Halo
  • Mario
  • Mass Effect
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Pokémon
  • The Elder Scrolls
  • Tomb Raider
  • Uncharted
  • Zelda
  • other Nintendo-exclusives
  • other Sony-exclusives
  • other Microsoft-exclusives
  • other Multiplatform-IPs

Or subforums based on publishers instead of subforums based on console manufacturers:

• General Discussion
  • Nintendo
  • Sony
  • Microsoft
  • Electronic Arts
  • Activision / Blizzard
  • Ubisoft
  • Bandai Namco
  • Square Enix
  • Take Two
  • Bethesda
  • Capcom
  • Konami
  • Sega
  • other publishers / developers

Or subforums based on genres IPs instead of subforums based on console manufacturers.

Shinobi-san said:

Metaphors.  He is saying that without the nation threads that it would revolt to being chaos and propaganda as most exclusive threads turn into and not everybody is interested in that type of discussion. Go visit a Rare ltd thread. And we are ignoring the fact that XBE has both made the Xbox community larger than ever before, and ironically more active because they do feel safer.  And we are ignoring that because of that thread people has specifically joined.  I cant even comment on how many people has come into XBE saying they signed up to VGC because of XBE because it happens often.  And i always make sure to go and welcome them.

There is also a TON of info that gets posted in these threads that usually would die if made its own thread.  Its a place that offers a social aspect where people can get to know each other and feel safe by talking about things they love rather than dealing with people who makes propaganda posts because they hate a plastic box.  

Seece said:
Shinobi-san said:

It's a figure of speech Shinobi, by wanting the Nation threads locked that's what you'll get (and you know it, just go look at the many examples today).

I've heard differently, that you didn't feel welcome or something and you have said things about it?

I didn't look in the PSNation thread, why would I?

I will point out where you're wrong later when I have more time.

Maybe im dumb but I dont see what the figure of speech is there? I do not want every thread to become a shitstorm. I do not want every thread to devolve into a back and forth. I do not want to see trash talking in every thread. I hope thats clear.

I dont know what the solution is, i was just giving some suggestions as others have. But i do feel there is a problem, and i always have, way before the PS guys even left.

I most certainly dont feel welcome in the XBE thread :P And boy do they make it known XD Even worse now that im a mod. That doesnt mean i have beef with it or any of the posters in there :) Again thats you projecting it on to me. Not feeling welcome and having beef is something completely different. If i had beef with certain groups of users then i should most likely not be a mod in the first place. I feel as though i have put that behind me, if others choose to carry on with "beef" or dislike me then thats on them.

That also doesnt mean i cant have an opinion on the Nation thread, and draw on my personal experience both as a user and a mod to formulate that opinion.