By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Nation Threads and Their Role in the Forums: A Critique

At the very end of the day, Nation threads are a good idea. They allow you to discuss things in a private setting, and they allow for discussion of news which itself may not be thread-worthy. That said reading Smeags' OP and looking at the state of some of the sub-forums on the site, I do agree with him. I'll also be talking as Coney the user as opposed to the mod, now. 

My mentality when I work on my thread is not that it should be a "safe haven" or a place for discussion not pertaining to Nintendo, but that it should be a place to discuss news that itself would not be thread worthy (as Slarvax said, easter eggs for example) and if the news does continue for some time then a thread should be made (the Microwaved 3DS for example). This way, the forum does not lose any activity outside of the thread but it also allows for a more complete experience. I disagree that this model would suck away life from the forums because from my experience it simply doesn't; the proof lies in the statistic of the forum index you pointed out.

Ofcourse, you could argue that this could be replaced as follows. Kill the Nation threads and have more official threads. That way you have the same not-news and opinion pieces, and it's also a friendly environment as everyone is there to enjoy the games. I've done plenty of "official threads" in the past and they've all worked out well, it's easy to meet up with other people for online, you ask a question you get an answer and more. In this manner the "Nation threads" are redundant because they're trying to do too much at once, and thus it's easy to lose focus and hurt the overall community.

So in short, there are pros and cons to the Nation threads; but I agree that the way things are now it's unlikely that the forum can remain healthy indefinitely. I like MBP's idea of locking the Nation threads for a week or so to see what damage would be done without them; I'm all for that. Perhaps a reset and a re-defining of the point of these Nation threads (or indeed Official threads as I mentioned) could be the solution.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
WhiteEaglePL said:
Blob said:
Take away the xbox nation thread and xbox fans won't have any safe places to post on these forums IMO.

But if so, then take away the PS and N Nation threads too.

Actually, take away the PS and N nation threads and let Xbox keep thiers. The site is way too unpropriatlnally dominated by PS andd closeby in second place by N.

Pretty sure there are more Nintendo fans than PS here.

I dunno, I think there's more PS fans. We should have an officiall tally, if a user is PS fan it's +1 to PS. If one is both MS + N then +1 to both! Only way to find out for sure perhaps.

WhiteEaglePL said:
Ka-pi96 said:
WhiteEaglePL said:
Blob said:
Take away the xbox nation thread and xbox fans won't have any safe places to post on these forums IMO.

But if so, then take away the PS and N Nation threads too.

Actually, take away the PS and N nation threads and let Xbox keep thiers. The site is way too unpropriatlnally dominated by PS andd closeby in second place by N.

Pretty sure there are more Nintendo fans than PS here.

I dunno, I think there's more PS fans. We should have an officiall tally, if a user is PS fan it's +1 to PS. If one is both MS + N then +1 to both! Only way to find out for sure perhaps.

I actually had a thread about this a short while back. There were way more Nintendo fans than PS fans. Will link soon.

Link: gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=196696&page=1

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Me? I hate them. Hate them with a passion. I used to go into the Vita thread but goddam. I'd go to work for a day and there would be a thousand new posts and all about a different topic. I'd see an interesting topic in the title and click on the thread only to never find it! And I mean NEVER!!

This a thousand times!

It's not just an unpopular view Smeags but it's wrong. I don't look at PSnation and think of it as "anti" something, I see it as somewhere PS fans go and don't get bothered, and of course I think the same of Empire and Nintendomination.

As far as Empire goes, it's CREATED discussion, new users and discussions. Before Empire the Xbox community here was barebones. Remember that. We're not interested in threads which are littered with Sony and Nintendo fans trash talking (and vice versa for them I'm sure) Just look at the Order and the chaos that has created.

Also, a lot of threads on Xbox (no idea on how it goes for the other two) die fast.

There seems to be some jealousy by some people and mods about Empire, for some odd reason. This is why this thread exists, not because of nation threads, because of Empire.

There is a reason the smallest fanbase on this site has the biggest thread (and real discussion takes place that otherwise wouldn't.)

"The greater Microsoft forum should have as much to talk about as the other forums do... and they do. It's just that all the discussion takes place in the Xbox Empire, at the expense of the overall Microsoft Forum."

No, before Empire the MS discussion was still dead.

Around the Network

I agree with everything the OP said.

Although i dont ever remember the hot topics for the forum not being on the home page of the site :? Maybe i am remembering incorrectly.

Starting off with the first point Smeags raised, in that the nation threads are redundant, i fully agree with this. Not only is it redundant but it's also a poor replacement for a forum. By design, a thread was never meant to be a forum. As d21lewis said, too often you see a lovely title on the hot topics, click on the thread and then never actually find the article and you never find the discussion around it. Its ridiculous. This makes the thread almost impossible to use for new users or for users who dont usually visit that thread. Where users who are constantly in the thread are following the discussion and articles posted in near real time. This is the first step in segregating other members and discouraging others to participate in the thread.

If you click on any other non nation thread you immediately read the OP which will have the relevant information as related to the title. And then all the discussion is around that topic in the following posts.

This leads to the second point Smeags raised, now that nation threads are becoming larger, first with the Vita thread, then the PSNation thread and now the Xbox thread. So much news articles get posted in these threads and don't get posted in the general forum. This further skews the perception of the site, in that all the positive news will get posted in the nation thread, while all the negative news will get posted outside of it, because all the fans of that platform are in the nation thread.

And that's not even the worst part about it...the absolute worst case scenario is where you have members/leaders of the nation thread actively encouraging fellow nation members to NOT post in the rest of the forum. This is the second step in segregating other members, and leads into the next point raised by Smeags segregation.

This is possibly one of the worst negatives of the nation threads. Non bias, non-aligned and new users will more than likely not post in the nation threads. The majority of posters who do not associate themselves with any particular brand, do not want to enter in a discussion where everybody shares almost the exact same viewpoints. I personally feel as if i fit into this category, even though im more a PS fan than anything else. But i've never actively posted in the the PSNation thread...or any other nation thread for that matter. Why would i post there when 90% of the people in the thread are all pretty much saying the same thing, i want to hear opinions and viepoints that are different from each other. And too often than not this is how the discussion goes in nation threads.

Also as a non-alligned user or even worse if you are alligned with a different nation thread. Goodluck raising your view in a nation thread. Say anything remotely controversial or against the flow and be prepared to either be ignored, reported, insulted or ganged up on. I've personally had this happen to me which ultimately led me to leave this site for a while. And lets be honest here, these threads by nature are not tolerant of negative view points. People are already calling them safe havens.

Lets also tackle the term safe haven. What exactly do we want to be safe from? Is it trolling and flaming or is it negative viewpoints that are different from your own. In my experience its a mix of both. Ultimately if any thread is posted in the forums, the community as whole needs to abide by the rules and moderators needs to enforce it. We need to get rid of this idea of a safe haven, the entire site needs to be a safe haven for all view points in any topic at any time. Anything less than that would encourage intolerance of differing view points. And if you feel that this is wrong then i believe as a community we need to make it clear that we WELCOME all view points. Its written in our rules!

That's the biggest issue i believe is with the nation threads, ultimately it leads to greater intolerance of different view points.

Recently we've also been seeing what I'd call a gang mentality on the site. Users protecting only their own, pushing their own agenda's onto others and all this carrying over into other threads which all add to creating a very toxic environment on the forums. Perhaps as a mod i am more prone to seeing this, through the various reported posts or even the words and sentiment used in reports itself. We see it all as mods and its not nice.

Also if we are trying to create safe havens...its not working. The general sentiment towards the rest of the site will still be bad by the people seeking this safe haven, as they now feel vindicated for the need of a safe haven. What does this lead to? Well we've already seen a number of breakaway sites from Vgchartz as a result. Vizioneck was one - and all the members who joined initially were from the PSNation thread. Yes i know Vizioneck would still be around regardless :P but the point still stands that there were many disgruntled members. Something similar seems to be in the works for the Xbox nation thread where we will again see a mass exodus of fans. Ultimately this has almost no impact on the Vgchartz forum, but the motivation should be to try and retain our users and not push them away.

I guess from all of that you can tell what i think needs to happen to Nation threads. But i actually believe their is a place for them in the community, where fans can discuss topics that are not thread worthy and do fun stuff like name a leader, have officers, create banners, have daily polls and games, and just general chatting and making friends.

That's great, but creating a mini forum in a thread is not. Segregating the rest of the community is not. Creating a us vs. them mentality is not. Being intolerant towards different opinions and views is not.

So as it stands now i feel the negatives far outweigh the positives. I'd suggest creating parameters around which the nation threads operate, or have a period where we lock them for while and then open them up later etc. but something needs to be done or it will further escalate.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Seece said:

It's not just an unpopular view Smeags but it's wrong. I don't look at PSnation and think of it as "anti" something, I see it as somewhere PS fans go and don't get bothered, and of course I think the same of Empire and Nintendomination.

As far as Empire goes, it's CREATED discussion, new users and discussions. Before Empire the Xbox community here was barebones. Remember that. We're not interested in threads which are littered with Sony and Nintendo fans trash talking (and vice versa for them I'm sure) Just look at the Order and the chaos that has created.

Also, a lot of threads on Xbox (no idea on how it goes for the other two) die fast.

There seems to be some jealousy by some people and mods about Empire, for some odd reason. This is why this thread exists, not because of nation threads, because of Empire.

There is a reason the smallest fanbase on this site has the biggest thread (and real discussion takes place that otherwise wouldn't.)

"The greater Microsoft forum should have as much to talk about as the other forums do... and they do. It's just that all the discussion takes place in the Xbox Empire, at the expense of the overall Microsoft Forum."

No, before Empire the MS discussion was still dead.

+1. 

Shinobi-san said:

Although i dont ever remember the hot topics for the forum not being on the home page of the site :? Maybe i am remembering incorrectly.

Starting off with the first point Smeags raised, in that the nation threads are redundant, i fully agree with this. Not only is it redundant but it's also a poor replacement for a forum. By design, a thread was never meant to be a forum. As d21lewis said, too often you see a lovely title on the hot topics, click on the thread and then never actually find the article and you never find the discussion around it. Its ridiculous. This makes the thread almost impossible to use for new users or for users who dont usually visit that thread. Where users who are constantly in the thread are following the discussion and articles posted in near real time. This is the first step in segregating other members and discouraging others to participate in the thread.

If you click on any other non nation thread you immediately read the OP which will have the relevant information as related to the title. And then all the discussion is around that topic in the following posts.

This leads to the second point Smeags raised, now that nation threads are becoming larger, first with the Vita thread, then the PSNation thread and now the Xbox thread. So much news articles get posted in these threads and don't get posted in the general forum. This further skews the perception of the site, in that all the positive news will get posted in the nation thread, while all the negative news will get posted outside of it, because all the fans of that platform are in the nation thread.

And that's not even the worst part about it...the absolute worst case scenario is where you have members/leaders of the nation thread actively encouraging fellow nation members to NOT post in the rest of the forum. This is the second step in segregating other members, and leads into the next point raised by Smeags segregation.

This is possibly one of the worst negatives of the nation threads. Non bias, non-aligned and new users will more than likely not post in the nation threads. The majority of posters who do not associate themselves with any particular brand, do not want to enter in a discussion where everybody shares almost the exact same viewpoints. I personally feel as if i fit into this category, even though im more a PS fan than anything else. But i've never actively posted in the the PSNation thread...or any other nation thread for that matter. Why would i post there when 90% of the people in the thread are all pretty much saying the same thing, i want to hear opinions and viepoints that are different from each other. And too often than not this is how the discussion goes in nation threads.

Also as a non-alligned user or even worse if you are alligned with a different nation thread. Goodluck raising your view in a nation thread. Say anything remotely controversial or against the flow and be prepared to either be ignored, reported, insulted or ganged up on. I've personally had this happen to me which ultimately led me to leave this site for a while. And lets be honest here, these threads by nature are not tolerant of negative view points. People are already calling them safe havens.

Lets also tackle the term safe haven. What exactly do we want to be safe from? Is it trolling and flaming or is it negative viewpoints that are different from your own. In my experience its a mix of both. Ultimately if any thread is posted in the forums, the community as whole needs to abide by the rules and moderators needs to enforce it. We need to get rid of this idea of a safe haven, the entire site needs to be a safe haven for all view points in any topic at any time. Anything less than that would encourage intolerance of differing view points. And if you feel that this is wrong then i believe as a community we need to make it clear that we WELCOME all view points. Its written in our rules!

That's the biggest issue i believe is with the nation threads, ultimately it leads to greater intolerance of different view points.

Recently we've also been seeing what I'd call a gang mentality on the site. Users protecting only their own, pushing their own agenda's onto others and all this carrying over into other threads which all add to creating a very toxic environment on the forums. Perhaps as a mod i am more prone to seeing this, through the various reported posts or even the words and sentiment used in reports itself. We see it all as mods and its not nice.

Also if we are trying to create safe havens...its not working. The general sentiment towards the rest of the site will still be bad by the people seeking this safe haven, as they now feel vindicated for the need of a safe haven. What does this lead to? Well we've already seen a number of breakaway sites from Vgchartz as a result. Vizioneck was one - and all the members who joined initially were from the PSNation thread. Yes i know Vizioneck would still be around regardless :P but the point still stands that there were many disgruntled members. Something similar seems to be in the works for the Xbox nation thread where we will again see a mass exodus of fans. Ultimately this has almost no impact on the Vgchartz forum, but the motivation should be to try and retain our users and not push them away.

I guess from all of that you can tell what i think needs to happen to Nation threads. But i actually believe their is a place for them in the community, where fans can discuss topics that are not thread worthy and do fun stuff like name a leader, have officers, create banners, have daily polls and games, and just general chatting and making friends.

That's great, but creating a mini forum in a thread is not. Segregating the rest of the community is not. Creating a us vs. them mentality is not. Being intolerant towards different opinions and views is not.

So as it stands now i feel the negatives far outweigh the positives. I'd suggest creating parameters around which the nation threads operate, or have a period where we lock them for while and then open them up later etc. but something needs to be done or it will further escalate.

This doesn't happen. This POV is from ignorance over what actually happens in Nation threads. Basically you want every thread to be a shitstorm is what you're saying. Because that's pretty much what every system exclusive orientated thread outside of nations is.

Some of us actually like to talk about our systems/games/news in peace not with a load of people trash talking. And no that doesn't mean we're oppose to different views, because we certainly get them (even from ourselves, I was dissing MS for having such a barebones Q1/Q2). It's not a big fanboy circle jerk where all the bad stuff that happens is swept under the rug, it's talked about honestly without agenda.

I love all these negatives people are coming up with tho, completely fabricated and some flat out untrue.

Like I said, you should remember what the xbox forums were like pre nation (and if you don't you have no place saying they should be closed in that case).

The community was dead and Empire brought it back.

That is a fact.

Seece said:
Shinobi-san said:

This doesn't happen. This POV is from ignorance over what actually happens in Nation threads. Basically you want every thread to be a shitstorm is what you're saying. Because that's pretty much what every system exclusive orientated thread outside of nations is.

Some of us actually like to talk about our systems/games/news in peace not with a load of people trash talking. And no that doesn't mean we're oppose to different views, because we certainly get them (even from ourselves, I was dissing MS for having such a barebones Q1/Q2). It's not a big fanboy circle jerk where all the bad stuff that happens is swept under the rug, it's talked about honestly without agenda.

I love all these negatives people are coming up with tho, completely fabricated and some flat out untrue.

Like I said, you should remember what the xbox forums were like pre nation (and if you don't you have no place saying they should be closed in that case).

That is a fact.

You couldnt be more wrong, because thats not what im saying at all.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Shinobi-san said:
Seece said:
Shinobi-san said:

That is a fact.

You couldnt be more wrong, because thats not what im saying at all.

It is tho, in essence. What you perhaps hope for would never happen, that's like asking for World peace.