By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Souls games shouldn't have an easy or normal mode

What do you think about the difficulty on the souls games

I like the challenge 61 69.32%

i hate it... 27 30.68%

Total:88

I hate the challenge in the Souls games, but I can accept that not every game is made for me. There's room in the industry for a game that is genuinely difficult, and if making it easy is as simple as changing something in the game's settings, it can't really be considered a difficult game.

The whole charm of the Souls games, as I see it, is that they pummel you into submission and force you to become good at the game or die trying. That choice is only worthwhile if those are the only two options.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
rolltide101x said:

Yes, because eventually the mechanics in the game will change. Just leave the series ALONE, it sells fine just the way it is. It is obvious the majority of the fans of the series do not want it to change (in fact we want it MORE DIFFICULT). So what you are suggesting is ignore what they say so it can be changed for what people who do not play the series want? 

i didnt say change the machanics, i said make an option for it to be a tad easier. 

The difficulty is a mechanic of the game. I do not want to chance anything ever screwing this series up.I am extremely excited for Bloodborne because it is kin to Demon's Souls in some way (Demon's Souls is the best in the series imo).

badgenome said:
I don't know about all that, but I do appreciate the fact that there are some games that focus on creating one particular indelible experience and that Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are such games. Selectable difficulty levels don't always fit the game's vision. Does Flappy Bird need an easy mode?

exactly what i am trying to say here.

JayWood2010 said:
i cant read the first page for some reason.

As for Dark Souls/Demon's Souls i love them but if id recommend anything it would be to make it hard. As in less cheap deaths, and more real difficulty

thats part of the reason why i liked Demons Souls more than Dark Souls, because there wasnt stuff like the archers of Anor Londo.

estebxx said:

archers of Anor Londo.

FUCK THOSE GUYS!

vivster said:
rolltide101x said:

Please explain to me how it would ruin the game when it is literally the same game + an optional new mode.

It doesn't fit the developers vision, what you get in the end is a completely different game. And that isn't fair to gamers.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network
Kantor said:
I hate the challenge in the Souls games, but I can accept that not every game is made for me. There's room in the industry for a game that is genuinely difficult, and if making it easy is as simple as changing something in the game's settings, it can't really be considered a difficult game.

The whole charm of the Souls games, as I see it, is that they pummel you into submission and force you to become good at the game or die trying. That choice is only worthwhile if those are the only two options.

This is the proper kind of post on the subject, if you do not like it move along, do not threatnen it for the rest of us. Everyone is not going to like every game

Options are never a bad thing.

RolStoppable said:

I think what would be even better is that the player should get charged $5 for every time he has to start over, so only the first character would be a part of the $60 price tag of the game. This would encourage players to really learn how to play the game and make it all the more satisfying when they can beat it.

$5? You're not really starting over if you don't have to buy the whole game again every time you die, you filthy casual pissbaby.

KLAMarine said:
Options are never a bad thing.

You think it is ok to change a series in a pretty dramatic way even though the vast majority of its fans would be against it? The exact opposite thing is what brought us to the series in the first place.

RolStoppable said:

I think what would be even better is that the player should get charged $5 for every time he has to start over, so only the first character would be a part of the $60 price tag of the game. This would encourage players to really learn how to play the game and make it all the more satisfying when they can beat it.

gonna need a lot of money to beat the game then XD.