By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Souls games shouldn't have an easy or normal mode

What do you think about the difficulty on the souls games

I like the challenge 61 69.32%

i hate it... 27 30.68%

Total:88
rolltide101x said:
bananaking21 said:
there should be a normal and easy mode. the normal mode is simply the same way it is. the easy mode should just be a bit easier for those who dont like the frustration in games for the sake of frustration.

Yes, lets ruin the whole point of a franchise to bring in the casuals..... Because games that try to cater to casuals are always the best games. right? :)

what difference does it make if they add an easy mode that is slighty easier?.  is your experience going to be any different if there is an easy option? 

Around the Network

It's not just about the challange and overcoming it, it's also about how the game works. The fact you're constantly facing death gives you a reason to explore for secrets, use your items at best, find beast strategy to stay alive. It's a bit like limited resources in survival games, when you have infinite bullets in a Resident Evil game it's not a survival anymore, it's an action game.
Lowering the difficulty bar in DS would just cripple it.

bananaking21 said:
rolltide101x said:

Yes, lets ruin the whole point of a franchise to bring in the casuals..... Because games that try to cater to casuals are always the best games. right? :)

what difference does it make if they add an easy mode that is slighty easier?.  is your experience going to be any different if there is an easy option? 

Yes, because eventually the mechanics in the game will change. Just leave the series ALONE, it sells fine just the way it is. It is obvious the majority of the fans of the series do not want it to change (in fact we want it MORE DIFFICULT). So what you are suggesting is ignore what they say so it can be changed for what people who do not play the series? 

I don't know about all that, but I do appreciate the fact that there are some games that focus on creating one particular indelible experience and that Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are such games. Selectable difficulty levels don't always fit the game's vision. Does Flappy Bird need an easy mode?

i cant read the first page for some reason.

As for Dark Souls/Demon's Souls i love them but if id recommend anything it would be to make it hard. As in less cheap deaths, and more real difficulty

Around the Network

I am pretty sure that From Software never had an easy mode as a part of their vision so in this case it's justified. If people can't accept the vision from these developers then they should go play other games.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

rolltide101x said:
vivster said:
Since when do optional additions to a game take something away from it? And who declares what the core concept is of the game?
That's like forbidding anyone to an arts museum who does not have a university degree in fine arts.

You know what the real reason is why people don't want the game to be easy? Because they're afraid that their epeen will shrink as soon as someone not as awesome as them finishes the game.
An easy mode will not hurt the game, only the people who built up a reputation on beating it.

There is plenty of difficulty in games today. The challenge is there for anyone who seeks it.

An easy mode would 100% ruin a Souls game. But I do think they should make a 100% new franchise with a similar formula that will cater to casuals. But like I said in another post Souls really is not that hard to begin with.

They should call the new franchise Sissy Souls

Please explain to me how it would ruin the game when it is literally the same game + an optional new mode.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

RolStoppable said:
Souls games should only be available in permanent death modes. Once you die, all of your progress gets wiped out and you will have to start all over from scratch again.

I am sick of casuals ruining games for us.

so like the hardest difficulty on XCOM?, that would be a really nice challenge actually XD.

rolltide101x said:
bananaking21 said:

Yes, because eventually the mechanics in the game will change. Just leave the series ALONE, it sells fine just the way it is. It is obvious the majority of the fans of the series do not want it to change (in fact we want it MORE DIFFICULT). So what you are suggesting is ignore what they say so it can be changed for what people who do not play the series want? 

i didnt say change the machanics, i said make an option for it to be a tad easier. 

vivster said:

Please explain to me how it would ruin the game.

Lets say they make an easy mode and lets say its a big success and brings in a lot of causal gamers.

Now it is time to make a sequel, they will start saying "oh, that trap really wont work well in easy mode so lets do something different". Things of that nature. The fans of the series do not want the game touched. Luckily it is a Japanese game so there is no chance of them making it more casual :)