By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why Sony should stop pushing developers for 1080p games.

What do you think about this thread...

I agree with most (or all) of it. 49 25.00%

BOO!!! XBOT FANBOY ALERT!!! 110 56.12%

See results. 37 18.88%

Total:196
walsufnir said:

"Why support? Idiots already bought it, hahaha!" Please stop, really. This is sad on so many levels, it's disgusting as a customer and gamer.

Poems are usually quite revealing, let me try.

In the clouds above
The small bird flies

Where's it going?
Anyone know why?
Something so small

Entered that sky
And continues to fly

Enlightening, right?

Around the Network
Tachikoma said:
walsufnir said:

"Why support? Idiots already bought it, hahaha!" Please stop, really. This is sad on so many levels, it's disgusting as a customer and gamer.

Poems are usually quite revealing, let me try.

In the clouds above
The small bird flies

Where's it going?
Anyone know why?
Something so small

Entered that sky
And continues to fly

Enlightening, right?

I want to believe in the butterfly effect ... But your posts seem to remove any hope. But keep up the good work.

Tachikoma said:
Sweep said:

Tachikoma, can you explain what the P2RLA acronym means ?

If i was allowed to I would have done so by now :(

How Ok ! Sorry for the inconvenience than

Haha stop pushing?! If it were up to me I would MANDATE that every game be in 1080p. The PS4 has an R9 270, and that thing can run ANY game in 1080p. Maybe at low settings in crappy games like AC Unity, but low in 1080p looks far better than medium in 900p.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Eddie_Raja said:
Haha stop pushing?! If it were up to me I would MANDATE that every game be in 1080p. The PS4 has an R9 270, and that thing can run ANY game in 1080p. Maybe at low settings in crappy games like AC Unity, but low in 1080p looks far better than medium in 900p.

Can't even tell if serious...

Around the Network
Tachikoma said:
Sweep said:

Tachikoma, can you explain what the P2RLA acronym means ?

If i was allowed to I would have done so by now :(

It has to be something top secret. It doesn't come up on Google.

curl-6 said:

Unfortunately the 1080p marketing buzz seems to have come full circle to bite itself on the arse.

It was so effective in convincing gamers that a game is worthless if it's isn't 1080p, that it seems devs will make unnecessary sacrifices just to hit the magic 1920x1080.

But the reality is most consumers don't care about 1080p or know if they're looking at it.

I doubt its a significant number of people buying games on pixel count, certainly not on home consoles. When Sony really wants to push graphics they will sacrifice resolution. The Order for example is not 1080p primarily for visual polish. But maybe they'll keep making games in letterbox, its clear people love that.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I think they should push them to make 60fps.

1080p to 900p is not very noticeable but 30 to 60fps is a huge difference. The 60 fps is the definitive version no questions asked. Not getting it would be gimping your game.

TBH Sony should force developers to make 60 fps (or 30 in case of games that do NOT have fast gameplay like shooters/racers have. Turn based rgps can have 25fps I would not mind.)

Everything else like a rock having twice as many polygons as the same rock in the last installment of the same series is nonsense. Looks bad anyway and will look even worse in 2 years so dont focus on that.

I want fast fluid games clear sharp images. I dont want blury stuttering with focus on realism.
If you have good looking art style that kinda nulifies e.g 720p then go for it.

For me its
Sufficient framerate for the type of game it is (the faster the game the higher the fps should be) clean looking visuals and far behind something like polycount. As long as the textures are great (does not need to be high res just needs to fit the game and make sense in the game world. Games where 50% of the textures look great and the other 50% look like PS2 textures are just ugly)

Tachikoma said:

...all sorts of stuff...

can we be besties?  at the very least can you post here more often?     ...dear god is this kind of talk a breath of fresh air here. 

thank you thank you thank you.