By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why Sony should stop pushing developers for 1080p games.

What do you think about this thread...

I agree with most (or all) of it. 49 25.00%

BOO!!! XBOT FANBOY ALERT!!! 110 56.12%

See results. 37 18.88%

Total:196
Tachikoma said:
walsufnir said:

That's what I got from when DX12 was announced in the beginning. It won't offer new things in graphics (well, perhaps tile-based rendering on esram is now "easier") but perhaps might solve congestion issues in the whole process to bring a picture to screen.

Sadly, what most people don't seem to understand is that DX12 is really intended for PC, the update to Xbox One's SDK to add in support does very little.

people seem to have it in their heads that DX12 on XBO is going to pull it up to PS4 quality, when the only reason it will make such a difference on PC is to remove much of the obfuscation between hardware and software that exists on PC, but doesn't on consoles.

Also, tiles gets way too much hype.

I don't see many people hyping tiles in any way but I always thought the idea is interesting, ever since PowerVR tried it on PC. And there aren't really that much people who think the power difference between PS4 and Xbone will disappear, at least not on this forum and by now also not on neogaf. That said I guess many games will be released where differences won't matter that much despite they are technically there but this is topic for console wars stuff and not for technically interested people.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:

I don't see many people hyping tiles in any way but I always thought the idea is interesting, ever since PowerVR tried it on PC. And there aren't really that much people who think the power difference between PS4 and Xbone will disappear, at least not on this forum and by now also not on neogaf. That said I guess many games will be released where differences won't matter that much despite they are technically there but this is topic for console wars stuff and not for technically interested people.

That's the thing, i frequent many forums (though i only use this username here), and the claims from people (generally just clueless gamers trying to score bragging points) is outlandish shit like "ps4 could be so much better if xbox one wasnt holding it back" or "tiled resources / cloud / kineck removal will make xbo as fast as ps4" and so on, rediculous shit from both sides.

Truth of the matter is theyre both chronicly underpowered, the xbox one more so, but we've known that since day one, and were thankfully at a point where both sides go so tired of discussing it its just taken as a given - we do still get the fair share of "game y runs x res on ps4, z on xbox one looool" or "game y has better z on console x" and so on.

They both suck, but hardware sucking doesnt mean games will suck too, a shit system can still have an amazing game, but thats just meandering super far away from the point into my own mini rant.

my point is, threads like this spread misinformation and that misunformation goes on to spawn more nonsense arguments and breeds in turn, more misinformation and bullshit.

Sony aren't pushing developers for 1080p, Microsoft aren't paying off developers whos games have slightly less impressive things on ps4 (filtering, etc), and the resolution debate as far as the manufacturers are concerned if of no real significance, other than to sporadically be used in marketing to assist sales - microsoft and sony dont care if a game ships at 720p or 1080p, if the games good it will sell, if its 1080p, its just another bulletpoint on their advertising.

And while im in a ranty mood, why does sliced bread have to have the heel pieces taken out in packs of sliced bread in japan, in every other country ive been to they leave the heels in and theyre my favorite slice, what the fuck japan, leave them in im not a baby that wants the crusts removed.

Sigh, sorry, went off on a rant.

1080P? 4K is the future!!! :p

tiffac said:

I will be a party pooper and say this.

The next generation of consoles wont hit true 4k so you may as well give up on that dream till generation 10.
If I had to guess, I would say generation 9 will be the one where we get 60fps 1080p / 120fps 720p

Tachikoma said:
walsufnir said:

That's the thing, i frequent many forums (though i only use this username here), and the claims from people (generally just clueless gamers trying to score bragging points) is outlandish shit like "ps4 could be so much better if xbox one wasnt holding it back" or "tiled resources / cloud / kineck removal will make xbo as fast as ps4" and so on, rediculous shit from both sides.

Truth of the matter is theyre both chronicly underpowered, the xbox one more so, but we've known that since day one, and were thankfully at a point where both sides go so tired of discussing it its just taken as a given - we do still get the fair share of "game y runs x res on ps4, z on xbox one looool" or "game y has better z on console x" and so on.

They both suck, but hardware sucking doesnt mean games will suck too, a shit system can still have an amazing game, but thats just meandering super far away from the point into my own mini rant.

my point is, threads like this spread misinformation and that misunformation goes on to spawn more nonsense arguments and breeds in turn, more misinformation and bullshit.

Sony aren't pushing developers for 1080p, Microsoft aren't paying off developers whos games have slightly less impressive things on ps4 (filtering, etc), and the resolution debate as far as the manufacturers are concerned if of no real significance, other than to sporadically be used in marketing to assist sales - microsoft and sony dont care if a game ships at 720p or 1080p, if the games good it will sell, if its 1080p, its just another bulletpoint on their advertising.

And while im in a ranty mood, why does sliced bread have to have the heel pieces taken out in packs of sliced bread in japan, in every other country ive been to they leave the heels in and theyre my favorite slice, what the fuck japan, leave them in im not a baby that wants the crusts removed.

Sigh, sorry, went off on a rant.

Yeah, seeing these things over and over again can get you tired while others still argue, of course. I am not in the mood to discuss anymore as it is mostly of no use.

If it turns out to be interesting like this talk, I gladly be part of it. Or the talk about the leaked XDK which showed us how unbelievably bad the XDK was in the beginning and how much effort MS had to make to bring it to a competitive state was also very interesting but in the end we play games and not SDKs.

Do I expect graphically good games? Yes. Do I expect overwhelming games? Yes. I am console only gamer (besides some emulation stuff on PC which is somehow still console gaming) so in the end I will get better graphics than I have currently. Hopefully games also deliver on gameplay and not only graphics and perhaps I will enter the current-gen. But I don't see it before this year's holidays.

Around the Network
Tachikoma said:
tiffac said:

The next generation of consoles wont hit true 4k so you may as well give up on that dream till generation 10.
If I had to guess, I would say generation 9 will be the one where we get 60fps 1080p / 120fps 720p

Its still the future then. lol! XD

tiffac said:
Tachikoma said:

Its still the future then. lol! XD

They will do 4k when 8k is going to be sold on TVs. But the more pixels you have, the better for the upscaling

Maybe Sony should stop releasing weak ass consoles to constrict developer's creative freedom in the first place.
But cheap is sexy, am I right?

Next gen just can't come soon enough.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Tachikoma said:
walsufnir said:

I don't know if what they are expecting for DX12, seems too much. But it would be interesting why the gap between "now" and console launch is there - sdk improvements or work on engine to match to either console.

For both, SDK updates, for the XBO, additional performance gained from removing kinect reserve, P2RLA is expected to give a similar boost to performance as the kinect removal but ith more of a focus on bandwidth allocation rather than sub-ycle management.

It's a graph made from performance logger results from the base engine at the company I now work, running across multiple platforms - the only difference between the results is the console updates and SDK advancements, the testing engine remains the same across all.

Tachikoma, can you explain what the P2RLA acronym means ?

walsufnir said:

Yeah, seeing these things over and over again can get you tired while others still argue, of course. I am not in the mood to discuss anymore as it is mostly of no use.

If it turns out to be interesting like this talk, I gladly be part of it. Or the talk about the leaked XDK which showed us how unbelievably bad the XDK was in the beginning and how much effort MS had to make to bring it to a competitive state was also very interesting but in the end we play games and not SDKs.

Do I expect graphically good games? Yes. Do I expect overwhelming games? Yes. I am console only gamer (besides some emulation stuff on PC which is somehow still console gaming) so in the end I will get better graphics than I have currently. Hopefully games also deliver on gameplay and not only graphics and perhaps I will enter the current-gen. But I don't see it before this year's holidays.

The issue I have isn't so much the games themselves, while graphically not mind blowing, theyre still pretty much all better than the predecessors consoles graphical quality, im actually quite happy with the graphical quality curve of games this gen, what Im pissed off with however, is how rushed everyone seems to be to release their game, to a point where it comes out and theres very little content, or there is content but its broken and the player is made to feel like they paid full price for a disk based beta.

On keeping with that latter reason, the nonchalant attitude developers are conditioned to have towards issues after a title goes gold is irritating too, Ive been in environments where there has been active bug listings in the tracker that need to be addressed, or notes on performance issues and/or broken effect pipelines / mismanaged build trunks, but knowing these situations existed a game has still been pushed to gold regardless, with the attitude that they can be addressed and fixed in between gold and launch, which is frighteningly common now, so common it even has its own fucking name "day one patch", aka, we were not ready and probably still arent, but cant delay it any longer.

Conversely the shitty attitudes people have towards games that do take the time to delay development has an adverse effect on how publishers perceive time constraints, too - a publisher would rather release a game that they know needs patches, and get it on store shelves than go through the rollercoaster of handling pr / shipping schedules / stock etc of delaying until it is ready - so we end up in situations where to fill a conference, games are announced that have no business being announced because they just arent ready - driveclub for example, the day it released should have been the day it was announced, then maybe later this year the PS4 would be getting an excellent, expansive content filled racer, but as we all know, that isnt happening.

The far end of that extreme is The Last Guardian, they know it wasnt ready for reveal but were pressured to reveal to fill a hole in the heavy-hitters gap for the ps3, and now were in a situation where people talk about it as if its vaporware.

Gamers are impatient, but so are publishers, they should be announcing games to gamers when theyre almost ready to ship, not when half of the game is still sat on the cutting room floor, because all that happens is the publisher says "we want it by xxxx" and then the team developing it have to cut out the shit they wanted to include, but cant because they just dont have the manpower or time to get it done by said date.

I honestly feel like gaming as a whole is set for another crash in the next 5-7 years, studios are closing left and right and the ones that are left get fucking reamed by gamers for shipping games that could have been much better if the studios werent given retarded deadlines.