By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do Nintendo game prices never fall?

mZuzek said:
Bofferbrauer said:

Want a better example? Just check the charts, you'll find Mario Kart Wii, still charting practically every single week despite being an 8 year old game on a previous gen console.

Really, Nintendo games are way less frontloaded than any other games, so there is no reason to slash the price in half after merely a few weeks to keep the momentum going, they just keep selling over the course of an entire generation, and some games even 2 generations when backwards compatible.

I don't think MKWii's sales come from backwards compatibility at all, which is a bit sad actually.

I do know a few guys who did buy it for their Wii U, so I assume at least a part of the sales comes from Wii U owners. How big their part is in the sales is however a unknown quantity, that's sure.

Around the Network

Because they are good and sell at full price.

nintendo does not care about its fans only about profit.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

I was gonna post some process that had dropped like 3D World but then I saw that the prices had gone back up! Also, New Super Luigi has gone from $30 to $65 on amazon! I was gonna open mine for the club Nintendo code but I think I'm just gonna keep it sealed!

Nintendo games that don't sell well do drop in price. Sometimes, rather quickly. The thing is, they also become sought after so that game you wanted for $30 may just jump up to full retail process or even higher after a while. Wario, Kirby, etc. the second tier titles--they drop fast. The big titles are the one that every body but a Nintendo console for. They sell as long as the consoles sell so they tend to retain their value.

There are a lot of answers in this thread, but what I would like to know is how Nintendo controls the retailers price. During their "monopoly" in the NES/SNES days, and in the Wiis heydays, they probably could exert a great deal of influence over the retailers.
But in these days when some stores even choose to not have Nintendo on their shelves how can they hinder the shop-owner of getting rid of his small stock of Wii U games buy lowering the price. The shop-owner has already payed for the physical copy, I guess, so he could sell it at a loss if he wants more profitable merchandise replaceing the slow selling Nintendo games.
So, again, my question is: how are Nintendo able to control the price at every retailer? What methods are the using to keep the price high even if it means the shop owner has to reserve a lot of shelf-space during a long time-frame with a very slow income.

Around the Network

loool at people saying legs and quality.

Yes Mario has ever green legs and Nintendo titles aren't as front loaded as other publishers but generally Nintendo maintain their price regardless of sales. Why is Pikmin, donkey kong, windwaker HD, Wonderful 101 etc more expensive then GTA 5 (360), when the later game continues to outsell them?

Clearly Nintendo think its more beneficial to maintain profit margins versus increasing sales with much lower margins profit margins. The only Nintendo games where price cuts would have very little to no effect is mainline Mario, Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8. It works for them no doubt, but it would nice to be able to find more bargains of 2 year old software without going 2nd hand.

supply and demand. Simple as that. If you go to a lot of used game stores youll usually find a low quanity of used Nintendo games. Demand usually stays pretty high in relation to the amount of games manufactured.

I3LuEI3omI3eR said:

Because they are 100% playable from DAY 1... Not 6 months from now with extensive patching.

Pokemon X and Y had multiple patches after launch, one of which was a bug that deleted save data.

-

OT.  The difference between Nintendo and the other publishers is not legs, it's greed.  Back on the PSX and PS2, many first and third party games sold incredibly well yet were still offered on the Greatest Hits budget line for $20 - $30.  Microsoft had their Platinum Hits line with the Halo series and other games being sold at budget pricing despite the high sales. 

There are games that just completely bomb that Nintendo drops the price, because why sit on 100,000 copies of a game that just people don't want?  How long was Glory of Heracles being sold $5 new before it actually sold out? 

What Nintendo does with their games that sell a reasonable amount but then stops selling, they don't drop the price and print more to get as many sales as possible.  Nintendo quits printing copies.  They'd rather not make anything at all than sell their games at a lower price.  Basically "Get N or go F yourself."  That's their real slogan.

Its due to the fact that they have extremely insane legs, and that their first party games hardly get traded in. Games normally go down in price when there is a large quantity of said game traded in.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

In all honesty, used games' prices are a better indicator how well a game is doing. If it stays up there after a game has been out for a while, then the game is selling well compared to other games on the same console. Also if a game is being traded in a lot in a short span of time then it's used game price will probably drop quickly.

Both The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze have high used game prices. They are also ranked 8th and 9th on vgchartz.

Here's some other games for comparison. The Last of Us remastered is ranked 8th on vgchartz and priced similarly on GS.

Forza Motorsport 5 is ranked 8th on vgchartz and here is it's price on GS.

All of these games are $50 new on GS.