By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sad about Sega. The end of Servive Games.

Well, in reality, Sega is not ending, but it is ending it's greatest era. It's changing and devolving into an inferior mobile/PC game maker. No more console games. They are abandoning what really put them on the map. In the process, they have let go three hundred of their employees along with what once made them great.

I was with Sega from the Sega Master System, in the nineteen eighties, all the way through the Sega Dreamcast era, their last console. I owned every single Sega home console. I especially am fond of the Sega Genesis. It is my favorite console ever; part of the golden age of gaming--the fourth generation. Before I was a Sony fan, Sega was my home for gaming. Even after the Dreamcast, however, I continued buying Sega games for other consoles. Service Games made me the gamer I am today, and I am sad.

Through terrible bouts of social anxiety and panic disorder, Sega was like a friend to me. Sega Games got me through hard days, and nights, and months, and years. The games excited me, comforted me, touched my heart, and challenged me.

It has been weeks since I learned of Sega's horrible plans. For some reason it seems to have just hit me hard today. I have realized there will never be another true Phantasy Star--my favorite game of all time is the original Phantasy Star on the Master System--never another Shining Force, Golden Axe, Shinobi, Virtua Fighter, Sonic the Hedgehog, Alex Kidd, Space Harrier, Govellius, Guardian Heroes, Skies of Arcadia, etc. I had some hope, but now it's gone. The Sega I know is in the past.

I will be posting here on Sega games for awhile in memory of a great game maker. I hope you will like my future posts. Thanks for reading.

~gamemaster~

Around the Network

Goodbye, old friend

What upsets me most about SEGA's downfall is that they will most likely not sell their IPs. They will hold onto every single one of their properties and not a single game will be made out of them. And that is a shame.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

It really saddens me that Skies of Arcadia never got an HD remake.

Phantasy Star Online 4 Life! Literally my gaming life between 2001-2004... The first TRUE MMO...

Don't forget Valkyria Chronicles! Seventh Generation classics!

Sad that with this news goes the very little chance we had for Shenmue 3... :-/

Around the Network

I am working hard at home at the moment getting my MegaDrive to work properly. The only Sega console I never owned was the Game Gear and Sega Saturn is probably my favorite console (or maybe Dreamcast). No other developer will ever come close in terms of creating these amazing arcade experiences, coupled with fascinating new game ideas. I just wish MS would have made them a 1st party developer and started co-creating consoles with them.

Wow, I was actually thinking of doing a thread to talk about users` favorite Sega games/IPs, though looks like you may be covering that. ; ) It does make me sad to see Sega potentially going away, since I`ve loved some of their games, like Sonic games before the end of the DC, NiGHTS, Skies of Arcadia, Golden Axe, and other games. I`m looking forward to your Sega posts in the near future.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Skullwaker said:
What upsets me most about SEGA's downfall is that they will most likely not sell their IPs. They will hold onto every single one of their properties and not a single game will be made out of them. And that is a shame.

Sega really has no great IPs anymore though. Total War is seriously about the only SEGA IP most would consider great in the last 10 years. With that said Total War is amazing.... I do not know if it is actually an SEGA IP though, I know Creative Assembly develops it.

rolltide101x said:
Skullwaker said:

Sega really has no great IPs anymore though. Total War is seriously about the only SEGA IP most would consider great in the last 10 years. With that said Total War is amazing.... I do not know if it is actually an SEGA IP though, I know Creative Assembly develops it.

Having a great IP doesn't mean that it's being used currently or being utilized well. SEGA has a ton of IPs that are just sitting in a closet (Shenmue) or are being completely abused (Sonic). They also have the Alien series, Crazy Taxi, Super Monkey Ball, Phantasy Star, Valkyria Chronicles, Bayonetta, Yakuza, etc. All great IPs, but so many of them have been ignored and/or treated poorly.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Skullwaker said:
rolltide101x said:

Having a great IP doesn't mean that it's being used currently or being utilized well. SEGA has a ton of IPs that are just sitting in a closet (Shenmue) or are being completely abused (Sonic). They also have the Alien series, Crazy Taxi, Super Monkey Ball, Phantasy Star, Valkyria Chronicles, Bayonetta, Yakuza, etc. All great IPs, but so many of them have been ignored and/or treated poorly.

All of those old IPs would have to be completely rebooted. Most of them would lie dormat even if they went on the market. Yakuza, and Bayonetta are the only ones I think would continue past SEGA (and Alien)

Sadly Sega just has not made good games in a while, I do not understand why to be honest :/  I miss the Sega of old. For a long time i would say "SEGA! This game is going to be good!" now it is "SEGA.... I better not get to excited for this one...."