By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The state of game manuals today.

Hiku said:

Which has lead to more and more in-game tutorials...Blah blah.

Nope. No it hasn't. Stupid design decisions lead to more in-game tutorials. I don't need a Sequilitus video to tell me that, and you shouldn't either. It has nothing to do with the disappearence of physical manuals, and that's definitely not what Arin was trying to say in that video.

Around the Network
Hiku said:

Without a manual, games are forced to have in game manuals, or online manuals. The former is much much more common.

...Why would anyone prefer a paper manuel to one that's in the game? Look, we all get that some button inputs are too complicated to leave the player to just stumble apon through experimentation, but this idea that a physical booklet is the best way to go about telling the player what does what is completely wrong.

You know what Smash does? It has an entirely optional place in the menu with all the controls laid out for you, and a screen to test everything out. If you already know the controls, and most Smash players do, it's entirely ignorable. That is automatically better than a paper manuel. Just because a bunch of games have been doing it wrong doesn't mean that paper manuels are doing it right.

Yeah, it's a damn shame. I love giving a read to manuals before actually starting the game. I think one of the best examples of this constant downgrade is Demon's Souls having a well crafted, excellent color manual with a lot of what you need to know about the game with pictures and info while Dark Souls had a black and white manual with 5 pages saying the absolute basics about the controls and 20 more pages of the same thing in different languages.

Such a shame.

I only miss the smell.

Hiku said:
spemanig said:
There are no game manuals because there's no need for them anymore. I say good riddance.

Which has lead to more and more in-game tutorials that many times are painfully intrucive, and poorly excecuted.
Here's a great video that shows how they're supposed to be done. Seemlessly, without handholding.

so true! f*ck mainstreamers!

Around the Network

I miss them. They might have been useless, but i loved the feel of the weight on my gameboxes.

You can put the manual in the game now.

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

I miss them, but at the same time they were pretty pointless.

Hiku said:

Hmmm? I didn't suggest that the booklet form manual would be the best way to explain a game. Just that booklets won't impose on the gameplay experience, which in game tutorials have a risk of doing. What I like about booklets is that I get the same satisfaction of owining it as I do when I buy a physical copy of a game with a nice cover. I read most of my books today digitally or through mps3s. But if I really like a book, I'll buy it. It's just something you want to have the option of doing. I'm sure everyone can relate to that feeling in some way or form.

For example, I really want the physical version of this:

Tutorials aren't even part of the discussion. Even games with manuels have tutorials. Manuels didn't somehow stop tutorials from happening. Manuels have absolutely nothing to do with, and have no connection to, in game tutorials.

Again, separate out-of-game manuels, whether physical or digital, are antiquated. They're out dated. There are better ways now and there were frankly better ways since the SNES. For teaching the players what buttons do what, just put it in the options menu under "Controls" and have an optional separate 'dummy' room for them to test everything out if they feel they need the practice. Like Smash does.

If you want something physical, buy an art book.

I totally agree. I just got Dragon Age: Inquisition, opened it up and literally the only thing in it was the disc. WTF?