By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 outsold by PS3 this January in the US.

RolStoppable said:
arcane_chaos said:

correct me if I'm wrong or misunderstood

The PS3 launched in November 2006. Therefore the logical conclusion is doom and the OP is right.

opp my mistake correcting post

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:

Peaks/troughs/peaks/troughs/peaks/troughs ...

If one or the other doesn't aligned perfectly with last gen it's either Doom or Excitement.

This needs to stop.

Agree 100%.  PS4 is greatly ahead of the PS3 in the US and WW, but just cause it sales are lower for one month, in one region, DOOMZ!! 

There are plenty of reasons why this is, anyway.  The PS3 had just received a pricecut a few months prior to its first acceptable price ($399) since launch, so it was still riding that wave.  Hell, it even beat the 360 that month, Feb, and May-July, while coming damn close to its sales for the other months.  This is when MS had another firesale so they wouldn't lose the US, and dropped an Arcade model that sold for $199, which dropped the entry price to $200 cheaper than the PS3, again.

The PS4, on the other hand, hasn't had a price cut since launch.  If it had, I highly doubt it would have sold less than the PS3.  Probably around the same, maybe more.  It also has two big exclusives coming out in the next two months, so I'm sure people are waiting for bundles (hoping for a free copy of the game) for those games before purchasing.

I think the only one who truly has to worry is MS (Well, and Nintendo, but that goes without saying.)  The price was $349, with two free games, yet it was still outsold by the PS4, as well as by the OG Xbox for the same month in its lifetime.

thismeintiel said:
GribbleGrunger said:

If one or the other doesn't aligned perfectly with last gen it's either Doom or Excitement.

This needs to stop.

Agree 100%.  PS4 is greatly ahead of the PS3 in the US and WW, but just cause it sales are lower for one month, in one region, DOOMZ!! 

There are plenty of reasons why this is, anyway.  The PS3 had just received a pricecut a few months prior to its first acceptable price ($399) since launch, so it was still riding that wave.  Hell, it even beat the 360 that month, Feb, and May-July, while coming damn close to its sales for the other months.  This is when MS had another firesale so they wouldn't lose the US, and dropped an Arcade model that sold for $199, which dropped the entry price to $200 cheaper than the PS3, again.

The PS4, on the other hand, hasn't had a price cut since launch.  If it had, I highly doubt it would have sold less than the PS3.  Probably around the same, maybe more.  It also has two big exclusives coming out in the next two months, so I'm sure people are waiting for bundles (hoping for a free copy of the game) for those games before purchasing.

I think the only one who truly has to worry is MS (Well, and Nintendo, but that goes without saying.)  The price was $349, with two free games, yet it was still outsold by the PS4, as well as by the OG Xbox for the same month in its lifetime.

Guyz, this is a joke thread!

I just think that is funny as PS4 that have sold x2 PS3 is now below it by 30%.

PS4 is still the winner of this jeneration with +100M assicurate.

Ryng_Tolu said:
thismeintiel said:
GribbleGrunger said:

This needs to stop.

Whatever, you Xbot. 

And I realize you're be joking, now.  Cause you misspelled generation. 

thismeintiel said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

Whatever, you Xbot. 

I still think the result of Jenuary NPD and i have write "Generation" with the J of Jenuary!

Oh, and i prefer the Wiiz.

Around the Network
jlmurph2 said:
Kerotan said:

It's fascinating reading that thread. The war of words between "the cube crowd " and "xbox enthusiasts " is hilarious.  I thought fanboy wars started with the ps3, 360 and wii.

I recommend you all take a look. 

How? Did you not ever see Nintendo kids vs Sega kids?

Obviously not considering what I just said.  I wish I did though. 

vfguy said:
I bought my first PS3 around January/February 2008 and I received $100 off for using a Sony card at the Sony store, as well as a mail-in offer for like five free blu-rays, and the free Blu-ray remote, all for $299 (Plus 5% back in Sony points!)! From $599 to less than $299 in 14 months!

Those who think the Xbox One sales around the holidays were fire sales should take a look at that time in the PS3's life.

I can also imagine that there was an influx of former HD-DVD owners switching to Blu-Ray around this time as that format folded then (apparently this was in February of 2008 according to Wikipedia).

This is not to say that the numbers for the current consoles aren't kind of dire beyond the cumulative ones.

They were both firesales. 

Ryng_Tolu said:
thismeintiel said:

Whatever, you Xbot. 

I still think the result of Jenuary NPD and i have write "Generation" with the J of Jenuary!

Oh, and i prefer the Wiiz.

Lol, when I look at our qoute tree, all I see are a bunch of smiley faces.

It just means that PS4 is more loaded towards the holiday season. But, one month under the 599 US dollurz console is surprising, it obviously means doomed. Prepare for Uncharted on iPhone and The Last of Us 2: The Last of Them on Android.

forethought14 said:
It just means that PS4 is more loaded towards the holiday season. But, one month under the 599 US dollurz console is surprising, it obviously means doomed. Prepare for Uncharted on iPhone and The Last of Us 2: The Last of Them on Android.

To be fair, though, the PS3 was $399 by that point.  A price many saw as finally being reasonable.