By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will the Wii not win combined worldwide sales for the month?

vanguardian1 said:
auroragb said:
I can imagine that PS3 or 360 winning November or December because there is not enough Wii stock to satisfy demand while stock for the other consoles are plentiful. Kind of like how MS won Dec 2006

And then in January we'll be back to business as usual with Nintendominance. ^_^

There is no guarantee what will happen in 8 months, for all we know, the tables could turn and iether the PS3 or 360 could take off while demand for the wii cools down.  It's not guaranteed, but weird things have happened in the past.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Around the Network

The end of this year is definitely a wild card for everyone. With huge game releases and a plentiful supply of all three system, Holiday 2007 will be one of the most important periods during this console generation for all three companies. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony or MS eek out a month with the Wii right behind them.

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

Dec is the best guess, but I still think the Wii will come out ahead. The PS3 won't win Dec - I think we can all accept that. At best, the 360 will do 3m units (wildly optimistic I think) worldwide in Dec. I think it did about 1.6-2.0m last year (with GoW, and little competition from sold out Wii/PS3 stocks). I think the Wii will easily do 1.2m in US, 800k in Europe, and about 1m in Japan - also giving it 3m. And those numbers are more conservative. Unless the 360 can pick up sales in Japan, it will not be able to threaten the Wii monthly anytime soon (the Wii has sold more in Japan, than the 360 has in the US by about 2:1 last month).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

jjseth said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

jjseth said:
There is a possibility that they could lose a month or two later this year when some heavy hitter games come out for other systems and if Nintendo can actually start churning out machines to fill demand. Either way, their huge lead in systems sold will become quite narrow towards the end of this year and continue on for a while as the PS3 and 360 bring out some hot games that won't be seen on the Wii.

Nope, most of the public doesn't care about those games

Just because you don't care doesn't mean others don't care.  I'm sure that Halo 3 will have great sales as will GTA 4.  Those games were huge sellers in the past and will continue again in being a huge sales machine.  Not everyone is wetting their pants waiting for the 20th title of the year with the name "Mario" in it either.

I'm not saying they won't have sales, but they won't affect Wii sales either, Wii appeasl to a much larger group

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

DKII said:
auroragb said:
I can imagine that PS3 or 360 winning November or December because there is not enough Wii stock to satisfy demand while stock for the other consoles are plentiful. Kind of like how MS won Dec 2006

Truth.

Ive been saying the same thing. Mostly in the news articles here. Everyone is expecting the Wii to decimate this holiday season. Sure it has the POTENTIAL to, but will it have the supply? If there are 1m people out there in December that want a PS3, you better believe they wont have trouble finding them on shelves. But Wii's? Its looking like the Wii will be constrained ALL THE WAY UP UNTIL THE HOLIDAY SHOPPING STARTS. Some people need to digest what that will do to Nintendos ability to get the console stacked up in retailers back rooms. If they sell when they hit the shelf then the retailers wont have a surplus. And not only that, you see Nintendo is constrained WORLD WIDE. Explain to me how in the hell they will go from zero Wii's on shelves to the MILLIONS needed on shelves to fulfill demand this November and December in the US, EU and Japan. Seriously. PS3 and 360 can do it because they both already have consoles languishing on the shelves, by this holiday season the surplus of PS3's and 360s will be massive. Millions available in all 3 territories waiting for a home. The Wii? Not so much.

Im still predicting November and December NPD's show Wii getting its arse handed to it by both the PS3 and 360. Not due to a lack of consumer intrest but a lack of supply.

Around the Network

As people have said, if the Wii supply remains low going into the holiday season due to high demand, the 360 could possibly win December in the US due to having more supply. At this point, I don't think the 360 will outsell the Wii world wide in any month within the next couple of years. And there will be a lot of sad kids who wanted Wiis for Christmas and a lot of moms who waited in line to get them. Again.

As video game fans, I'm sure everyone here really wants Nintendo to be able to get a few million units on shelves for the holiday season so that customers can have whichever console(s) they want for Christmas.  Last year a lot of people got xbox 360s out of frustration when unable to buy the Wii.

TheBigFatJ said:
As people have said, if the Wii supply remains low going into the holiday season due to high demand, the 360 could possibly win December in the US due to having more supply. At this point, I don't think the 360 will outsell the Wii world wide in any month within the next couple of years. And t here will be a lot of sad kids who wanted Wiis for Christmas and a lot of moms who waited in line to get them. Again.

I wonder if the Wii continues to sell out into 2008 will people still call it a fad

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

There will be plenty of supply for Xmas 2007, don't worry about that. Whether is still sells out - is another question. Nintendo could supply 3m for US, and it could still sell out. A lot will depend on whether the Wii continues to sell out - even with larger shipments coming in. If it doesn't - Nintendo can stockpile. If it does - Nintendo may have to cut supplies to stockpile (something I hear they are doing anyway). Anyway - we'll see in a few months. A lot can happen between now and then ;)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I agree about the supply constrains. US has longer shopping season than Europe or Japan, so i think that in november US gets bigger share of Wiis than usual, compared to others, and december situation goes back to normal. But it's all about supply issues. Besides, if stores have large amount of PS3:s (by making stupid deals or Sony blackmailing retailers again), retailers may even sell PS3 on sale.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

I guess it come to whether you believe Nintendo is stockpiling some consoles for the Christmas rush or if they can up their supplies. I think if Nintendo doesn't win worldwide combined monthly sales it will be because of supply. I guess if I had to pick a month it would be December. The 360 needs to sell over 2 million in December to take it. I have a feeling Nintendo will have 2+ million units ready for Dec. Just a guess.