By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jon Blow Has Gone Into Debt Making The Witness

He should just port Braid to PS4 and XBO. I'm sure that would bring in some extra dough.

Around the Network

i have no idea why is taking so long, to be honest the premise of the game is not that interesting in my opinion.

I hope for his sake it makes some money. But yeah.....taking 6+ years to develop a game is never a formula for success.

the_dengle said:

He should just port Braid to PS4 and XBO. I'm sure that would bring in some extra dough.

Or hell, Wii U and 3DS eShop. After all, both seem to be thriving digital platforms. 

Will play it when it gets on PS+. It looks very intriguing.

Around the Network

To review:

Jonathan Blow started working on Braid in April 2005, just under ten years ago. The game came out in August 2008, three and a half years later. The Witness was announced in mid-2009, and has been in the works ever since. The two projects have cost a combined hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The results has been a 2D platformer that is not as smart as it thinks it is and takes about 5 hours if you're a completionist.

Braid was a perfectly fine game, but it wasn't exactly the Paragon of indie gaming some people make it out to be. It wasn't even that outstanding by the standards of the growing indie game market of 2008. 2008 had World of Goo, Audio Surf, Sam & Max, N+, and Castle Crashers. If anything, I would say that Castle Crashers was much more important for indie game development and success in recent years AND is still worth playing a few days later.

Love and tolerate.

well i hope it does really well then.

That's what businesses do. They borrow money to produce a product, and then when they start selling the product they expect to be able to pay off the money they borrowed and also make a profit.

How is fairly standard business practice somehow news in the gaming world?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
That's what businesses do. They borrow money to produce a product, and then when they start selling the product they expect to be able to pay off the money they borrowed and also make a profit.

How is fairly standard business practice somehow news in the gaming world?

because first he used up the millions he got from Braid instead of buying some caribbean island and spending the rest of his life partying

KingdomHeartsFan said:

Although its great to see a developer not rushing their game out the door, but after 6 years (and that's when we first learned about it, it was probably in development for longer) its getting to the point where your vision may be too ambitious for your own good. 

Final Fantasy XV (formerly Final Fantasy Versus XIII) has been in production for over 8 years if I recall correctly.