By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Getting Outmarketed By Smartphone Games

Yeah, Nintendo is pretty shit at marketing. Other than Mario/Smash/Pokemon -I've never seen any other ads from them this Gen.

Around the Network

The Kate Upton commercial is shit. Nintendo doesn't have to and shouldn't market their games with some celebrity bouncing her tits at you.

The Clash commercial is great though -- Clash actually has a history of consistent and good commercials. I'd guess that Nintendo is probably afraid to market their games with CGI; it's not like any part of that (or any) Clash commercial accurately represents gameplay.

StarOcean said:
Yeah, Nintendo is pretty shit at marketing. Other than Mario/Smash/Pokemon -I've never seen any other ads from them this Gen.

In 2014, Nintendo had television advertising for Bravely Default, Tropical Freeze, Yoshi's New Island, Kirby Triple Deluxe, Mario Kart 8, Tomodachi Life, Hyrule Warriors, Fantasy Life, Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros for 3DS & Wii U, Pokemon OR/AS

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
StarOcean said:

In 2014, Nintendo had television advertising for Bravely Default, Tropical Freeze, Yoshi's New Island, Kirby Triple Deluxe, Mario Kart 8, Tomodachi Life, Hyrule Warriors, Fantasy Life, Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros for 3DS & Wii U, Pokemon OR/AS

In which country? I didn't see a single commercial for any of those games on television, whereas I saw a ton of Playstation and XBox and now smartphone game spots. 

Tonight if I watch Better Call Saul, will be the first time I've seen a Nintendo commercial since over a year ago (the Wii Sports Andre Aggassi spot with the little girl). 

Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:

In which country? I didn't see a single commercial for any of those games on television. 

United States, go on their Youtube page, they have them all on their and they all literally say TV commercial in the title.

Most were exclusively on kids networks, I have a toddler in the house so our tv is usually on Disney Channel/Nickelodeon/Cartoon Network, so that's how I saw most of them.

I never saw the Bayonetta or Hyrule Warriors ads but they exist.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

In which country? I didn't see a single commercial for any of those games on television. 

United States, go on their Youtube page, they have them all on their and they all literally say TV commercial in the title.

Most were exclusively on kids networks, I have a toddler in the house so our tv is usually on Disney Channel/Nickelodeon/Cartoon Network, so that's how I saw most of them.

And there's your problem in a nutshell right there. I know the commercials exist, but that means dick all if they don't bother to run them on shows people actually watch. 

The time for advertisement is past. They would only be wasting money if they invested more heavily on it. The game sales wont be able to break even with it.

Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:

And there's your problem in a nutshell right there. I know the commercials exist, but that means dick all if they don't bother to run them on shows people actually watch. 

I get what ur saying to an extent but what networks do u really expect them to advertise Kirby,Yoshi, Pokemon on? Like Tbone said, Smash was on Comedy Central constantly which is very much watched by teens and adults. And Bayonetta clearly wasn't advertised on those networks.

Also Mario Kart 8 ads were aired in movie theaters before Godzilla

JWeinCom said:
Scisca said:
To all the people saying that it's a totally different thing to advertize a $0 game and a regular game and console and thinking they are oh so smart by just stating that - I somehow can't see much of a difference between these ads and what I see aired by MS/Sony. Take a look at this ad (don't know how to embed, sorry).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVsgso273EE

What's the difference? They all use celebrities and it works for MS/Sony, it works for mobile games, but somehow when it comes to Nintendo it's suddenly a different cattle of fish and they should be treated and behave in a different way? Somehow the Universe works differently when it comes to Nintendo? Please explain why you think it is so.

I think Nintendo is stuck in a coma, they have no identity whatsoever and have no idea what to do with themselves. The Wii had a clear message, both to casuals and the core gamers. At this point unless you are an active forum user you have no idea what Nintendo is trying to sell and why you should buy it (a sidenote to people eager to jump the gun - I plan to buy both N3DS and Wii U and think they are great products, but the general marketing is just non-existant). They need to get this sorted out and finally send a clear message. Getting celebrities on board wouldn't be a bad idea (in fact they had a Justin Bieber and Mariah Carrey 3DS ad a few years back, why is all that gone? Not that I like them, but it's better than nothing), but only after they finally find out what they actually want to do. At this point they just surrendered, quit the media space and took the low profile way of not spending anything on ads and settling for whatever profits the old faithful Nintendo fans give them. That's why they are only present on Youtube/Twitch - nobody but the old faithful fans cares about that or is exposed to it. Not a good long term strategy as they are losing mindshare and it's a scary perspective for the future. They are almost obliterated in the home console market and should they follow this gen with the Fusion console they could use all the help the handheld popularity could give them. Getting dominated in both markets and losing all mindshare makes it much more difficult for their next product.

And to all people arguing this shouldn't be just mobile vs. Nintendo, but vs. Sony and MS as well - mobile isn't competing with home consoles. It is destroying dedicated handhelds though and MS has never entered this market, while Sony has been eliminated from it this gen and they have already laid down their weapons. N is the last man standing and that's why it's only Nintendo's problem and their fight at this point. Mobile games won't pull people away from playing Halo at home

PS. Do you Americans really find this Upton hot? She's average at best to me. There are tons of hotter girls in every single club I go to. Such a blocky and unattractive figure... My gf has a much better body than she does.

The difference is when and where you advertise it.  Spending 4.5 million on a superbowl add isn't always a wise decision.  With that money, you could place 16 ads in prime time TV shows, which you could select to more carefully cater to your audience.  That's for top shows like the Voice or Big Bang theory.  For major but not the most major shows, you could be looking at 100K, which means 40 ads.  For non-primetime shows, obviously much less.

Now, when you're marketing something like Doritos, beer, life insurance, cell phones, or a F2P game where you have a very broad market, it makes sense to place an ad in the Superbowl.  If you're marketing something that has a more defined niche, you don't.  There is a reason why Microsoft and Sony aren't advertising in the Superbowl either.

Nintendo do their budget planning in advance and the ad agencies they employ have to look at the best and most effective ways to spend their budget
some will be spent on specific games and some on general advertising , also the media spread is important so is the  timing, no good putting out a Superbowl ad if you don't have a game just out or nearly out at the time of the advert , you also have to take into account seasonal factors like the fact that timing of the superbowl coincides with the slowest part of the gaming year.

I remember people talking about vita  and it's nonexistent advertising  but every time I watched Champions league football there  was vita plastered around the grounds beaming to a large audience sadly now replaced this season with PS4 , but it just goes to show how targeted todays advertising is.

Another thing to take into account is the need to be visible is much greater amongst F2P phone games than Nintendos games , if not you risk being swamped amonst the tens of thousands of similar games.

One last thing if I was Sony/ MS/ NInty advertising guru i would simply buy out Katie Uptons sex tape , then pick a game that needs all the sales it can get add the tape to it then you have your  Limited Edition game.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot