By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Getting Outmarketed By Smartphone Games

The people who play smartphone games aren't really gamers. They're just people who are looking for something to do to pass the time while waiting at the bus stop. They wouldn't even consider buying a 3DS.

Around the Network
SJReiter said:
The people who play smartphone games aren't really gamers. They're just people who are looking for something to do to pass the time while waiting at the bus stop. They wouldn't even consider buying a 3DS.

They bought the DS... This is Nintendo's current problem.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
SJReiter said:

They bought the DS because you couldn't really play games on phones back in those days.

Nintendo does not care about marker share or their fans, they only care about making profit for their share holders.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

SJReiter said:
MikeRox said:

They bought the DS because you couldn't really play games on phones back in those days.

I know, I'm just pointing out that, that group DID buy the DS, and so this is a big part of why Nintendo are finding themselves in their current position. Although marketing isn't the be all and end all, it could still potentially convince some of this market that actually, they do still want a dedicated handheld.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
MikeRox said:
SJReiter said:

I know, I'm just pointing out that, that group DID buy the DS, and so this is a big part of why Nintendo are finding themselves in their current position. Although marketing isn't the be all and end all, it could still potentially convince some of this market that actually, they do still want a dedicated handheld.

I doubt it. Like I said, these people are not really interested in playing games. They just want something to do to pass the time when they're out. No way you could convince these people to spend $200 on a dedicated handheld gaming device to play Smash or Pokémon or whatever, when they could just spend $0 and play Clash of Clans or Game of War. 

naruball said:
Don't know much about the US and celebrities affecting sales, but I remember that in the UK there was a time when wiiparty wasn't very successful but then a commercial for it aired with a popular UK band (think they're called JLS) and sales seriously picked up. Yes, a game you had to pay over 30 quid for.

And I don't get the whole "you can't judge x company from your armchair". Why not exactly? Just because Ninty is a powerful company, doesn't mean that they always make the right choices. Same with MS and xbone or Sony and ps3.

I feel that the ones running the company to the ground are the people who defend anything the company does and give them the wrong message. I think fans should be vocal in a respectful way so that the company can know what they need to at least consider changing.

The Wii was extremely highly saturated in the casual market at that point, and quite obviously the Wii U isn't in the same position. With Wii U advertisement, you have to do a lot more than simply convince someone to buy a game. First you need to convince them to buy the Wii U to replace their Wii, then you need to convince them to buy the game. Also, do you have a link for that? I'd quite like to read it if you do, as I am unable to find one. 

Anyways, its pretty obvious why marketing something that costs 0$ is different than something that costs $60 (+300$ including the console). Also, theres no need to pull any fanboy stuff in here. I don't think anyone would say that Nintendos marketing has been anywhere close to amazing, but quite frankly, Soundwave is making some pretty ridiculous and badly supported arguments (and ignoring some counter argument, like the one in my earlier post)...

radha said:
Nintendo does not care about marker share or their fans, they only care about making profit for their share holders.

its funny you say that, because Nintendo has been blatantly ignoring their share holders for years...

The things those commercials are marketing aren't really video games though. They're virtual beggars and mindshare thieves that live in your pocket.

Smartphone games out-market all 'traditional' gaming systems and their games, I see commercials for such games on TV constantly, whereas those for Nintendo/Playstation/Xbox games are very rare in comparison.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

I think Nintendo does a decent job with its YouTube channel and advertising in Twitch. They even have an official Twitch channel for Nintendo directs, E3, and other gaming events.

I want to argue that Nintendo needs to step it up on TV ads but i don't even watch TV anymore unless it is Netflix. Actually, I'm not even sure if people spend a lot of time watching TV these days thanks to social media and video streaming sites and services.