By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Getting Outmarketed By Smartphone Games

Squeezol said:
ZyroXZ2 said:
Uhm, to be fair, Kate Upton and Liam Neeson in both of those commercials outmarket anything Sony and MS has done as well...

It's actually more fair to say that this mobile game has outmarketed the entirety of consoles...

Good point. However, I think the point that some people try to make here is that smartphone games might be a threat for Nintendo, more than for Sony or MS.

They are not a threat for Sony/MS because they will be embracing them soon enough.

HIn regards to Nintendo, spending big marketing bucks isnt going to solve that anyway and they know that. 

Given the lack of Black Friday aggressiveness from them, this topic seems more like triage after a diagnosis lol.

Around the Network

Correct.

The only ads for Nintendo I ever see is on kids programs, and I rarely go there nowadays.

MK8 had a ad on a Normal channel and I was shocked. Nintendo is terrible with marketing.

Damn, Taken 3 must have really tanked!

WhiteEaglePL said:
Correct.

The only ads for Nintendo I ever see is on kids programs, and I rarely go there nowadays.

MK8 had a ad on a Normal channel and I was shocked. Nintendo is terrible with marketing.

This seems to be a thing with NOA, like 2-3 years ago they decided to basically only market on kids channels. 

And that portables only come in either black or kid-friendly candy coated colors. 

Soundwave said:
WhiteEaglePL said:
Correct.

This seems to be a thing with NOA, like 2-3 years ago they decided to basically only market on kids channels. 

And that portables only come in either black or kid-friendly candy coated colors. 

Those are like, the only colours lol.

(not including special editions. which have colour too lol.)

Around the Network

Apple is the king of hill video game industrial with smartphone & tablet. Ridiculously.

Can't believe Nintendo don't want to pay advertisement.

The only solution? Going mobile.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

I will agree that Nintendo's marketing outside games like Mario Kart 8 and Smash WiiU has been pretty lackluster this generation!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:

I will agree that Nintendo's marketing outside games like Mario Kart 8 and Smash WiiU has been pretty lackluster this generation!

I never even saw a commercial for either one (guess they were mostly on kids channels). And the commercials they made for both were rather mediocre. 

The last Nintendo commercial I can recall seeing was the Wii Sports U spots with Andre Aggassi from the previous holiday season, lol. I've seen that Kate Upton smartphone game commercial 10+ times the past week alone. 

Soundwave said:
Roronaa_chan said:
Who even plays these things? I don't know a single person IRL that does. Yet, I know that plenty do.. Scary world out there.

Apple sold 74 million iPhones in the three months of Oct-Dec '14 alone. To put that in perspective, Nintendo is struggling to hit 9 million 3DS' for their entire fiscal year (12 months) worldwide even with a new model revision. 

It's estimated that at least half of smartphone buyers game on their phone regularily/semi-regularily. And that's just iPhone alone, doesn't count other phone brands (Android) or tablets at all. 

Unless you live in 2004, odds are you know someone who plays smartphone games. 

Apparently the whole mobile dedicated  gaming market is endangered, while Nintendo is leading now with 3DS and that's why it look's like they the one who got attack,. Nintendo need Vita as a competitor to hold dedicated gaming market. But unfortunately it will not stay that long with how Vita current sales.